Division IV Sectional at Meigs

teach123
Freshman Team

Re: Division IV Sectional at Meigs

Post by teach123 »

Ironman,

I wouldn't count on folks in the league helping Waterford out on votes because of the way their coach has treated them over the years (running the score up and pressing with 20-30 and even 40 point leads). Especially since the vote is not face to face. Is Waterford very good? Absolutely!

Some in southeast Ohio still scratch their head at the fact Waterford is in the Southeast District. Geographically they should be in the east but petitioned the state to join the southeast when they joined the TVC.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

teach123 wrote:Ironman,

I wouldn't count on folks in the league helping Waterford out on votes because of the way their coach has treated them over the years (running the score up and pressing with 20-30 and even 40 point leads). Especially since the vote is not face to face. Is Waterford very good? Absolutely!

Some in southeast Ohio still scratch their head at the fact Waterford is in the Southeast District. Geographically they should be in the east but petitioned the state to join the southeast when they joined the TVC.
Yeah....Whiteoak on the other end is about 165 miles away from Waterford and on the far Western end, only 40 miles from Cincy

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Teach---I would agree with you in a perfect world but that isn't what happens in a seeding. Let's say Waterford ran me out of the gym twice and I'm pissed----but I think I can beat the 4th seed----I'll vote him 1 if he'll vote me where I want---because if I have to play 1 through 3 I'm toast.

I can forgive the beatings if it gives my kids a chance to win a Sectional.

Now I could do the same thing with ISJ or SW but I don't know their coaches and Waterford won't stiff me if he says yes to what I propose---he'll need me next year and need my vote in the league MVP selections.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I've argued for years that the only way to take the drama out and put fairness into the seeding process---is to go to a point system like football. No horse trading there---play quality competition and beat them and you get what you want.

This is mostly overblown except for the Sectional----I know it's happened but when is the last time someone seeded 5,6,7, or 8 seed in a Sectional won a District?

Two seeds matter the most to teams---number 1 because you get the other Districts 2 and the 4th and 5th seeds because here a weaker team can cut down the nets.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Have the seedings came out yet or is it next week?

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

This coming Sunday

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

This is how I think this sectional will go: (# = State Rankings)
1. South Webster (16-1) - plays in D-III Conference Division; Split with #5 Wheelersburg (18-1) (D-III)
2. Waterford (17-1) - Beat #7 Fort Frye (D-III)
3. Ironton St. Joe (13-5) - Owns Head-to-Head over Southern and Eastern-Meigs; 3 of 5 losses without best player.
4. Southern (15-4) - Owns Head-To-Head over Eastern-Meigs
5. Eastern-Pike (15-5) - 2-1 against Western-Pike (13-7); Beat Piketon (12-8)
6. Eastern-Meigs (14-6) - No quality wins
7. Trimble (6-14) - Owns Head-to-Head over South Gallia; Split (1-1) with Miller
8. South Gallia (6-12) -Owns Head-to-Head over Symmes Valley, Split (1-1) with Miller
9. Symmes Valley (7-12) - Split (1-1) with Western-Pike (13-7)
10. Miller (6-12) - Split (1-1) with South Gallia and Trimble
11. Green (0-?) or (1-?)

I think 1-2, 3-6, and 7-10 could go in different orders, but that's how I realistically see this sectional.

Appleg8
Waterboy

Post by Appleg8 »

After seeing both Waterford and South Webster play.Waterford is clearly No.1 seed South Webster is a close 2nd.Waterford beat Fairland who is a better team than Boyd County which is South Webster's biggest win.fairland also beat Wheelersburg easily.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I wouldn't want to face the Eastern Eagles if I was a higher seed. Someone might just end up being that "Quality Win". They are Tourney proven.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

I think south webster plays fairland this weekend. And as far as eastern pike vs SW or waterford. Apples and oranges. I would be more worried about ISJ.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

GoBucks1047 wrote:This is how I think this sectional will go: (# = State Rankings)

Eastern beat D-III Belpre (16-5) twice.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Waterford is better then South Webster.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I do think Fort Frye will beat Waterford on sat

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

enigmaax wrote:
GoBucks1047 wrote:This is how I think this sectional will go: (# = State Rankings)

Eastern beat D-III Belpre (16-5) twice.
My mistake, I must have overlooked that.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll guess

1. South Webster
2. Waterford
3. South Gallia
4. Southern
5. Eastern Pike
6. Eastern Meigs
7. Trimble
8. South Gallia
9. Miller
10. Symmes Valley
11. Green

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

SW beat Fairland today @ironton
Still think waterford 1 due to league alliance
SW 2
ISJ 3 again league alliance
Southern 4

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Waterford Lady Cats sweep Fort Frye 42-29 tonight. Now 18-1

Go Lady Cats!!!

Fundamentals
Varsity

Post by Fundamentals »

SW beats 3, count them 3, ranked teams, Wheelersburg, Boyd Co, and now Fairland by good margins. They play in a D3 and one D2 conference, and they are D4. They deserve to be number 1, but due to the fact they get sent to Meigs from Scioto County, no help as far as conference teams in that sectionl, they will probably get railroaded to 2. But they got to get some love from pollsters, and the coaches..

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Doesn't matter what sectional your in SW will eventually have to play waterford. But agree that is a long drive for a sectional game. SW should do what waterford did and petition the state to get moved to other sectional. Waterford was able to get moved into a different distrist so I don't see why SW couldn't move sectional. Anyone know why waterford wanted out of there old district? Was berlin highland or newark catholic in their old district?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

onthefence wrote:Doesn't matter what sectional your in SW will eventually have to play waterford. But agree that is a long drive for a sectional game. SW should do what waterford did and petition the state to get moved to other sectional. Waterford was able to get moved into a different distrist so I don't see why SW couldn't move sectional. Anyone know why waterford wanted out of there old district? Was berlin highland or newark catholic in their old district?
Waterford was in the East District when they were in the PVC with East District teams. When they changed conferences, they moved to the same district as their regular competition. Common sense move. Four of the six Washington County Schools are in the SE District, while Fort Frye & Frontier play in "East" conferences and remain in that district.

I would guess that if Warren or Fort Frye end up moving in a different direction (Warren to OVAC, Fort Frye to TVC), they would also switch districts. (Not speculating that FF will go to TVC, but the PVC will be down to 5 teams and others have mentioned the possibility on SEOPS).
Last edited by enigmaax on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Girls Basketball”