DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

nickle back
Freshman Team

Re: DIII Athens Sectional Seeding

Post by nickle back »

Can't dispute Westfall lost head to head and none of this will change peoples minds. Alexander is Westfall bad loss, Grove City, and Unioto being the other. (18-3) Best wins. Athens, good win early in season when they lost all their games and just lost their second best player during Alex rematch. ( hope for a speedy recovery). wins - push. Alexander(14-6) worst loss a 10-9 Lucasville Valley( at the draw) team that Neslonville & Southeastern beat easily. You cant just look at one game. If the records were reversed- Alexander 18-3. and Westfall 14-6 but a win over Alexander and a bad loss would they have gotten the 2 seed? the answer is no.
Don't care who Alexander has lost to in the new year, The real question is who have they beaten In the new year?

Little more TVC bias in this sectional, not good news for WF, SE, or Crooksville, have to win to advance anyway. this was not much of a shock but the way people try to justify it doesn't help.
Last edited by nickle back on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

buckeyedan
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyedan »

If only Valley were 7-11 that would have some merit.

But Valley is closer to 11-10 or something and went 1-3ish without their star guard Doddridge when she was out.

I don't know the exactness of all that, but I know those records are much closer than you state.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

I fixed it they lost to a 10-10, 6 seed in the Rock Hill Sectional. better? Doesn't matter if their star guard was out or not when they lost, they still lost just like W.F. did when playing Alex not at full strength. If the records were reversed , who would have the 2?

buckeyedan
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyedan »

Sour grapes?

I guess we will see Westfall versus Southeastern in the district final?

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

no sour grapes here Southeastern got the 4 seed, that's is the one they wanted. Don't know why because I felt like Mclain is the best team in the district but Would love to see that match up again with Westfall just didn't want it to be for a sectional final. like I said Southeastern is a year away from being very good but good enough to get it done this year. Didn't answer my question, because you know the answer. Who would have been the 2 if the records were reversed?

teach123
Freshman Team

Post by teach123 »

Bulldog,

Look who Belpre's wins are against! Belpre is DIII but play all DIV schools but one (Federal Hocking). Crooksville mainly plays DII and DII schools. You also stated they were 11-1 in last games. However, the only team they beat that had a winning record during that span was Southern.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I know Crooksville lost to a Caldwell team, who Belpre beat by more than 20 TWICE.
I know Miller hung with Crooksville for a little while before losing by 15 ... Belpre blew out Miller by almost 40 TWICE.

That's really all I need to know about comparing those two teams.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

This was a big cluster from the start with the two idiots that tried to dictate the seedings. the entire seeding process for this sectional was a joke, starting with river valley not only voting themselves the 1seed but, then Alexander, voting SE the 5 Wellston & River Valley voting them the 6. I predict this will be even a bigger mess next year when WF, SE, & Crooksville start playing the game. if I were these 3 teams I know who my 8,9,& 10 seeds would be but like others have stated it is good thing they don't let fans vote. It is set, so good luck to all.
Last edited by nickle back on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

nickle back wrote:This was a big cluster from the start with the two idiots that tried to dictate the seedings. the entire seeding process for this sectional was a joke, starting with river valley not only voting themselves the 1seed but, then Alexander, Wellston & River Valley voting Southeastern the 6. I predict this will be even a bigger mess next year when WF, SE, & Crooksville start playing the game. if I were these 3 teams I know who my 8,9,& 10 seeds would be but like others have stated it is good thing they don't let fans vote. It is set, so good luck to all.
Frankly, the way some of these coaches voted is an embarrassment to the schools they represent.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

nickle back wrote:This was a big cluster from the start with the two idiots that tried to dictate the seedings. the entire seeding process for this sectional was a joke, starting with river valley not only voting themselves the 1seed but, then Alexander, Wellston & River Valley voting Southeastern the 6. I predict this will be even a bigger mess next year when WF, SE, & Crooksville start playing the game. if I were these 3 teams I know who my 8,9,& 10 seeds would be but like others have stated it is good thing they don't let fans vote. It is set, so good luck to all.

See this really shows what you know because everything will change next year with the SE district only having 2 sectionals again instead of 3. Also, OHSAA will be re-aligning all divisions next year as well. So many of these teams may not be in the same sectional or division even. Maybe Westfall, and SE will be put with Hunt. and Piketon so they can 'team up' just like you say the TVC did against the might SVC this year.

Not saying I agree with what the RV coach did, but in the end she voted the way she thought would give her kids the best chance to win a tournament game. She wanted to avoid playing NY or Alex a 3rd time in a season. I know coach Evans-Moore and I am sure she doesn't think her team is the best team in the sectional by any means, but giving her team 10 points helped them jump down to the 6 seed instead of 7. Her team now has to play 1 game to get out of sectional instead of 2.

The problem is the way the SE district tallied the votes with giving points for places. So the RV coach gave herself a 1 seed? If they happen to upset Westfall and get out of the sectional, will people see it as a smart move? I think I would.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

You are correct, I know nothing. Point being, you might as well put the team names in a hat and pull blindly. I guess I have Higher morals and standards and try to not screw over kids. I agree she did what was best for "her" team as did the other adults, at the stake of hurting other athletes (kids)-- for example, Belpre and they have no problem with that. I do.
Last edited by nickle back on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

Speak to any coach in that sectional, I guarantee that no one was trying to avoid Westfall/SE. But it is obvious with RV coaches voting that she was trying to avoid NY and Alex by putting herself 1 which eventually got her the 6 spot, NY at 2 spot and Westfall at 3. They did not want to be at 7 and have to play Alexander.....She was going after Westfall.

If the voting would have went the way you thought it would you would have been the 2 seed having to play the winner of 7/10 which would be RV....so you really got what you wanted right?

Another thing, with how easily coaches are non-renewed/fired these days. They really do not have the luxury of worrying about the thoughts/feelings of other schools players.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

And you have to remember that a lot of Belpre getting knocked down was because they came into the seeding with a similar record last season and got hammered by a 6 seeded Wellston team. Many coaches and people on this site questioned Belpre getting the 3 seed a year ago and their inclinations proved to be right. I can tell you that one of the biggest factors in the voting is teams records vs. D2 or D1. I do not believe Belpre has any games against D2 do they? When you compare that to TVC and SVC schools who have many games and wins against D2 teams it is tough to put them above those schools.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CavsFan08 wrote:The problem is the way the SE district tallied the votes with giving points for places. So the RV coach gave herself a 1 seed? If they happen to upset Westfall and get out of the sectional, will people see it as a smart move? I think I would.
B.S. ... I would not think it was a smart move!

This is HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS, you must show some integrity and respect - is that not we ask of our kids, our student athletes?

If she wanted to vote her team 5 above Crooksville and Belpre, that is one thing ... voting herself the No. 1 seed was downright dirty and completely undermines the process.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CavsFan08 wrote:And you have to remember that a lot of Belpre getting knocked down was because they came into the seeding with a similar record last season and got hammered by a 6 seeded Wellston team.
Wellston won 70-50 last year and was probably a little better than what most people thought. They proved that by making it to the district championship game. But that's last year and this is this year. 2015 Belpre is a better team, they have a new coach and the TVC-Hocking was a much better (deeper) conference with four teams having at least 15 wins.

Just because a match-up plays out one way a year ago (Wellston beating Belpre) should not affect the way a team is perceived this year! If that was the case, the Trimble boys would be a 6 seed this Sunday. A lot can happen in a year, especially with a new coach at the helm. You take the information you have this season, evaluate it and make a decision on where that team should be seeded ... OR ... You can just do what River Valley did and put yourself on the top line and throw off the entire sectional.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote:B.S. ... I would not think it was a smart move!

This is HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS, you must show some integrity and respect - is that not we ask of our kids, our student athletes?

If she wanted to vote her team 5 above Crooksville and Belpre, that is one thing ... voting herself the No. 1 seed was downright dirty and completely undermines the process.
Agreed.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

I'm just glad that Westfall and SE didn't get the 4/5. With McClain sitting on the other side at a #1, I seriously think it would have been a joke for 2 of the 3 best teams on the district to be gone by the end of the district semis. Or maybe that was the plan in the beginning. Online voting is not the ticket. If you honestly can look across the table and be shady during the seeding process then at least do it to someone's face.
Last edited by Main Man on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

The coaches and kids put in alot of blood , sweat , and tears for this stuff to happen. Let's all be realistic. As said before it's for the integrity of high school sports.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

93Bulldog wrote:
CavsFan08 wrote:The problem is the way the SE district tallied the votes with giving points for places. So the RV coach gave herself a 1 seed? If they happen to upset Westfall and get out of the sectional, will people see it as a smart move? I think I would.
B.S. ... I would not think it was a smart move!

What you are all saying is that just now the process has been broke....no, the process has been bad for years. I have been there, coaches begin calling other coaches from the sectional in January to discuss what each is doing. The coaches knew who was voting what before the vote happened. I have been in these meetings where people have voted themselves 1 and got the 13 seed because they knew it would lock them in for the rest of their votes and they wouldn't have to vote anymore...it is just now more public.

So your telling me Bulldog, if RV pulls the upset against Westfall, you won't be happy for those kids?

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

Just because a match-up plays out one way a year ago (Wellston beating Belpre) should not affect the way a team is perceived this year! If that was the case, the Trimble boys would be a 6 seed this Sunday. A lot can happen in a year, especially with a new coach at the helm. You take the information you have this season, evaluate it and make a decision on where that team should be seeded ... OR ... You can just do what River Valley did and put yourself on the top line and throw off the entire sectional.[/quote]

Thats comparing apples and oranges..Trimble has a new coach (maybe best in SE Ohio). Belpre has same coach, played similar schedule. I could see your point if they would have went out in the off season and beefed up their non league schedule with some of the teams in the sectional but they didn't, they continue to play D4 schools in their non league. It is comparable but I am sure you will be right and me wrong simply because you run a web site and are on the radio

Return to “Girls Basketball”