Scioto Valley Conference at the Half

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Re: Scioto Valley Conference at the Half

Post by Sid Farkus »

Jerry Newman wrote:I found it odd that Huntington and Southeastern got a player on each 1st, 2nd and 3rd team. Unioto and Westfall received the same thing. Were those 4 teams equal talent wise? I find it hard to believe that two teams finishing 13-1 didn't have any more talent than a team finishing 10-4 and especially a team finishing 6-8. Did anyone else think this was strange?
I do think Southeastern's team was equal to Westfall and Unioto talent wise. I may be a bit biased, but I thought Audrey Wheeler should have made 1st team and obviously, many thought Ella Skeens was considered one of the best players, if not the best, in the league. I saw Huntington play twice, though, and they were not as talented as Unioto, Westfall, Southeastern or Piketon in my opinion.

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

According to the voting, I would say Coach Coreno did the most with the least and Coach Snyder did the least with the most. Either way, the two best teams in the league know who the players are!

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

It looks like everybody tried to make sure the pie was divided up even instead of picking the top players regardless of how many a team gets on the list.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

iknow wrote:According to the voting, I would say Coach Coreno did the most with the least and Coach Snyder did the least with the most. Either way, the two best teams in the league know who the players are!
I disagree with that. Coach Snyder didn't have a player bigger than 5'7" or 5'8". It's hard to win when you have a team that small that you are forced to put on the court. Coach Coreno did exactly what he should have done. He beat the teams he was more talented than and lost to the teams he had less talent than.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Sid Farkus wrote:
iknow wrote:According to the voting, I would say Coach Coreno did the most with the least and Coach Snyder did the least with the most. Either way, the two best teams in the league know who the players are!
I disagree with that. Coach Snyder didn't have a player bigger than 5'7" or 5'8". It's hard to win when you have a team that small that you are forced to put on the court. Coach Coreno did exactly what he should have done. He beat the teams he was more talented than and lost to the teams he had less talent than.
I think the point Iknow was trying to make is Huntington underachieved according to the teams because it had a first, second, third and two honorable mentions, just like Westfall, Unioto and SE, but finished fifth overall. It was basically a jab at the voting.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Can someone post the SVCSportzone all-league team? I understand they want you to listen to the podcast but by now they should have printed it somewhere on the website. I have saw all the SVC teams play twice this year and would go with the following. I tried to put them in order based on what I observed, the stats from the website, and the team's overall success.

1st Team
A. Overly
Skeens
Robinson
Lawhorn
Wheeler

2nd Team
T. Overly
Sams
Stonerock
Mathes
Woods

3rd Team
Nelson
Blanton
Unger
Gragg
Goebel

Honorable Mention
Cox
Fuchs
A. Reuter
K. Ward

Cox and Fuchs are deserving of 3rd team and I wouldnt/couldnt argue with anybody who would want to switch them for Goebel, Gragg, or Unger.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

Sid Farkus wrote:
Jerry Newman wrote:I found it odd that Huntington and Southeastern got a player on each 1st, 2nd and 3rd team. Unioto and Westfall received the same thing. Were those 4 teams equal talent wise? I find it hard to believe that two teams finishing 13-1 didn't have any more talent than a team finishing 10-4 and especially a team finishing 6-8. Did anyone else think this was strange?
I do think Southeastern's team was equal to Westfall and Unioto talent wise. I may be a bit biased, but I thought Audrey Wheeler should have made 1st team and obviously, many thought Ella Skeens was considered one of the best players, if not the best, in the league. I saw Huntington play twice, though, and they were not as talented as Unioto, Westfall, Southeastern or Piketon in my opinion.
If Southeastern was as talented as Westfall and Unioto then why were they 0-4 when playing them this year?

fulltilt
Waterboy

Post by fulltilt »

I have no dog in the fight and wont mention any names cause they are kids but Wheeler deserved 1st team.
She is one of the top 5 players in the league.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Well out of the 4 teams who finished the regular season over .500, all 4 have advanced to District play.

Things will get much tougher from here:

2/26 @Southeastern, Unioto vs Athens
2/26 @Waverly, Southeastern vs Greenfield McClain
2/26 @Waverly, Westfall vs Wheelersburg
2/28 @Waverly, Piketon vs Fairland

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Jerry Newman wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:
If Southeastern was as talented as Westfall and Unioto then why were they 0-4 when playing them this year?
As an outsider, I saw Unioto twice and Southeastern once. I will agree to a certain extent that Southeastern is talented, very talented. I really like the young Collins girl and Wheeler. I saw Ella Skeens play last spring and in my opinion, she is not any better than then, however, do not get me wrong, she is very athletic and very talented indeed. But I did not see any individual development since the last time I saw her and that was a little disappointing. The sky is the limit for that young lady, no doubt about it, but she could continue to hone her skills.

Unioto has Alexia Overly. She is a great player. The game she had against Southeastern is a testament to her winning attitude. However, her, or the Unioto team for that matter, is not tough. Mentally or physically. That will be evident in the coming games. But, Unioto has Jeff freaking Miller. Probably the smartest basketball mind, boys or girls, in the southeast district. The man can coach! He understands that to become a better basketball team, you must become better individually, by honing your skills, by playing your role, and being tough.

I wish both teams good luck in the tournament.

Return to “Girls Basketball”