SEOPS HOF

Re: Eastern( Reedsville ) @ Ironton St. Joe

Post by RiverRatRay »

Your right, just another sore loser!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Don't lump all Eastern fans into this category please. If Burdette was worried about playing catholic schools he wouldn't have played them. You'll hear no whining from 99% of us Eastern fans. Don't let the 1% take us all down

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Super Trooper, Nothing but respect for Eastern from ISJ. The chance to host the defending State Champs was a great experience for our girls and to beat a program like Eastern means a great deal. Is the Burdette girl getting playing time at UD? You know that makes her a Flyer now too :)

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Yes she's starting at point guard

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Not only is she now a Flyer, she is also playing at a Catholic University. Super Trooper there is always that one.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

onthefence wrote:All I'm saying is how to the "smallest schools" compete? What do they do if they don't recruit? Is it a pope thing?
A Pope thing? Playing the pope card, now that's funny. Nothing like someone pulling out a defamatory religious slam. Just goes to show the class or should I say lack of class from a sore loser.

Super Trooper, we understand about the 1%'ers. It's like motorcycle gangs/groups, there is that 1% that makes the rest look bad. As said by Dutch and Ray, SJ fans understand and like Charles Barkley says, "There are knuckleheads everywhere and they make everyone look turrrrble." SJ has nothing but good things for the Eastern program and 99% of their fans. :lol:

How do they compete, onthefence? They just happen to have a good group of girls in this senior class and one junior that has made a difference in the basketball program. That's it, period. No recruiting. No scholarships. No smoke and mirrors. As for, I am sure, your next assumption that this group is a basketball only thing, think again. Small schools need all their students to play more than one sport. Of the 7 female Flyers that played against Eastern, three are starters on the soccer team and two of those soccer players, play volleyball, while two others played volleyball, too. Four of the seven have played and will play softball in the spring. Just two are basketball only this season but have played other sports in the past.

Your assertion that this is a recruited, basketball factory is pure fiction and something that comes straight off a stable floor. Jealousy is something that isn't becoming a poster on SEOPS. All these accusations do is spit in the face of hard working kids that have done absolutely nothing wrong. For that matter, neither have their parents. They chose a path for their kids to attend a strict, structured and faith-based educational institution for reasons, obviously, you, onthefence, cannot or refuse understand.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, well, maybe so is jealousy.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Well, I'm not sure how to respond. Didn't realize my comment would cause this. If your responses are the result of your "faith based family atmosphere" then I am clad my parents could not afford to send me to a Catholic school. Quite hypocritical of you. I understand someone trying to defend their school but your insults truly reflect you but hopefully not your school. By your response this is obviously a touchy subject and not the first time it has been brought up.
I again apologize for my statement. I wish your team a safe season. And remember faith can be taught at public schools too. Please don't assume that just because a parent can't send there kids to a private school that they are bad parents. And I wont assume that every parent that does is a good parent.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

OK, "onthefence", this is not a "touchy subject" and definitely IS the first time it has been brought up. What do we have to recruit with??? Certainly not top-notch facilities. Our coaches are mostly volunteers and what we do pay isn't enough to cover their gas back and forth to practices. What upsets me about your remarks is that this group of girls is special. They have worked very hard. They took their lumps and stayed together to create this team. Last year they were 3rd in the state for academics (all divisions). For you to belittle their efforts by even hinting that they were "recruited" is absolutely ridiculous.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

onthefence wrote:And remember faith can be taught at public schools too.
I hope for the Catholic kids' sake that attend the publics' in Lawrence, Meigs or whatever county you're from that you're not the one teaching faith.

And just as a more general response - as a supporter of a school that resonates with ISJ's mission in faith, academics, community, and preparation for college, majority of us aren't fans of the reality that tuition precludes many hard-working, dedicated and virtue-instilling families from sending their kids to our schools. If there were some other way our schools could be supported that was moral we'd sure as sugar go for the opportunity. If schools such as Portsmouth N.D. and ISJ, to name a few, were able to exist at full or near-full capacity while also being able to provide the maximum experience to our kids academically, spirirtually, socially and in some cases athletically or (quick Johnny, find me an adjective that describes performing arts extracurriculars) then we'd want it. Schools such as ISJ can benefit the most from more families able and willing to invest in the school by being able to purchase newer technology, improve the school facilities and potentially lower the tuition - but ultimately what many of us rural Catholic schools want is a kid that's willing to grow in our confines and be apart of our family and tradition... whether they're fast, slow, big, small, deaf, dumb or blind and catholic or not we'd welcome them with open arms. Whether or not they can dribble a basketball or hit a baseball is immaterial, although certainly we'd value their gift just as much as we'd value the gifts our of kids that are musically inclined, critically minded, or even just your average kid.

The small private schools such as ISJ might not have a lot going for them athletically at certain age levels even up to high school varsity. Might not have many physically advantageous bodies or skill, but those who are willing to work and develop will get their fill at the end. And that's why people are proud the Lady Flyers are 5-0... and that's also when the heavily-rooted disdain for the Catholic schools start coming out; because we all know if they were 0-5 no one outside of the school would bat an eye.

Hope to see the Lady Flyers at the Convo. Go ISJ!

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

RiverRatRay wrote:Hey St Joe how many of your 12 graduating Seniors did you recruit last year.
Just a quick aside, and someone can PM me if need be - but how average is this for ISJ? Marion Catholic's final class was seven - different dioceses I know, but hopefully the Diocese of Steubenville has done their fair end of keeping the school alive and pumping to its fullest potential!

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Oh "hiflyer" Apples and oranges on your academic comment. Probably don't have alot of "free lunch" kids going to Catholic schools . Not trying to take anything away from your kids but thats apples and oranges. I wish I could have sent my kids to a smaller private school. With only 12 kids in a class that would increase their odds of winning valedictorian.
And formercfan don't worry I'm not a teacher so its safe to send your kids to any public school.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Is ISJ in that showcase at Ironton over the christmas break?
Who do they play?

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Only the ISJ boys play in the Ironton Classic but the girls do play in the Ironton shootout in Feb.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

RRR, I knew something would eventually bring you back...And you have a good reason on this one.God knows we've done enough defending of teams,players and coaches on this board in the past. :122249 Correct me if I'm wrong isn't St.Joe the smallest school in the state? Congrats to St.Joe on the win!!
Last edited by Black Panther on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jinks
Freshman Team

Post by jinks »

Not sure, but I believe we are the smallest school in the state that participates in team sports.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

highflyer wrote:Not sure, but I believe we are the smallest school in the state that participates in team sports.

Not sure...there are several smaller but not sure if they participate in girls high school basketball.

Shekinah Christian typically has a team and only has 12 girls.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I can't get anything to paste on here.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

The Ironton St Joe Boys report 18 boys and play basketball, soccer, baseball and golf. They did use one girl on their golf team. Not sure what they report on as far as girls but they play basketball, volleyball, soccer and softball. Like I said previously they did use a girl on their boys golf team. I don't think there is another smaller 4 sport playing school in the State. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. Black Panther it's nice seeing you again. It's sure been awhile. We go way back that's for sure. It is really a pleasure talking with folks that helped build this site from scratch. Not too many of them still around.

You know how I am when it comes to defending schools and kids that have statements made about them that are untrue and unfounded. I do hang my head in shame because I do know that some schools do what this little school is being accused of doing by this poster. In fact I ran into this just a week or so ago when I talked with a minister from a christian school and he told me of one of his student had transferred to a school when promised that his tuition would be paid if he attended that particular school. This just so happened to be their basketball best player. So you see it does happen. How do they get by with it, plain and simple, call it an academic scholarship. So onthefence you are right in some instances just not in this instance. I can assure you it doesn't happen at Ironton St Joe.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

highflyer wrote:Not sure, but I believe we are the smallest school in the state that participates in team sports.
Highflyer, I see that you're back but noticed you haven't replied to my pm. I just have to know, why would a fellow St. Joe guy bash other St. Joe guys like you did on the football forum?

Return to “Girls Basketball”