officials

G.W.A.
All Conference

officials

Post by G.W.A. »

Does ohio have a non bias group review the officials that do these state tournament games? The D4 final was horrible, i have saw better refs in Glouster.

Super trooper
All State

Re: officials

Post by Super trooper »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the officiating was horrible

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Me too, the little guy couldn't get up and down the floor and was always out of position, the bald guy seemed to want to be the show calling almost everything. The other guy hardly called a thing. my understanding is it's who you know, not how good you are. for example they changed it so that you couldn't' work the boys or girls state tournament every year, they went to every other year. You still see the same officials working it every other year. sometimes some officials will work the girls, then the boys then the girls and the boys. I know coaches vote and AD's and such but if an official works the minimum games with a few coaching buddies he'll get great ratings. So you have a guy that works the minimum of 14 or 16 games then you have another official that will work 40 games. There's a better chance you'll get worse ratings working the 40 then the minimum. It's a flawed system and won't change. I believe they call this the buddy system.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

It is alive and well in SEO also, not just Columbus.

Officiating has gotten worse each year lately to the point you just shake your head. Problem is there are no good young officials and the young ones we have are being trained by the ones that are a problem.

supermama
Freshman Team

Post by supermama »

Well at least it wasn't just the Eastern fans who felt this way! The crew that did our regional final was the last good crew we saw. Consistent, fair, and kept the game moving. The state crews were hideous and to top it off, they set their families right in the middle of fans! Let me tell you, the bald guys family is pretty thinned skinned! His son, had to be-looked just like him, kept yelling at the Eastern fans that it was and I quote "just a HIGH SCHOOL game". Told us all to calm down and be quiet. OHSAA needs to change a lot of things and this system of assigning refs for these games is just one of them!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

The state tournament refs could've been the worst I've seen all year

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

fighting_falcon wrote:It is alive and well in SEO also, not just Columbus.

Officiating has gotten worse each year lately to the point you just shake your head. Problem is there are no good young officials and the young ones we have are being trained by the ones that are a problem.
I disagree!! There are plenty of good young refs. Gilmore, meenack (sp), michaels, etc... Also saw some nice newbie JV refs. Problem is all the seniority refs work higher levels. Experience and who you know . Is it right? In some ways! Will it change? Probably not.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

I agree that it is bad in southeast also. I was almost embarrasing to watch them clowns in the D4 state final. Out of position is one thing but to call what you think happen instead of what really did happen is another. I dont buy the bitch that many Eastern fans had about the fouls being equal in number. That is just part of the game. My biggest problem was inconsistent calls from quarter to quarter and depending on which end of the court it was on. I saw only one bad call for the catholic school and that was a shot of theirs was clearly blocked by Eastern and they gave Eastern the ball even after a mid court discussion. They were a very bad crew

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

G.W.A. wrote:Does ohio have a non bias group review the officials that do these state tournament games? The D4 final was horrible, i have saw better refs in Glouster.
Yer right and the best refs is in Racine.

SvGirl07
Waterboy

Post by SvGirl07 »

The problem in the SOC from what I have been told is that the officials are assigned but have a say in which games they want. Many nights all the good refs are doing the best teams or games and we get stuck from refs out of the area that cannot get games local to them. There are some good refs in the SOC the problem is you might get them once a year or not at all.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

the good news is its far better overall than 3 -4 years ago when my daughter was a freshman . Past two big improvements in SEO , at least IMO .

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

There are many quality officials in SE Ohio, we have some of the better young guys in the State.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Regulator wrote:

I disagree!! There are plenty of good young refs. Gilmore, meenack (sp), michaels, etc... Also saw some nice newbie JV refs. Problem is all the seniority refs work higher levels. Experience and who you know . Is it right? In some ways! Will it change? Probably not.
That is your opinion. Maybe you saw some but I didn't. The young officials were more about "the show", out of position, etc.
My opinion is the level of officiating was as poor as I have seen in a while at all levels.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

fighting_falcon wrote:
Regulator wrote:

That is your opinion. Maybe you saw some but I didn't. The young officials were more about "the show", out of position, etc.
My opinion is the level of officiating was as poor as I have seen in a while at all levels.
Ok, my opinion is the level of play was as poor as I have seen in a while at all levels. So it equals out!

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

You are correct.
Eastern wins state championship, only loss to Huntington St. Joe
Athens ranked in top five in state advance to sweet sixteen lose to state champion
NY advances to sweet sixteen
Jackson has great season state ranked, possibly upset by Athens depending on who you root for.
Those are just some on the girls side, I could go on about boys side but won't.

I think level of play in our area of the state was actually better than has been in a while.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

You listed 4 schools. Out of how many? 70 or so in se ohio! congratulations .

You have proven my point. Thanks. :razz:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

fighting_falcon wrote:
Regulator wrote:

If you know all about the mechanics of officiating, why don't you put on the whistle and go out and mentor these young officials and help them with being a positive influence instead of bitching about them in secret on the Internet?

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Its not in secret if its on here pot head.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Pol Pot wrote:
If you know all about the mechanics of officiating, why don't you put on the whistle and go out and mentor these young officials and help them with being a positive influence instead of bitching about them in secret on the Internet?
I can tell you why. Because it is much easier to cry and complain than it is to do something about it. Also, I doubt that many of the people on here complaining have any idea about proper mechanics. If they did put on the whistle you can be sure that they would always be right about ever call, just like they are from the stands. :mrgreen:

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

You should know about complaining and hiding behind screen name.
I have been an official in the past, no way would I do it now. To much extra crap to put up with, don't have the energy. Plus you just expose yourself to people like you to get on here and complain about how bad a call was or this or that. Just go back and looks at the posts in other threads about officials. Three great games in the boys D2 at the convo and instead of talking about the level of play of those teams people get on here and talk about how did this official get this game, he was about the show, etc.

As far as listing 4 teams I did not want to list all them. I will agree that some are awful but so are they all around the state but the upper half played some good ball and had quality players.

Return to “Girls Basketball”