Eastern vs Huntinton St Joe

cobweb
JV Team

Re: Eastern vs Huntinton St Joe

Post by cobweb »

Had all intentions to see this game, goofed around and missed my planned departure and, then, didn't go. Definitely the wrong decision. The Eagles are a great team, St Joes is "big girl" basketball program. When you look at their schedule, it's hard to imagine how they qualify for the WV high school state tournament. I suspect that is why that kind of team exist in WV. I didn't count but the majority of their games are against out of state competition.

Nice article Brian! Now, will you share your BB fan perspective with us? Did a hosing occur down the stretch?

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

St joe has a girl headed to Notre Dame and one headed to another D1 school. They are legit. Easterns Burdette will suit up for Dayton next year and proved she's legit. Eastern plays in a league that doesn't prepare them for tough games like these.

superman06
Riding the Bench

Post by superman06 »

So how did Eastern lose this game? The answer is simple......coaching. The Eagles had a 9-point lead with 1:47 remaining in regulation. Unlike Huntington St. Joe, who made sure the ball was in their best player's hands (Johnson), Eastern did not get Burdette the ball. Burdette should have gotten the ball and milked the clock. Then, St. Joe would have had to foul which would have sent Burdette to the line numerous times. Good coaches make sure their best players have the ball when the game is on line. Who shot the game-tying 3-pointer for St. Joe? No one other than Johnson, of course. Eastern fans can whine and complain about getting hosed by the refs. They got hosed by their own coaching. It was deja vu all over again (state playoffs - 2013).

ADVICE FOR THE FUTURE: Take a page from Norm Persin's playbook and milk the clock when you have a lead!!!!!!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

superman06 wrote:So how did Eastern lose this game? The answer is simple......coaching. The Eagles had a 9-point lead with 1:47 remaining in regulation. Unlike Huntington St. Joe, who made sure the ball was in their best player's hands (Johnson), Eastern did not get Burdette the ball. Burdette should have gotten the ball and milked the clock. Then, St. Joe would have had to foul which would have sent Burdette to the line numerous times. Good coaches make sure their best players have the ball when the game is on line. Who shot the game-tying 3-pointer for St. Joe? No one other than Johnson, of course. Eastern fans can whine and complain about getting hosed by the refs. They got hosed by their own coaching. It was deja vu all over again (state playoffs - 2013).

ADVICE FOR THE FUTURE: Take a page from Norm Persin's playbook and milk the clock when you have a lead!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes....

Anyways giving up a 9 point lead in 1:00....there are only a few ways to go about that. HSJ when in desperation mode is insanely quick especially Mychelle Johnson who I'm guessing was on Burdette....but it's simply unfathomable that Eastern had a 9 point lead with 1:50 left and lost....and was tied just over a minute later?

Free throws aren't eye-popping 16 for Eastern and 23 for HSJ...Eastern only hit 56%, blame could be there as well.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

Made the trip today. Eagles lead Boyd Co by 5 at half, 28 - 23. Eagles having to play on tired with too little rest between tough games. Hope they have enough to make it through the second half.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Up 41-28 heading to the 4th. Gotta close this one out

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:Up 41-28 heading to the 4th. Gotta close this one out
Thanks for the update.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Eastern 51 Boyd 41

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:Eastern 51 Boyd 41
Thanks Trooper

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol.....pretty much played a double-header.

Good win. MD said they were down but they also were said to have given Newark Catholic their only loss.

I think we've seen Eastern's last loss.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

Cobweb,

I wasn't there. Alex went and wrote the story.

All I will say is that it was the hardest and most frustrated I have ever seen him while doing a story.

He's been right beside me for over 2 years.

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

bdubya wrote:Cobweb,

I wasn't there. Alex went and wrote the story.

All I will say is that it was the hardest and most frustrated I have ever seen him while doing a story.

He's been right beside me for over 2 years.
Thanks, bdubya! Saturday morning's clash was incredibly lopsided by the stripes. The Eastern faithful to whom I spoke all said the officiating was horrific in the St Joe game, described to be multiple times worse than the calls in the Boyd Co game.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

The girls will be fine. In fact, this could be a blessing in disguise.

They were pushed beyond 4 quarters and know what they could have done to prevent it.

Now they are mad - and extremely focused.

It's the right mind set to have headed into the final week of the regular season.

Personally, I think you are better taking an L than going unbeaten in the regular season.

Return to “Girls Basketball”