Public 3 Private 1(No crying from the private side)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Public 3 Private 1(No crying from the private side)

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Congrats to all 4 state champions.
U Ladies rock.

Spartan
All Conference

Re: Public 3 Private 1(No crying from the private side)

Post by Spartan »

I am a public school guy, but I gotta agree. The slimy underbelly of some AAU organizations use their influence to get kids to go to certain schools - blatant recruiting.

Congrats - it truly was a great final four from a fan's standpoint.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

I think this topic probably could've done without. On the girls side, it is a pretty black & white issue. Successful programs win, non-successful programs do not. Teams that have once in a lifetime squads, public or private, generally make it into the regional level at the very least. Some of the highest ranked teams in the state of Ohio that were private schools got bounced in Sectional play (ISJ, FCA, etc). The team that Waterford played in the final four will likely not see the Final Four again for a while.

Fun fact, Archbishop Alter's 30-0 squad was entirely comprised of girls that went through the Catholic Schools system in Dayton. The school they beat, Toledo Rogers, was an AAU-extension that picked up girls from areas such as Wauseon (not in Lucas County) over the past two years.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Your last paragraph is exactly what I was saying.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Some may argue that winning breeds winning. And that people who want to win will send there kids to schools that win. I still think that is unfair to the other teams bit it is what it is. I don't think that dynastys happen without some help from recruiting. I know in southern ohio we saw the oakhill dynasty in the past and now it is the waterford dynasty. I Think that makes it that much more special when you see a team like eastern meigs last year win it all the right way with a once in a lifetime group of girls. Just my 2 cents.

Billybob55
JV Team

Post by Billybob55 »

onthefence wrote:Some may argue that winning breeds winning. And that people who want to win will send there kids to schools that win. I still think that is unfair to the other teams bit it is what it is. I don't think that dynastys happen without some help from recruiting. I know in southern ohio we saw the oakhill dynasty in the past and now it is the waterford dynasty. I Think that makes it that much more special when you see a team like eastern meigs last year win it all the right way with a once in a lifetime group of girls. Just my 2 cents.
You obviously know nothing about waterford if you think they recruit. The majority of the kids parents went to waterford and all the kids have lived in waterford their whole life. Get out of here

Spiderjon
Freshman Team

Post by Spiderjon »

Private schools make up about 18% of OHSAA member schools, yet they win about 50% of the state championships. I don't understand why we cannot have a private school division.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

onthefence wrote:Some may argue that winning breeds winning. And that people who want to win will send there kids to schools that win. I still think that is unfair to the other teams bit it is what it is. I don't think that dynastys happen without some help from recruiting. I know in southern ohio we saw the oakhill dynasty in the past and now it is the waterford dynasty. I Think that makes it that much more special when you see a team like eastern meigs last year win it all the right way with a once in a lifetime group of girls. Just my 2 cents.
billybob55 said it already, but it's worth saying again. Waterford has not only been a top team in the region for more than a decade, they've just been working with girls born and raised in their district. I'm not from there, but some friends asked me to coach a couple of their elementary teams several years ago, and I guarantee you it was the same girls moving up through the district year after year. Nobody's moving or transferring to Waterford, OH to play basketball. They're a true community team and deserve to be recognized that way.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Waterford is the real deal with homegrown kids and Spiderjon is right.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Then it must be something in the water. Right?

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Some committed and talented people built a winning culture. They love the game and work hard year round.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Yeah. That must be it. Developed may be a better word than Built. Developed implies that you make better what you got.

Billybob55
JV Team

Post by Billybob55 »

And they're working hard again this offseason. They have been going to shoot outs and competing with very talented division 1 schools, even beating some of them.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Disagree.
How many of H20fords girls are recruits?
How many of Eastern meigs girls were Recruits?

Return to “Girls Basketball”