TVC GIRLS BASKETBALL - 2015/2016

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: TVC GIRLS BASKETBALL - 2015/2016

Post by Orange and Brown »

ArmChairQB wrote:Pretty sure the previous coach was one of the best Athens has ever had!
Something tells me jumpstop is a parent who had a player who didn't get to play much under the previous coach........ I could be wrong though

Athens is the biggest school in the TVC and they only have enough jv players to go 2 quarters. Some of their better players refused to play this year. This new coach may end up being a good one, but I don't get how anyone can get on this site and imply the previous coach wasn't good. Someone has some sour grapes.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

GIRLS BASKETBALL SCORES: 12/21

Athens - 24
Alexander - 44

Nelsonville-York - 62
Trimble - 37

Vinton County - 53
River Valley - 26

Meigs - 48
Wellston - 30

Eastern - 30
Waterford - 48

Belpre - 72
Wahama - 14

Southern - 65
Fed Hock - 25

Miller -
South Gallia -

tvcfan8
Waterboy

Post by tvcfan8 »

Waterford is impressive. I don't see anyone touching them for a few years. Well coached and disciplined. Patient and don't panic. Fun to watch. Coach is one of the best I've seen. Let's his stars shine. Thing is, a very balanced team. Don't have to rely on just one girl. It'll be great to see if they can go all the way.

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Way to go Lady Cats!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

GIRLS BASKETBALL SCORES 12/28

Athens - 29
Jackson - 52

South Webster - 58
Alexander - 49

Nelsonville-York - 44
Waterford - 50

Vinton - 71
Fed Hock - 33

Meigs - 54
wahama - 18

Wellston - 28
Minford - 61

Belpre - 36
Parkersburg - 88

Southern - 52
Williamstown - 72

South Gallia -
Sciotoville -

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Word on the street is that due to injuries and girls quitting , Eastern will now start a Jr. So. And 3 freshmen. Time to work on next season /most likely with a new coach.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I hate that the community was split tonight, but congratulations to the girls on a huge win at Greenfield McClain.

Go Alex.

tvcfan8
Waterboy

Post by tvcfan8 »

ArmChairQB wrote:Word on the street is that due to injuries and girls quitting , Eastern will now start a Jr. So. And 3 freshmen. Time to work on next season /most likely with a new coach.

I just heard this too. So sorry to hear about this injury. Hopefully, she can recover for next year. She's the real deal.

dolphin
Waterboy

Post by dolphin »

Who got injured???

Jayski
Waterboy

Post by Jayski »

I am well aware of the OHSAA rules as they pertain to off-season workouts. Does a coach have to "require" a player to get better or should that be the want of the player? The point that I was trying to make was also an answer to another question. It is going to take time for these girls to learn to play with each other and they will before tournament time comes....that is if outsiders do not screw it up (like calling for a coaches head after 100 wins and a two trips to the state). Kids have to want to get better and unify as a team. These two things happen in the off-season...if they put the work in to it. If they wait until the season to accomplish this, it will take most of the season. The girls in the past played all summer long, every year for many years. They accomplished great things by doing so. All winning teams and successful stories have a common denominator; WORK ETHIC. That is why very few success stories derive from the welfare system! Nothing is given, it has to be earned!

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Didn't Eastern just win a state championship ? And now girls are quitting?

Jayski
Waterboy

Post by Jayski »

One girl quit...same girl who also quit softball to focus on basketball, and quit volleyball due to losing playing time. In my opinion, it's her thing to quit. She was a decent player who could score in the post. However, she was slow. Last year she played due to not having any better post players. This year, there are freshman players who are just as good of post players only faster. The writing was on the wall so to speak when it came to playing time. I am awaiting the rebuttal to this analysis and how it is the coaches fault. Entitlement issues?!

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

That clears it up, although I suspected as much. Entitlement abounds in our society today as much as ever.

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Jayski wrote:One girl quit...same girl who also quit softball to focus on basketball, and quit volleyball due to losing playing time. In my opinion, it's her thing to quit. She was a decent player who could score in the post. However, she was slow. Last year she played due to not having any better post players. This year, there are freshman players who are just as good of post players only faster. The writing was on the wall so to speak when it came to playing time. I am awaiting the rebuttal to this analysis and how it is the coaches fault. Entitlement issues?!
Well anyhow -due to injuries and a defection there are now 2 starters left from last years team that was decent, they should have returned everyone . Eastern only has one true post player and that is a problem and due to injuries they can't even get the ball up court against a good team. This team is not improving and will probably win only one tournament game.

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Jayski wrote:I am well aware of the OHSAA rules as they pertain to off-season workouts. Does a coach have to "require" a player to get better or should that be the want of the player? The point that I was trying to make was also an answer to another question. It is going to take time for these girls to learn to play with each other and they will before tournament time comes....that is if outsiders do not screw it up (like calling for a coaches head after 100 wins and a two trips to the state). Kids have to want to get better and unify as a team. These two things happen in the off-season...if they put the work in to it. If they wait until the season to accomplish this, it will take most of the season. The girls in the past played all summer long, every year for many years. They accomplished great things by doing so. All winning teams and successful stories have a common denominator; WORK ETHIC. That is why very few success stories derive from the welfare system! Nothing is given, it has to be earned!
they can only "play together " for a couple weeks in the summer... But they all need to get on travel teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

GIRLS BASKETBALL RESULTS - 1/4/2016

Meigs - 61
Fed Hock - 46

Wellston - 35
Glennwood - 55

River Valley - 44
Oak Hill - 50

Eastern - 57
Trimble - 20

Waterford -
South Gallia -

Belpre - 69
Miller - 42

Southern - 61
Wahama - 16

tvcfan8
Waterboy

Post by tvcfan8 »

ArmChairQB wrote:
Jayski wrote:One girl quit...same girl who also quit softball to focus on basketball, and quit volleyball due to losing playing time. In my opinion, it's her thing to quit. She was a decent player who could score in the post. However, she was slow. Last year she played due to not having any better post players. This year, there are freshman players who are just as good of post players only faster. The writing was on the wall so to speak when it came to playing time. I am awaiting the rebuttal to this analysis and how it is the coaches fault. Entitlement issues?!
Well anyhow -due to injuries and a defection there are now 2 starters left from last years team that was decent, they should have returned everyone . Eastern only has one true post player and that is a problem and due to injuries they can't even get the ball up court against a good team. This team is not improving and will probably win only one tournament game.
This is no slam to any one player, like singling out a 16 year old and calling her slow smh, but Southern easily exploited the lack of height on Eastern's team. I saw no height in the freshmen class. I'm not sure how you think speed is is going to compete with height when the taller opponents don't have to leave their feet to rebound. Southern and Waterford made that perfectly clear. It was interesting to hear that the true post player was suddenly able to play a full game against Trimble. Curious why that hadn't been happening all season. I'm all for this freshmen class coming up through the ranks but if you're going to try to tell me that the personnel on this team is better than last years, I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with that one. I'll pose the same question to you, tell me how the team is better off this year than last years team? How is the freshmen class making this a better team?

These young girls will make an impact on the team but when you struggle pushing the ball up the floor it's gonna be a long night. The games I saw the ball handlers weren't looking up. That's a recipe for disaster. This wasn't supposed to be a rebuilding season, it was supposed to be an even better year than last. That's clearly not going to happen and if you think the post season is going to be a long one I'm afraid you're wrong there also. There are some serious problems up there in Reedsville. Not sure what they are but my sources tell me things will be VERY different next year.

Is the Williams girl out for the season or will she be back?

Jayski
Waterboy

Post by Jayski »

First, when it comes to sports and sports topics, stating physical facts that pertain to ability to play is by no means a bad thing. Calling her stupid or ugly would be something to shake your head over! Me saying she was slow has similarities to your statement about height...should I shake me head that you may be referring to someone being short?

Second, I am glad you are pointing out some relevant facts about why they are not winning instead of pointing fingers at the coach like other posts. Like size being exploited by Southern...even though that had little to do and much to do about the fact that Southern shot nearly 60% for the game to Easterns 20%! Before you go there, they weren't all lay-ups or 4 footers! Size does matter...but if you have a tall player who is slower than a snail (generalized statement) what good are they when they are getting beat to the ball by a faster taller or shorter player? These are just a few things a coach cannot control.

Third, I never stated that it is a rebuilding year. I sure as heck wouldn't call it another deep run in the tourney and league champs kind of year either. What was the record last year 19-6? I believe they are sitting 7-3 right now, with at least 7/8 give-me wins left. With some maturation, they could get 10...that would put them around 17-5 which is very similar to last year...wouldn't it? Is that the major drop off or the struggles your are referring to? I'm sure you are aware that other teams have the opportunity to get better also. Waterford and Southern both have improved...more than Eastern, perhaps. My suggestion is to relax and let the season play out. Nobody thought the volleyball team, which was a .500 team, would make it basically 4 sets from the State Tournament.

Fourth, if Coach Burdette leaves I wouldn't blame him. To throw mud at a guy that has helped produce more wins over a 6-7 year period than the other 40 years combined, along with two state titles and multiple district titles, sounds like the right thing to do. Besides, Eastern is such a rich tradition that pays their coaches quite handsomely and all top coaches in the state of Ohio are just beating down Mr. Gheen and Mr. Fogels door wanting in.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If Eastern does decide to make changes - could someone please post it as soon as that occurs. I know of about 20 teams/schools that would be lining up for Coach Burdette's services. Heck, I know of some boys programs that would probably love to have him.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

If Coach Burdette does leave after this season it will be under his own power and would not be for another job. He would love to watch his daughter play at Dayton and drive his race car. Coach Burdette is coveted by Eastern and I doubt they would push him out the door.

Return to “Girls Basketball”