Lady Chiefs 2007-2008

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

flat: only a person who is unfamiliar with current logan girls basketball would make a post like you did. trust me, with the experience on the floor over the next four/five years it should be good times for girls basketball. As a varsity coach i think you have to have knowledge of all grades 7-12 in your program which I think coach walsh does. if a varsity coach waited until tryouts to think about the current season then the team is already behind. with 1/3 of the girls playing almost year round basketball, summer shootouts, open gyms etc. I think there is a pretty good feeling on who should do what. these girls were taught to do most of things you are talking about back in grades 4-6.

sitting in the stands
Riding the Bench

Post by sitting in the stands »

Does anyone know or remember who the players all were the year that Jessica Harris, Collette Bolen, Kayla Thompson and Carissa Bosch were freshmen? :?:

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

allison angle, kristen cassidy i think. im getting old, cant remember anymore. help :lol:

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Let's see that would have been the 2004-05 season..... I think the Angle girl was on the team...they lost to Westerville North in the Sectional; I am guessing Cassady was on the team as a sophomore, anyone else??

sitting in the stands
Riding the Bench

Maybe more to the point, who were the freshmen that played that year?

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

Who is on varsiity this year besides Harris, Bolen, and Bosch?

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

md2020, ----a phrase from way back in college. Jerk was being used as a verb, not a noun.

101, you may very well be correct about not knowing much about it; however, using your words I called as I read it on here. I am not much on AAU sports as I believe more basketball is learned on the courts outside in pickup games, especially when one gets into pickup games that involve college ballplayers and one is in high school. Still, I am a firm believer we may do more harm than good when someone gets moved up as a pre-selection idea. I believe it sends a negative message out concerning the sport and may well discourage others from participating. I believe that a chemistry between the kids on the floor may very well be more important than skills. Many of us have seen teams loaded with talent, but no chemistry, and not do well; while on the other hand seen teams with no stars but a great teamwork chemistry who win big games and close games. Now, when those kind of teams get into a game with a team with a couple of stars who work well together they are in for a long night.

Just some thoughts.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Harris, Bolen, and Bosch?

I would bet they were the only three that year.

I am not much on AAU sports as I believe more basketball is learned on the courts outside in pickup games, especially when one gets into pickup games that involve college ballplayers and one is in high school

Its to bad Logan doesnt have a full court outside/playgorund type of place to play. I hope they think about putting one in at the new high school. I have been to several schools here in central Ohio for football games and all the schools I have been to have outside courts. (s) = Plural; I agree that it is a huge place to learn your game, get tougher and develop.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Nagol..... Nobody yet..... contrary to those who might think there is some sort of pre-selection! What I see is a coaching staff still looking at and carefully considering all players. The kids that really want to play are still playing!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

please, not the aau thing again. i have heard and read posts by so many people that say that they hate aau, yet at last report i believe that the aau numbers are way up for girls. its the only outlet to play basketball during the spring/summer. right now logan has 3 players in their program who were 10u state champs(17th in the nation), 11u state runners up and 12u state runners up, one was a starting point guard who is tremendous and the other was the sixth man who filled in where needed. what does this mean, probably not much to anybody except players and families. The experience from just those three years was so valuable. it sure didn't hurt them or degrade their game. maybe somebody can help me out but I think there were 12-15 logan girls playing aau basketball last year. i have heard all the negative things{money, promotes individualism, etc) about aau ball. there were some programs that may have been like that, i for one didn't see it and I paid close attention.

And lets face it girls don't just get together and play pick up basketball like guys do. i'm not even sure guys do anymore. I remember many a night playing basketball on central playground growing up. sometimes you had to wait an hour just to play one game but the powers that be thought it would be a great idea to make it a half court playground for the last (not sure on this number) 10+ years.

lg: maybe we can get a half court game going at central friday night after the playoff game. i'll be skins. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

101: At one time there was a full basketball court at the swimming pool. There you could play in your swimming trunks. My how time flies.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

What's all this have to do with Lady Chiefs Basketball? I don't think they are playing outside this year. Nor are they scrimmaging an AAU All Star team this fall. So who is going to step up and join the three seniors?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

freshmen team down to 7 games on their schedule. going to be a short year

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

NOT SURE if the following info fits into the HIGHLY informative (he says sarcastically) opinions thrown around on this thread by those who know all ...

Can't tell you "where" all of the names fall as far as JV or Varsity for the 2007-08 campaign but this is what I have written on several "napkins" so far :

3 seniors.... Jess Harris, Collette Bolen, Carissa Bosch

Juniors... Emilie Hughes (when she returns), Jenna Reynolds, Katy Klinger, Katie Hoffman, Meghan Hoffman

... I'm sure all the above are Varsity ... those that follow? Topf and Loryn Cassady up to varsity? Becham (sp) foreign exchange student varsity?

Sophomores... Rachael Vermillion, Chesea Evans, Allyssa Bailey, Mary Smart, Kristy Klingenburg

Freshmen... Bailey Topf, Loryn Cassady just pulled up this week Stephanie Murphy and Abigail Graf off the Freshmen squad to join JV's ...

Becham (?), a spanish exchange student and Jordyn a sophomore.... Becham and Jordyn ... makes 20 between the 2 teams ...

... the Lady Chiefs have a couple of home scrimmages coming up so we can get a feel for who is playing where, rotations, chemistry, where the work needs to be put in, who's going to play - who will sit ... Nov. 6th ... V/JV Groveport (4:00 PM) should show the splits in squads ... Nov. 10th Varsity Nelsonville (10:00 AM) we'll see who has been moved up to the senior group ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... turned over another "napkin" only to find more info that has yet to be mentioned by the self professed "knowledgeable" ones ... just noticed on the girls vs boys varsity schedules that the Lady Chiefs will have a 5th of their games played (5 games) before the boys open their season on the 30th of November ( the girls play their 5th game the same day as the boys open at St. Chucks) ...

sitting in the stands
Riding the Bench

Wow! Looks like the coaches at Logan have full squads to work with. It will be interesting to see where the players "fall" into place so to speak. This season will definitely be one to watch and take notes. Good Luck to the Lady Chiefs.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

My "paper towel" information looks about like pfloyds, except you misspelled Klinger's first name it should be Kati. Also Jordyn is a sophomore as well.

The girls will be ready to play on the 16th, they will be ready to avenge last years loss to Fairfield Union.

Good luck to both teams.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

It sounds like Logan will be very deep this year and should have a nice bench to run teams in the ground. Harris will be the main focus obviously. I thknk this is the year she plays as a complete player. Not forcing things and playing as the true team leader. She has been with Bolen and Bosch for 4 years now and they know what it takes to win and how to lead this team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... scrimmage today ... anything from Maysville on how the ladies did? ... another freshman was moved up for the scrimmage today , how are the youngest Purple Ladies doing in the scrimmages thus far? seeing the floor ? or filling out squads? ... inquiring minds want to know ... this week we'll see for ourselves as the Purple Ladies do the scrimmage "thang" Tuesday the 6th and Saturday the 10th both at home ... get the napkins ready !!!! ...

osu*me
Riding the Bench

Post by osu*me »

i'd just like to say, i played AAU for the first time the end of my 8th grade year, and nothing could have prepared me better for varsity basketball. I made varsity as a freshman and playing AAU really prepared me for the metal and physical level that i needed to be at to play varsity. Yea it's a lot of bangin' around, but if you get on a good team with a good coach, you learn a lot about the game of basketball. It helped me out tremendously.

On another note...looks like this year's team has a TON of pontential. Jessica harris WILL tear it up, as she has every year (honor playing with her) and also carissa bosch, she will be the team leader this year, no doubt.

Return to “Girls Basketball”