Athens Vs. Fairfield Union

Gib25
Varsity

Athens Vs. Fairfield Union

Post by Gib25 »

Game time is now 6:00 pm. This change has been approved the the OHSAA, but will not show up as a change on their website. 18-2 vs, 15-5. Should be a great game. Nelsonville TV Cable will cover the game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Vs. Fairfield Union

Post by 93Bulldog »

thx for the heads up!

I would have been a little upset had I arrived mid-way through the 1st quarter.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

tt

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Bull-Dogs

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Good job falcons!

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Great comeback by the Falcons. They didn't shoot particulary well but battled the whole game. Tough call at the end while technically correct I would not have called it in that situation. Congratulations to Athens on a geat season.

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

score???

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

47 42

hardwoodheroes
Freshman Team

Post by hardwoodheroes »

Hardwood Heroes Recap:

http://woub.org/2012/02/16/girls-basket ... off-opener

The Lady Bulldogs dropped their playoff opener in controversial fashion Thursday night.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I took a few pics from Thursday's game ... You can find them on the TVC facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tvcohio

BTW ... I'm not sure the intentional foul play would have made a difference had it not been called ... But it sure took away any chance for a dramatic finish ... I almost went up to him after the game and asked if he would refund my $5.00.

I do feel bad for the senior girls at Athens though - saw most of them at the boys game and they appeared to be taking the loss to heart ...

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Intentional foul was huge! One possession game with a minute and a half to go, 3 total team fouls, and boom it's a two possession game and ball. That foul was 40' feet from the basket. What a great game until that point. After that all down hill.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Late game intentional foul. Very questionable..Made it a tough go from there on for Athens.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Was disappointed in the earlier start. If you miss the start, you miss the way the game unfolds. Intentional foul was absolutely the right call. You cannot just go push someone in the back. Teams need to learn the concept of ratcheting up the aggression depending on the score and number of team fouls. When you are down 3 with a minute and a half left and only have 3 team fouls, you are in as good situation a situation as you can be given you are down 3. You should not go just whacking them on the arm to use a foul so you can get closer to putting them at the line for the one and one! That is where you go the the maximum level of pressure and aggression and go for steals at all opportunities. And when a shot misses, you either get the rebound or foul trying.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

I think the intentional foul called at the end of the game was a rough foul and could have been called that way . You do not see many fouls called in the last seconds of the game because the officals do not want to make that a game winning/losing decision. IMO

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Watch the game on channel 15, that call was horrid! The Athens girl placed two hands on the players waist in the backcourt, while the FU player was cradling the ball. An Athens girl fouled her 10x harder trying to foul and no foul was called, then a player places their hands on her and it's intentional. The Messenger writer even questioned that call saying there "very little contact". Really took the excitement out of the ending in a very back and forth game.

falcons26
Waterboy

Post by falcons26 »

An intentional foul is when a player makes physical contact with another player with no reasonable effort to steal the ball. It is a judgment call for the officials. Obviously the official deemed it an intentional. From where I sat it looked like she grabbed the back of the FU girl's jersey making no effort to go for the ball. Considering the official I was very surprised he called it at all let alone against Athens. IMO

Return to “Girls Basketball”