looking at the D-4 tourney ..

Falconburger
JV Team

Re: looking at the D-4 tourney ..

Post by Falconburger »

I am from the SOC area, the two strongest teams in our area that are d4 are shipped to Meigs. Webster plays up n the SOC II against all D3 schools. So they play burg, valley and oak hill twice each. Hard on their record, just looking at the overall records the Winner of the Meigs sectional has a tougher road, that translates to being more ready for that district games. And u can't rest on the past accomplishments for tourney runs, and just like Trimble beating Belpre anything can happen n the tourny

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

ARCH NEMESIS wrote:It's just going to make it all the sweeter when it happens...
bettis wrote:There is always a sleeping dog waiting to jot off the top teams of Waterford and Eastern....they both can be beat!
I am sorry to report that Reedsville Eastern (which is in Meigs County) and Waterford will be playing for the District Championship. The Hocking Divisions Mid Level teams have beaten your best and these 2 teams have had 1 game with the Hocking Division teams be inside 25 points. Just the way it is. They are very talented with several future college level girls on both teams. Brown, Drayer and Burdette to name a few. It will happen and be sweet one day. But, not this year. I do not have any ties to either of these teams either except seeing them play alot and knowing the coaches and a few of the girls and their families. Last year the Hocking Divisions 3rd place team Belpre (which wasn't very good, outside 1 or 2 girls that were ok) lost to Waterford & Eastern 2 times each by about an average margin of 35 points. Belpre had your best down 9 at the half. Lost, but then Eastern beat Clay by like 40. (guessing there). Yes that was last year. These 2 teams are as good or better than last year. Eastern did lose 2 good seniors in Connery and Maxson but a few more stepped in. Same will happen. I am not being smug either. It just seems that there is such a gap in talent levels in girls basketball. You don't see to many boys teams win by 40 +. Atleast I don't. Why is that? More than likely neither of these teams will go to state this year either. But they will headline the District Championship game.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

Falconburger wrote:I am from the SOC area, the two strongest teams in our area that are d4 are shipped to Meigs. Webster plays up n the SOC II against all D3 schools. So they play burg, valley and oak hill twice each. Hard on their record, just looking at the overall records the Winner of the Meigs sectional has a tougher road, that translates to being more ready for that district games. And u can't rest on the past accomplishments for tourney runs, and just like Trimble beating Belpre anything can happen n the tourny

Not even close to the same. The talent gap between Trimble and Belpre is not that far. Outside of 1 or 2 girls neither of these teams are very good. It is the roll players that end up making the difference. Eastern and Waterford both have these. That is the difference between a good team and a great team. For some reason girls have a hard time with knowing their rolls and then excepting it. IMO they seem very vendictive and jealous. Eastern and Waterfords girls all know their rolls. Drayer and Brown do most of the scoring and the rest play their rolls and get their 8 or 10 points and win easy. Maybe it's coaching. I don't know. But comparing Trimble beating Belpre to one of the teams in the District beating Waterford or Eastern is absurd. Not even close. Like Meigs beating Wellston. Neither of these teams IMO are really that good either. Just my opinions.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

How many times do teams come in and get upset, cause kids don't take the other team serious or the other team steps up and has a great night. Not saying talent for talent, don't know that league, just saying in the tourney it takes only one good night, or one key injury (god forbid) to make an upset. Ask Oak hill, last year a key injury in the tourney hurt them even though another player stepped up. So don't take it as talent for talent, just any given night

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

falcon--what two top teams are you talking about going to the athens location ? Until the SOC has a team step up and schedule more tough games out of conference we are never going to step up and challenge a Eastern or Waterford .. more girls playing AAU would help but down here softball is king..... our girls spend there summers playing in front of college coachs at showcases in various cities. So everytime we get drilled in hoops I'm thinking "wait til May" lol .

Honestly it gets on my last nerve that our school , and others in our conference can't compete with the TVC biggies. We make excuses instead of getting it done. I said it last year. You have to schedule up , way more often to overcome the bad habits that get ingrained from playing in such a weak conference. last night our JV won 32-0 (YES ZERO !) in a 2 qrt JV contest , The varsity went on to win by 40. Those type wins on a constant basis dont get you ready to compete come tourney time. all is does is promote bad habits. You get away with so many UN-fundamental things . Hopefully , somehow the SOC gets better , frankly I dont see it coming. Too many schools are not even fielding JV teams. The league will continue to weaken without supporting the younger players got to go MD

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

ManitouDan wrote:falcon--what two top teams are you talking about going to the athens location ? Until the SOC has a team step up and schedule more tough games out of conference we are never going to step up and challenge a Eastern or Waterford .. more girls playing AAU would help but down here softball is king..... our girls spend there summers playing in front of college coachs at showcases in various cities. So everytime we get drilled in hoops I'm thinking "wait til May" lol .

Honestly it gets on my last nerve that our school , and others in our conference can't compete with the TVC biggies. We make excuses instead of getting it done. I said it last year. You have to schedule up , way more often to overcome the bad habits that get ingrained from playing in such a weak conference. last night our JV won 32-0 (YES ZERO !) in a 2 qrt JV contest , The varsity went on to win by 40. Those type wins on a constant basis dont get you ready to compete come tourney time. all is does is promote bad habits. You get away with so many UN-fundamental things . Hopefully , somehow the SOC gets better , frankly I dont see it coming. Too many schools are not even fielding JV teams. The league will continue to weaken without supporting the younger players got to go MD
MD - Well said, you are 100% correct in this post!

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

Well Webster has two girls on varsity that play AAU, burg has 3 girls, Oak Hill has 4-5 girls. Websters 8th grade has 5 girls playin AAU, 7th grade has 3-4 girls. Our peewee ball has 5 girls that play, and burg has several. In the upcoming years you will see those teams that have a strong ball program and numerous kids traveling will become more competitive. A lot of parents in our area are starting to realize that to be competitive and get a chance to be successful a player has to play travel ball. Jut watch the upcoming seasons. As far as scheduling I agree, but realize we are in a area here our schools don't have the money to travel to those more competitive schools. I truly believe that in the net few seasons teams like Webster and burg will make those runs. Just watch

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

it doesnt take money for the SOC1 schools to schedule up (because you dont have to travel ) , it just takes the willingness to do it. they could schedule SOC 2 schools . that doesnt even involve travel. MD

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

ohiostbucks99 wrote:1. Waterford
2. Meigs
3. South Gallia
4. Belpre
5. South Webster
6. Eastern
7. Symmes Valley
8. Fed Hock
9. Miller
10. Southern
11. Trimble
Belpre might be in the 3 spot, they beat SG the first meeting, if they beat them at SG, then they should be the 3. Another thing wrong with this is Eastern is the second best team in the district. They will get the 2 seed.

1. Waterford
2. Eastern
3. Belpre
4. SG
5. Eastern Pike
6. SW
7. SV
8. Miller
9. Fed Hock
10. Southern
11. Trimble

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

South Gallia (10-3)
Belpre (9-5)

* That loss to Trimble kind of stung a little for Belpre - but if they in fact sweep SG, they should be the higher seed ... If they don't and split the series: South Gallia will be the No. 3 with a better overall record.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

ManitouDan wrote:it doesnt take money for the SOC1 schools to schedule up (because you dont have to travel ) , it just takes the willingness to do it. they could schedule SOC 2 schools . that doesnt even involve travel. MD
Ok, I understand what you mean and that is true. But a lot of programs look at the overall regular season record as the measure for success. When in basketball you work towards the tourney, a decent seeding and you do well. winning the conference doesn't mean much if u only win one tourney game or lose the first one.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Falconburger, I disagree with your last point--I'd much rather win the league instead of pointing solely at the tourney. Naturally I'd rather do both but realistically only 1 team in each division ends their season with dry eyes. You might say well you should at least win the sectional but, then if I follow your logic people would say you are aiming to low. I've seen Fed-Hock, Trimble, and Waterford girls make the regionals and see their wonderful seasons end there.

Besides, when do your athletes ever see the kids they compete against in the district or even the sectional--I'll guarantee you there are kids in the SOC that have no clue where most Hocking Divisions teams are located and that's true looking at it from the other side.
The Hocking has gotten to big (area wise) in my opinion but the Waterford girls see Eastern girls in Parkersburg and Marietta and Miller see's Trimble and so on. I think a league title out weighs a sectional championship because of that, but that's just my opinion and to each his own.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

Fortdawg wrote:Falconburger, I disagree with your last point--I'd much rather win the league instead of pointing solely at the tourney. Naturally I'd rather do both but realistically only 1 team in each division ends their season with dry eyes. You might say well you should at least win the sectional but, then if I follow your logic people would say you are aiming to low. I've seen Fed-Hock, Trimble, and Waterford girls make the regionals and see their wonderful seasons end there.

Besides, when do your athletes ever see the kids they compete against in the district or even the sectional--I'll guarantee you there are kids in the SOC that have no clue where most Hocking Divisions teams are located and that's true looking at it from the other side.
The Hocking has gotten to big (area wise) in my opinion but the Waterford girls see Eastern girls in Parkersburg and Marietta and Miller see's Trimble and so on. I think a league title out weighs a sectional championship because of that, but that's just my opinion and to each his own.

I would say that the Sectional title would weigh in ALOT heavier. With it you know you get to play another game and then maybe another and so on. The season is over when you lose in the tourney. I'll take the Sectional Title.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure I would take a 'sectional title' over a league title ... sectional titles are easy to come by ... District title - now that's a different story.

My list of 'achievable' goals would be: 1) Regional title. 2) District title. 3) League championship. 4) Sectional title.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

IMO a lot of weight should be assigned to how strong the league is... I'm thrilled to death to have a kid be part of team that hangs a banner in our gym to mark their accomplishment, but that doesnt change any facts that the league is way down this season and quite frankly if you know your league is weak why not aim higher ? Cant you do both ? win your league , but have a higher goal of being competitive at the district semi or final instead of getting creamed ? it's not one or the other. MD

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sure you can do both & that's what you aim for.

But look at this scenerio: Waterford sweeps Eastern in the regular season & wins the TVC-Hocking ... Eastern however defeates Waterford in the district finals.

Which would you rather be? Waterford (TVC-Hocking champ) ... or Eastern (district champion)?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

thats a fine question... I dont have an answer .... I'm leaning towards district champ , but in general conference comes first. What you dont want is to lose BOTH. MD

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

93Bulldog wrote:Sure you can do both & that's what you aim for.

But look at this scenerio: Waterford sweeps Eastern in the regular season & wins the TVC-Hocking ... Eastern however defeates Waterford in the district finals.

Which would you rather be? Waterford (TVC-Hocking champ) ... or Eastern (district champion)?

That's an easy one. Just like I said, who was still playing? You take the tournament wins.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

U always try to win the conference, but people remember tournament runs. Or like South Webster, D4 team playing in a conference that is all D3(SOC II). With Oak Hill in there u try to win your games, but you prepare your team for that tournament run. Last year Minford had a good season, but those kids and fans remember that tourney run..they beat Oak Hill they go to the state. As a coch you want the wins, but the tourney titles mean it all in the end

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

As Lee Corso says.... Not so fast my friend!!!!
South Gallia 52
Eastern (Meigs) 51

Return to “Girls Basketball”