South Webster vs. New Boston D 4 District Championship

kahn
Freshman Team

Re: South Webster vs. New Boston D 4 District Championship

Post by kahn »

South Webster 64-38 over New Boston.

Cook scored 1,000 with 20 seconds left according to the radio. She had a game high 24. Cayton scored 22.

New Boston was led by Wiley with 10 points.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Congrats to the Lady Jeeps on making it back to the sweet sixteen!

One SOC 2 team in, 2 to go!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

South Webster Jeeps 64
New Boston Glenwood Tigers 38

Congratulations Lady Jeeps! Good Luck in regionals!

Congratulations Kayla Cook on your 1,000 point tonight with just a few seconds left in the game!

Let's hope everyone makes it home ok.

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

Great game by the Lady Jeeps. The shots were'nt falling early, but they pulled it together and went on to build a comfortable lead and controlled the game from thereon. New Boston didn't haven't an answer for Cook or Cayton, and the Lady Jeeps' defense completely wore the Lady Tigers down. I saw several times during the game when the Tigers were bending over and seemingly wheezing trying to catch their breath. Congrats to Kayla Cook on reaching the 1,000 point mark in just her sophomore year. She is actually at 1,001 right now, as she got the "and 1". However, I thought it was very un-classy out of the New Boston cheer block to "boo" her during her recognition...Totally uncalled for IMO. But most importantly, congrats to Lady Jeeps on back to back District Championships, and let's keep it rolling through regionals. Look's like we'll more than likely have Africentric up next. Work hard and be prepared, because anything can happen. Leave it all out on the floor!

GO LADY JEEPS!

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

waydowntown wrote:Congrats to Kayla Cook on reaching the 1,000 point mark in just her sophomore year. She is actually at 1,001 right now, as she got the "and 1". However, I thought it was very un-classy out of the New Boston cheer block to "boo" her during her recognition...Totally uncalled for IMO.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But.....I bet NB fans were little PO'ed because the star player was still in the game with 20 seconds left ....up to 20+. (so she could get her 1000) ;-)

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

New Boston did the same thing to South Gallia when they played Saturday. They left Wiley in with just a little to go in the 4th quarter and she had gotten her 1000th in the first half.

Way to go Lady Jeeps!! You played your butts off tonight. Work hard over the next few days and pull off a BIG upset on Thursday. We all have faith in you.

I couldn't believe the amount of our fans who braved the weather to come out and support the girls. Hope everyone made it home safe. See you all next week.

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

icanpickem wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight. But.....I bet NB fans were little PO'ed because the star player was still in the game with 20 seconds left ....up to 20+. (so she could get her 1000) ;-)

South Webster's starters played basically the entire game all the way to the final buzzer. The did so because they wanted to maintain the comfortable lead that they built. The Lady Jeeps weren't going to just keep playing to be playing because they thought it was over, cause they all knew the Lady Tigers were a very dangerous team. Coach Johnson stated on the radio that it was one of the team's goals in this game to get Kayla her 1,000th point, and they achieved that goal.

No one on this team is considered a "star" player. The Lady Jeeps play as a team, and work hard as a team. Granted, some players may be more talented than others, but each player knows their role and plays their heart out in each minute they see on the floor. It wasn't the NB fans who boo'd Kayla, it was just a few guys in the cheer block that just did it to try and be funny, evident of the laughing they were doing while booing...I'm sure Webster fans wouldn't have boo'd Wiley if she reached her 1,000th in this game. In fact, they gave her a standing ovation after she fouled out tonight.

Mainly, I'm just trying to say that Cook should be honored on her achievement, not put down.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

Congratulations to South Webster and Coach Johnson! Good luck the rest of the way.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Great job last night LADY JEEPS!!!! 3 net DOWN an 2 to GO!!!! :mrgreen:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Congrats to South Webster! I was off on my prediction as I knew SW would win by around 15.....but really thought it would be a much better game. Cook and Cayton really stepped it up on offense and defense. They both seemed to play with a little chip on their shoulders really wanting to prove something....and they did.

It's too bad South Webster and Waterford can't play in the next round as SW must now face Africentric University.

A huge congrats again to SW and Cook and best of luck....if you can handle Africentric..you can win it all.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I don't have a problem with them leaving Kayla in. Yes, there was the possibility that she could have gotten hurt. They also knew that going in to a game with Africentric they wanted that monkey off her back before they got to Pickerington. Some times you have to look at the bigger picture. I know a lot of people don't agree with me and that's ok. The team is now working on pulling out a HUGE upset on Thursday.

Everybody come out and support the girls. Let's bring a crowd of red to Columbus.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I understand others' arguments against leaving Cook in just to get her 1000th point late in a blowout. But digger makes a great point though in that it just would have been a distraction heading into Webster's biggest game of the year.

But here's the main reason I have no problem leaving Webster's starters in the majority of the game even if a blowout: when is the last tough game Webster's had where they've had to play their starters 4 quarters? Probably 3 weeks ago against Wheelersburg. So taking their starters out early every tourney game and then asking them to play 4 quarters against the best D4 team in the state next week would not be a good idea in my opinion. And yes, I'll have no problem if Africentric would do the same against Webster should it happen. It wouldn't be good sportsmanship in a regular season game, but come tourney time it's justified.*

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

I have one QUESTION to asked! I would like to know why a coach that is getting beat by just about 30 an knowing that a player on the other team needed JUST " 2 " point to break a 1000, would double down an try to deny her the ball when the game was out of reach with just about 2mins togo? I know that IF I would have been the Coach for the opposing team, i wouldve just let her had a layup to score her 1000, in hopes that the other coach wouldve pulled the starters an let the others played the last 2mins or so! Just a ?, an My oppinion!!! But its all said an done now its on to the REGIONALS!!!!! Good luck to all the LADY JEEPS!! An to New Boston LADY TIGERS congrad's on a GREAT season an another SOCI CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
Last edited by SENDEM on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbwfan
Waterboy

Post by rbwfan »

I usually just read, but SENDEM I was just about to post a similar comment...I agree with digger and art, this is a tournament run and all rules for sportsmanship go by the wayside, not that we played an unsportsman-ship type of game. It's not like it was a secret that Kayla was close to her 1000 pt., there was no doubt it was inevitable. Some of the posts make it sound like we "waited" for the final seconds for Kayla to get her points, that just happened to be the time left. The attempts were there but just wouldn't fall. But because she didn't let frustration get the best of her and the team kept the defense on she was able to reach that goal.
Congrats to her and the rest of the team and we'll be behind you all the way!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Congrats on the win by the Jeeps and congrats to Cook for getting her 1,000th point. Hard to believe that this girl is only a sophmore?? Unreal. But enjoy the good times while they last. Some "stiff competition" lurks in the upcoming rounds. Should be some good games coming up in the next rounds. I'd say that it is a safe bet that from here on out the games will be tighter. No more 35 point blowouts. The games just get harder now....

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

rbwfan: I hope that u wasnt thinking that I was saying that Coach Johnson done the wrong thing by not pulling the starters; cause that would be far from the truth. She done just excatly what she shouldve done by taken the pressure off Kayla an the other Girls, Cause everyone of them was pulling for her to get her 1000. Now they can get ready ( just like digger said ) for the BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR so far.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

100 Years from now no-one will care who scored what and who beat who. So lets get over it.

Great Job Ladies! Now just 2 more games then I can head North to watch the Lady Jeeps play in the Schott!
I have the 2 days scheduled for vacation ladies so give me a reason to use them!!!

Jeeps over Africentric by 3. You heard it here first! And it won't be that big of an upset either!
Go get 'em lady Jeeps!!

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

Good to hear from you Jeep80. Hope you have to use those vacation days!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That was as impressive of all-around performance I've seen by a SE D4 team in quite some time.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

The opposing team did the same thing in their game against South Gallia.

All year in games that South Webster was ahead 20 or more the starters were pulled at the end of the 3rd quarter or at least the beginning of the 4th. This game things were a little different and the decision was made. It's over and done with. Let's move on and support the girls as they get ready for next week.

Go Lady Jeeps!

Return to “Girls Basketball”