#1 Portsmouth Clay vs #2 Reedsville Eastern 3/3

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: #1 Portsmouth Clay vs #2 Reedsville Eastern 3/3

Post by Steely Dan »

Wow. #1 seed takes a 38 point throttling by the #2 seed. Just goes to show you how much politics and lobbying goes into who gets the top seed.

And no, I am not that naive. I've seen it before, but this year it is quite pronounced with the outcome of this game. Ouch..........

Congrats to the Lady Eagles. Maybe another shot at the H20Ford.......

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Steely Dan: Really? Clay and Reedsville Eastern were in different seeding meetings. Reedsville Eastern was a #2 seed because of Waterford getting the #1 seed. The #1 seed from the west district plays the #2 seed from the East District if everything plays out according to form. Politics and lobbying had nothing to do with it. clay was in the west and Eastern was in the east
Last edited by svbt1112 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Let's keep it calm here

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Steely Dan wrote:Wow. #1 seed takes a 38 point throttling by the #2 seed. Just goes to show you how much politics and lobbying goes into who gets the top seed.

And no, I am not that naive. I've seen it before, but this year it is quite pronounced with the outcome of this game. Ouch..........

Congrats to the Lady Eagles. Maybe another shot at the H20Ford.......
Clueless!! Two different sectionals!!

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Either way, you rarely,if ever see a #2 beat a #1 that bad...Normally it would be a good game that either could win.Unless one is head and shoulders better than the other.This must have been the case here.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

So if one team is a lot better than another team, they will win. WOW, why didn't I ever think of that. Bottom line is Clay was the #1 in their bracket. Unless you bring other teams over to their bracket there was no one to rank over them. Next year might be the other way. This isn't rocket surgery.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

All I was saying was-you rarely see that much disparity between a 1 and a 2 when they match up,no matter what bracket it might be...As redundant as it might sound nine times out of ten the better more talented team wins...But going on the seedings Clay beating Eastern wouldn't have been a upset.They just simply were an inferior higher seeded team tonight.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Slim Jim wrote:All I was saying was-you rarely see that much disparity between a 1 and a 2 when they match up,no matter what bracket it might be...As redundant as it might sound nine times out of ten the better more talented team wins...But going on the seedings Clay beating Eastern wouldn't have been a upset.They just simply were an inferior higher seeded team tonight.
Thank you. That was all that I was trying to state as well, with the exception of my comment about the politics, which you and I both know are a problem, as long the both of us have been around HS sports, Slim Jim.

Wow. Good thing I've pretty much stayed off of here during basketball season. I make one off the cuff comment, and the friggin' wheels fly off the Portsmouth Clay bus. Holy cow...........

Can't wait until Fanosports posts something about this game, the Clay folks will go completely ballistic........

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Clay really wasn't even the dominate team in their conference.They shared that honor with Eastern Pike and ND.All three were good teams this year.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

I do agree with you on your point about politics Steely Dan.
Last edited by Slim Jim on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Steely Dan wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:All I was saying was-you rarely see that much disparity between a 1 and a 2 when they match up,no matter what bracket it might be...As redundant as it might sound nine times out of ten the better more talented team wins...But going on the seedings Clay beating Eastern wouldn't have been a upset.They just simply were an inferior higher seeded team tonight.
Thank you. That was all that I was trying to state as well, with the exception of my comment about the politics, which you and I both know are a problem, as long the both of us have been around HS sports, Slim Jim.

Wow. Good thing I've pretty much stayed off of here during basketball season. I make one off the cuff comment, and the friggin' wheels fly off the Portsmouth Clay bus. Holy cow...........

Can't wait until Fanosports posts something about this game, the Clay folks will go completely ballistic........
Now, now Steely, just because I bust on N-Y a lot because of their TVC football arrogance doesn't mean I do so for other SEO teams in any sport. My prediction on pg. 1 of this thread stated that Eastern would win "by quite a few" and they did. Case closed, on to the next game. :-D

thunderdome
Waterboy

Post by thunderdome »

Unfortunately, Clay girls just laid an egg last night. They tried hard but the shots just didn't fall ... in fact, an unbelievable number didn't even touch the rim. Some of those misses were caused by good defense but others just by the kids not being able to adjust to that big court environment. I thought Clay did a pretty good job of handling Eastern's pressure defense early in the game. It hurt when number 3 only played a couple of minutes in the first half because of foul trouble (third foul was really bogus ... many thanks to referee SJ for that call!).

As for the seeding, Clay was clearly the best team in their sectional and a pretty good small school team overall. They beat Notre Dame easily this year (twice) and split with Eastern Pike. Eastern and Clay were clearly the dominant teams in their conference (sorry Steely). But as I mentioned in another thread, it just so happens that two of the best division IV teams (Eastern Reedsville and Waterford) in the state happened to be in the same sectional. The rest of that eastern sectional was nothing to brag about.

Eastern is awfully good (and young too, only one senior). Along with Waterford, they are heads and tails above the other DIV teams in the southeastern district. I wish them both luck and I hope the winner of their game beats the poop out of Harvest Prep.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

^^^^^^^^^^
Good post thunderdome, a realistic approach and factual, the way I like to see them :-D

cobweb
JV Team

Post by cobweb »

thunderdome wrote:Eastern is awfully good (and young too, only one senior....
Eastern has two seniors, Ms. Connery, announced as a senior last night at the Convo. and Ms. Maxon, not announced as a senior.

Go Eagles in Pickerington next Thursday!!!

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

Clay handled the pressure much better than Manchester did. But, yes, they struggled to hit the rim. Especially on free throws. Defense for Clay was horrible. Eastern had all day to shoot their outside shots and they made them fall.

Good luck to Eastern in the regionals!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

thunderdome,
Uncalled for, calling an official out for A Call!!! A call that had nothing to do with the outcome of a game that was onesided. This game was totally dominated by Eastern from the beginning to end, period. The officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of this game-the players determined the outcome.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

rockyraccoon wrote:So if one team is a lot better than another team, they will win. WOW, why didn't I ever think of that. Bottom line is Clay was the #1 in their bracket. Unless you bring other teams over to their bracket there was no one to rank over them. Next year might be the other way. This isn't rocket surgery.
What exactly is rocket surgery?

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:thunderdome,
Uncalled for, calling an official out for A Call!!! A call that had nothing to do with the outcome of a game that was onesided. This game was totally dominated by Eastern from the beginning to end, period. The officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of this game-the players determined the outcome.

I agree. If this was a closer game and she had more of an impact in the game...then maybe some concerns about the call could be brought up. But she did this to her team several times this season by getting into foul trouble early in the games! If you have 2 fouls in the 1st qtr...you should know to be careful in the 2nd qtr...BUT she got her 3rd foul in the first 30 seconds in the 2nd qtr.

thunderdome
Waterboy

Post by thunderdome »

CB #1,

I wrote that comment about the ref early in morning when post-game emotions were still pretty high. It was far too personalized and I apologize to you and anyone else who was offended. I still think it was a bad call. Hate to see a senior have to sit so long in her last game. It cost Clay the use of a starter and probably their best defender for an extended time ... but, you're right, it had no bearing on the final outcome, other than possibly the margin of victory. I've seen that official call many games and he does an outstanding job. In fact, officiating has been very good throughout the tournament.

I don't think we should be afraid to respectfully "call out" a referee or a coach when we disagree with their decisions. They are adults who are paid for their work. Most of them do a pretty good job. However (USokkr), I don't think we should criticize high school players unless they have committed some terribly heinous act. They are not adults, many of them are very sensitive, and many of them read these posts. The Clay senior girls gave it everything they had for four years and I think they deserve a great big "thanks" from the school and the community for their dedication and performance. They are great kids both on and off the court.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Hey they must be good officials they got the games didn't they. All the bad officials are setting at home. I'm sure the who ever picks them knows what they're doing.

Return to “Girls Basketball”