Lady Chiefs 2007-2008

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

101: "very very little". The first step to recovery in the biggest. Acknowledge the problelm. Stay positive and your prognosis is good.[/quote]

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

wow ... sure sounds like "black Tuesday" after all of the movement - down - for players last night ... 3 off of the varsity told they were going to JV ... freshmen off the JV sent back down to the freshmen team? told they were going to play both freshmen AND JV??? how's that work ? do the girls practice with both teams? does that work out with a few girls having to practice after school at the high school w/ freshmen, then jump in cars to get to the middle school to practice again with JV ?? ... anyone have a "menu" of who went where? ... where did everyone land ? I was surprised to hear of the moves from the Varsity squad - ALL of the girls I saw Saturday on both the first team/ and 2nd team looked to have the talent to be where they were ... seemed to work well together , good chemistry ...

... musical chairs is right ...

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

Sounds like you already know. Tell us what's the word at "Old Central" headquarters?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

my take is this. logan had 6 canal summer league games, 3 or 4 shootouts, AND 3 days at eastern ohio camp for the 2nd year where the girls stayed all night for 3 days. why is this so hard. edited for the future and common sense took over. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, had to rant. hugs and kisses everybody! :? :? :? :? :?
Last edited by qualified101 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 101 ... how did the freshmen do tonight in the scrimmage?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

honestly, not that great, but logan had three that moved down trying to gel with everybody else, but they haven't practiced with the freshmen team for a while. looked like "the 3" were trying not to be ball hogs while the rest of the team wanted them to take the shots. i dont know what the answer is but i do know some players are getting frustrated. i never thought id say it but im getting to the point where i could care less anymore.

when will the music end?

also heard the freshmen team was down to five games this year. im not sure about this. heard it secondhand.

good luck to the varsity, reserve, and freshman teams whoever you may be. :) :) :) :) :)

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

regarding all the movement back and forth, It makes since to me. Qualified, you say the first team is very strong but there is very little drop off to the second team. And then the jv looks very good also. If all the second team stays strictly with the varsity, exactly how much playing time will the get? very little. A coach can usually only play the top 7 or eight kids, and have much success, except for mop up time. So it sounds like he kept the top 7 or 8 at the varsity and moved the rest to jv, where they will actually get some pt. But that knocked the freshmen out of jv pt so they were moved back down to the level where they can get some quality pt. Personally, I would want my kid at the level where he or she could get the most out experience out of it. I don't even know exactly who got moved where, but I know there is a very solid top group, and the rest had to be worked out. Hopefully he will continue to move kids all season if necessary.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

there was nothing quality about "the 3" last night at the freshmen game other than pure frustration. you're sellin that quality pt theory and im not buyin based upon last night. it has to be frustrating for the freshmen coach not really knowing who she will or wont have. your top group theory has already shown some holes but i will wait until friday night to pass first judgement. lots of turnovers in scrimmages. friday will be the first real game and that is what counts.

again, good luck lady chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

"Ole Chief is a wise Chief."

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

ole chief: i dont recall ever saying anything about first team and very little drop off or anything like that on the varsity. that i know of. i only remember what i saw last year and that was post players taking 3's and nobody rebounding. i only know one or two of the girls on varsity so i have to rely on what i see on the court. i think the absence of kayla thompson will be felt. i did get blasted for predicting this club would be a .600 team this year earlier in this thread. i may amend that prediction if i get surprised. so far though, with the scrimmage that i did see, i will stick with my original thought.

again, good luck lady chiefs.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

qualified, sorry it was another poster that said there was very little drop off from first to second team. Whether anyone likes to admit it or not the freshmen level is first and foremost to develop players for the varsity and jv. Winning is very important also, but the freshmen coach doesn't have much say in who goes where. Back when Bosch was a freshmen, she was with the freshmen team until somewhere around christmas break. With Bosch that team was 5-0. after Bosch was moved up, the freshmen team was 2-5, for a 7-5 record for that year. Did it hurt that team to loose bosch? It certainly did, But it better prepared Bosch and the other jv kids to move into starting roles on varsity the next season. Relax a little, things have a way of working out for the best. These decisions may cause some kids to quit, but chances are the ones that really want to be there will be there. There is often too much jealousy involved when kids get moved up. The ones that didn't get the shot (and their parents) are usually thinking they are as good as so and so, why didn't he or she get the chance. What is the point in being moved up if you only get to ride the pine? The Varsity team will be very good this year, and the kids that are able to contribute at that level will be there. At least the coaches are free to decide who should be where instead of the school board telling them, like is happening at alot of other schools.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i agree that if you are going to move somebody up, they need to play. otherwise its a waste of time. i do think that some players would benefit from jv/varsity practices even if they see little playing time compared with a freshmen practice. i would argue though that one persons "jealousy" could be another persons "winning mentality". i also see and hear the jealousy from a few that you are talking about so i see both sides. where will you be sitting friday? i'll say hi.

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

I am not sure I'll make it to the game, I have family crap, I mean responsibilities that may get in the way. It is not a winning mentality if it gets in the way of personal or program development. So your saying practicing with the jv or varsity but not getting any pt would be better for some of the kids than being a starter on the freshmen team? That doesn't sound right to me. Ask any kid which he or she would prefer. I bet after sitting for a game or two they would choose to be at the level where they can contribute.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

qualified, don't give us they didn't gel stuff. Those girls have been playing together forever. Quit making excuses. The season is early yet.

pinky, you are so wise, listening to your little informant. If those people were smart they would realize that they should not think of themselves first. But obviously they haven't learned much.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

kyr:whos making excuses? if you saw the scrimmage, it was pretty obvious that things were not going well. my child had way too many turnovers and played poorly in my eyes, and I told her when we got home. nobody played a great game for logan. i am not one of those parents that says "good job" or "nice try" when my kid plays poorly. anybody who knows me, which should be pretty evident after these posts, is that i dont put up with giving less than 100%. i tried to take in consideration the fact that some of the girls on the freshmen team have never played before.

you contradicted yourself:"Those girls have been playing together forever. Quit making excuses. The season is early yet".

isnt "the season is early yet" an excuse?

it sure sounds like an excuse.

btw, why are you calling me out?????????????? it was just an observation.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

qualified, must have misread your tone. I apologize. What I meant was that if you are upset by the moving around or where your daughter was placed, give the season some time then see where they are placed at the end of the season. The "they have been playing together" comment was supposed to mean that they will be fine as a team.

However, let's not take pity on the Freshman Coach. Coach Burns should know that her team is NEVER set. If a player is kicking tail at the freshmen level then they will probably get moved up. If a varsity or junior varsity player gets hurt then the deck reshuffles. This happens at every level and I think some coaches are too into what is good for their personal benefit and not the benefit of the whole program. This moving situation happens everywhere. Coach Rice was fine with the moving of players and I am sure Coach Huntsberger is fine with it too. Those coaches are team players, and they see the whole picture not their own.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...KYR ... are you feeling threatened or what ? ... attack, attack, attack, calling people out for what ? ... no one needs an informant LOL ... just listen to what the players themselves are saying among themselves and to others ... all you have to do is listen to the parents and what they are saying ... pinky ???? LOL ...

sitting in the stands
Riding the Bench

Post by sitting in the stands »

You can bet that the freshmen coach is well aware of the moving of players, as are all freshmen coaches. That is what happens at that level. But just like all coaches it has to be hard to "plan" ahead when you don't know until game time "who" is or isn't playing on your team or for how long and according to the "air" no one knows yet who is playing where for tomorrow evenings match up against Fairfield Union. This is one fan that is at least hopeful that someone somewhere has made the decision(s).
Good luck to the Lady Chiefs in their opening game tomorrow night. Now maybe the meaningless chatter will cease and the topic of the "game" will become the norm rather than the attacks, call outs, hits on coaches and all the other hurtful things that have been posted since the summer. It does hurt programs to have people post things that they "hear" through the wind and then post to the preps world. Where do they think all that "stuff" will travel too? Opinions fine, but sometimes you have to realize that negative brings on negative.
Support for the program and the players all the way around would be a great way to watch a program not only survive, but thrive.
I for one will be in the stands to watch this opener, lending my support to a terrific group of athletes who also happen to be some pretty special young women.
Good Luck!

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

pinky don't think we are all so naive!

Enough of that junk already. Last year Fairfield Union's zone really hurt the Lady Chiefs. It came down to the last possession of the game. Do you think Fairfield Union will still run their zone against them? Any thoughts? I know we all have biddee ball coaching experience so we are all experts here! :lol:

Hopefully the Lady Chiefs will be able to work inside out and hopefully their depth will work to their advantage.

Does Fairfield Union still have the young girl that can hit a shot any where within the half court line. She was a freshman last year and was quite exciting to watch.

Good luck to both teams, may the every one be injury free!

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Also I take a vow, no more bashing on here! Except for you pinky! Just kidding you too pinky!

Return to “Girls Basketball”