(21-2) Circleville vs. (22-1) Unioto, Wednesday, 7PM

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

(21-2) Circleville vs. (22-1) Unioto, Wednesday, 7PM

Post by danicalifornia »

This game will be played at Southeastern HS and will be for the Division 2 District Championship!

Unioto is looking for it's 1st District title since 1995, they are 0-3 in District title games since. 1995 was also Coach Driggs last season before leaving and this is her 1st season in her return.
Circleville last won a district title in 2006.

Both teams have had great seasons and won their respective conferences. Circleville is led by Senior Casse Mogan(over 1,400 career points) and some very good juniors, while Unioto is a younger ballclub, led by Junior Shiann Ray and Freshman Mackenzie Arledge.

It'll be interesting to see how Arledge matches up inside with Circleville's White, should be an interesting matchup. Just like Hougland, Driggs, or Ray on Mogan.

Like Opponents:
Teays Valley: Unioto W 70-33; Circleville W 67-34, 54-30
Westfall: Unioto W 66-38, 63-32; Circleville W 70-41
Logan Elm: Unioto W 49-42; Circleville L 58-55, W 39-32
Washington CH: Unioto W 50-37, 44-30; Circleville W 61-25
Waverly: Unioto W 66-42; Circleville W 42-32
Chillicothe: Unioto W 37-32; Circleville W 42-40

Tournament Run:
Circleville
vs. Waverly, W 42-32
vs. Miami Trace, W 50-37
vs. Sheridan, W 60-35

Unioto
vs. Washington CH, W 44-30
vs. Chillicothe, W 37-32
vs. New Lexington, W 50-29

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Should be a good game. I'll take Circleville in this matchup. It'll also be a good atmosphere. I was at the D2 Central District girls tournament last night and 200 people were in the gym for a good doubleheader of Mifflin-DeSales and Big Walnut-Bexley. The weather wasn't real good when I left, but it was fine at the beginning. Kind of a freak storm.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman- How will this game's winner matchup with either of those two winners from last night? Any chance to move on?

I'll take Unioto(of course), just because, I think they will play well at least once this postseason. I like the Hougland/Mogan matchup, Hougland did an excellent job on Lydia Bridenbaugh(who is about Mogan's size and near in ability) and I think if she can contain Casse, Unioto will have a very good chance to win.

I see the big girls off setting each other, but if I were Circleville, I would try and pound it inside early, because Unioto's 4 player is about 5'7 and their backup center has only played 1 minute in the postseason.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote:bman- How will this game's winner matchup with either of those two winners from last night? Any chance to move on?

I'll take Unioto(of course), just because, I think they will play well at least once this postseason. I like the Hougland/Mogan matchup, Hougland did an excellent job on Lydia Bridenbaugh(who is about Mogan's size and near in ability) and I think if she can contain Casse, Unioto will have a very good chance to win.

I see the big girls off setting each other, but if I were Circleville, I would try and pound it inside early, because Unioto's 4 player is about 5'7 and their backup center has only played 1 minute in the postseason.
Should be a heck of a game.I just hope it's not decided by some lame ref call.Let the girls play! Were you at Waverly last night? I saw someone all decked out in Unioto gear and thought it may have been you.lol :lol:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Nope. Didn't make it down, sounded like a whale of a game though.

Don't think I've worn anything Unioto to any games this season, LOL. I might throw on the purple tomorrow night though.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Mifflin is extremely athletic and their press gave DeSales fits for three quarters. They kind of run down and shoot, but they have some physical girls inside to rebound. Rebounding and ball handlers are a key against them, along with at least decent shooting. They can run full-court press and an in your face man to man defense.

I didn't stay for all the Bexley-Big Walnut game because of the weather but Big Walnut has a couple of good scorers, and they do a good job defensively. I look for Mifflin to advance and be the opponent for either Circleville or Unioto.

A key for the Shermans is to stop Mogan. If she goes off for 20 and the Tigers can get scoring from inside, I like their chances a lot. Arledge is an interesting post player and I like Ray's abilities as well. Unioto is a fine basketball team.

I think it comes down to the post. Who does better, not just scoring, but rebounding and challenging the lane against penetration?

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Everybody have a safe trip down. Roads kind of iffy now but should be fine by tonight. Good luck to the Lady Tigers.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Are you sure this will be played tonight? I think there might more snow tonight and tomorrow and then freezing rain Friday.Lovely...

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

I'm hoping for a Sherman victory, but I think Cville will be too much .Unless ,the refs are the same ones that called the Chilly game....LOL..... Go Tanks!!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Free Throws in the Tournament

Unioto- 72
Opponents- 5(possibly 7)

When you don't attack the basket(aka, 6 foot girl at the basket) you don't get to the line.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

45 minutes til tipoff. I'll have a full game recap when I return from the game.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Circleville 15, Unioto 6 at Halftime.Wow what a defensive struggle!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

CIrcleville won, Not sure of the final but I believe it was double digits.

COngrats to Coach K and the Circleville girls. We are rooting for you down in Oak Hill as usual!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Circleville 39, Unioto 28 FINAL

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto really needs to get in the gym immediately and work on outside shooting or this will happen again next season. They couldn't buy a bucket from really anywhere. The White girl did a great job of not fouling at all in the game and probably had 6 or 7 blocks.

Circleville played with passion for 32 minutes and took advantage of the about 5 minutes in the 2nd quarter when Unioto got out of it's game. Mogan had around 22 and had all of Circleville's points in the 4th. I think Driggs led Unioto with 9, but I'm not sure on that.

The better team tonight definetly won and good luck to the Tigers on Tuesday! Represent the SE District well!

Congrats to the Lady Shermans on a fantastic year(22-2) and on getting back to the top of the SVC a year before everyone thought they would. Janelle Hougland and Savannah Fouty both finished out excellent careers and were great leaders for an overall very young team. Shiann Ray, Taylor Corcoran, and Taylor Karshner now need to step up in the leadership role and continue on what those 2 seniors did for this team.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto really needs to get in the gym immediately and work on outside shooting or this will happen again next season. They couldn't buy a bucket from really anywhere. The White girl did a great job of not fouling at all in the game and probably had 6 or 7 blocks.

Circleville played with passion for 32 minutes and took advantage of the about 5 minutes in the 2nd quarter when Unioto got out of it's game. Mogan had around 22 and had all of Circleville's points in the 4th. I think Driggs led Unioto with 9, but I'm not sure on that.

The better team tonight definetly won and good luck to the Tigers on Tuesday! Represent the SE District well!

Congrats to the Lady Shermans on a fantastic year(22-2) and on getting back to the top of the SVC a year before everyone thought they would. Janelle Hougland and Savannah Fouty both finished out excellent careers and were great leaders for an overall very young team. Shiann Ray, Taylor Corcoran, and Taylor Karshner now need to step up in the leadership role and continue on what those 2 seniors did for this team.
Do you think you will be in D2 again next year or back in D3? Ray especially needs to work on a outside shot.She is quick,a slasher, and handles the ball well, but needs an outside shot to complete the package.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto is stuck in D2 for at least one more year. The divisions don't get redrawn again until 2009-2010. Which is bad, because Unioto is probably the smallest D2 in both boys and girls basketball.

Once Ray gets the outside shot down, she'll be extremely tough to stop, she was one of many who were heistant to shoot from the outside tonight when they needed it. Only one girl was taking the shots, you need to have multiple ones confident enough to shoot it.

BTW, I honestly think Mogan only missed 2 or 3 shots all night. Once she knocked down the long 2 in the corner, she caught fire and carried her team.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

District champions!!!!! Congrats to the Circleville girls. Second time in three years.

Big stat - Unioto 3 of 6 from the line. Unioto has made a living in the tournament of penetrating to the basket, drawing fouls and getting to the line. Had to settle for a lot of outside jumpers.

Rachael Spangler had the big three to get Circleville going. Circleville was really struggling shooting at first. Then Casse Mogan caught fire with another great game, Kaitlin Graham had some good minutes with points and boards, Megan White had some good blocks and did a good job on Arledge and Wade had a nice game.

Congrats to Unioto on a nice season. 22-2, SVC champions. This is a team to watch next year, that's for sure.

Also props to the crowd. 1400 people probably and good job by the Circleville student section. Nice to see good crowds from both schools.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Unioto returns Ray, Arledge and company next year and I've heard they have put some more bulk to the schedule.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto returns 4 starters(Ray, Arledge, Cottrill, and Corcoran) as well as Driggs and Karshner, who were the 1st 2 off the bench last night. They have a very good 8th grade class(32-2 in 2 years) coming up and had a pretty successful JV group.

The future is definetly bright in Frenchtown.

Return to “Girls Basketball”