Riding the Bench

OVC

Post by RV FAN »

How will the OVC stack up this year?

osumufan
SE

Re: OVC

Post by osumufan »

I think the Pointers will win the OVC with an undefeated record in OVC play. They only lost one starter so they should be really strong. They will still be young but very strong.

RV FAN
Riding the Bench

Post by RV FAN »

How many starters did Coal Grove lose?

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Have to go with the Pointers on this one as well. I could really see them being undefeated in OVC play but not for the whole season. Good Luck Pointers!

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point lost the best player of the freshman class to Boyd County. A couple of the other tarting players from last year are cheering so I don't know if they can play and cheer.

Emmit Bryant
Waterboy

Post by Emmit Bryant »

Would she have played much for South Point this season?

OVC1999
Waterboy

Post by OVC1999 »

I look for South Point to take the OVC. I think they will struggle with the rest of their schedule, but what doesn't kill them will only make them stronger.

I also look for Chesapeake & Fairland to make some noise in the OVC this year. Any news on what RV has?

And as for SP losing the best of the freshman class--that's not so true. They did lose a upcoming freshman to BCHS, but not their best by far.

RV FAN
Riding the Bench

Post by RV FAN »

I think RV has a chance to finally make some noise in the OVC. They have three of the starting five returning and they won some games in the OVC last year.

I think they have a chance to compete with all the teams on any given night.

I am not sure what Coal Grove has returning.

Safetyman
Riding the Bench

Post by Safetyman »

ovc 1999 I will have to agree with you. S.P wins the OVC outright, Coal Grove will be tough and Chesapeake will improve this year with Ruffner transfering from Fairland. The freshman that transfered to Ky. she is a good athlete but in pressure games she just don't handle the pressure mentally.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Who transferred? And what starters are cheering? None. Tinesha , fletcher, koukos, leighty,mitchell,bradburn,stewart et al. SP will take OVC easily. I'm just curious thoough who is this supposed transfer? :12224

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

A couple of the starters from 8th grade are cheering, Henderson and Khounlavong and Roarke went to Boyd County. I think the transfer was the best of the freshman class, she really had to pick up the slack last year and when Mitchell went down with a knee injury. If Mitchell learns to dribble the ball like a guard she will surpass Roarke. I think Mitchell reached her growth spurt already! I think Roarke is still growing and will be force because she has a good outside shot and can play the middle. Too bad she didn't stay at the Point. I guess kid"s parents decide that by their actions. Too bad for Charlie.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Look for RV to make a lot of noise in the OVC this year. Coach Gilmores 2nd year, the girls all know what to expect, and what is expected of them. They graduated a couple of key players, but they have some girls that will step up and fill those spots easily. Marcum is back, that girl is unstoppable underneath. Her sister has stepped it up also, and brings some speed with her. Sands also returns, she handles the ball well, and shoots good also. Ward is back as a jr. she has played a lot of varsity ball, she is an all-around player, she can play point, post, and will sink the 3 on you, if you leave her open. I understand that they had a good turn-out for the open gyms, and played well together. I also think that there are some freshman that are up there now that may be able to add some depth.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

what shootouts and team camp did rv attend this summer? were they involved in any summer league this year?

Athletic1
Waterboy

Post by Athletic1 »

One problem with South Point athletics is that year after year they pit players against each other for whatever reason. South Point Girls Basketball is going to be awesome this year because the players who have chosen to play and that have chosen to stay at South Point are dedicated basketball players. Many of them choose to work extremely hard in the off season to better themselves. It is time that parents start teaching their athletes to play as team players. The attitude that is seen on the court is a reflection of what goes on at home and on the way home from games. Support every child, but we need to remember that most of these girls want to play at the next level.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Pit players against each other? What do you mean? If that happened , I don't think SP would have won , what , 6, 7 OVC's in a row? They are a team and Coach Adams does a great job................. :12224

Athletic1
Waterboy

Post by Athletic1 »

Parents and the community do this from the beginning of buddy league basketball. It makes it very difficult for the team to come together when they reach the middle school and high school level. My remark was not geared toward Coach Adams in any way. There are athletes walking the halls of SP schools that never step foot on the court or a field. SP can be strong in every sport, but the lack of community support and a well ran athletic program puts them at a disadvantage.

The Jackal
Waterboy

Post by The Jackal »

Safetyman,

Did you say that the Ruffner girl is now playing for Chesapeake?
I had the chance to watch her this summer - talented young lady.

Safetyman
Riding the Bench

Post by Safetyman »

Jackal, Yes Amanda transfered to Chessy this summer. And also Sarah Rice transfered. Both from Fairland. Amanda is not only a talented player, she is a good kid. Chessy is very lucky to have her. She will be one of the biggest factors there. We tried to get her at South Point.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

I think RV has some older starters returning that will help. The freshmen will struggle to be big contributors.

rvhs09
Waterboy

Post by rvhs09 »

Can't forget about Molly Ruff for RV. Great player all around.

Return to “Girls Basketball”