NO NET CUTTING FOR SECTIONAL CHAMPIONS

sneake-pete
Freshman Team

NO NET CUTTING FOR SECTIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by sneake-pete »

I personally think this is a bunch of crap that there will not be net cutting at the sectionals this year,reason given was that it cost to much and takes to much time...Come on guys this is what the tourny. is about. for some kids this is the highlight of there basketball carrer..Just my opinion but i think this is wrong... :oops: :oops:

renob
Freshman Team

Re: NO NET CUTTING FOR SECTIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by renob »

I personally thought it was stupid to do this for the sectionals

buddyholly
Freshman Team

Post by buddyholly »

Nets do not cost that much. I think the real reason is they(?) do not want to take the time to do the net cutting. Net cuttiing is a time for the championship team to celebrate. SO LET THEM CELEBRATE!!!!

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

An for some its the LAST TITLE that they get for the YEAR. I say let them enjoy IT!!

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

I agree. It surprised me that there are no trophies or plaques given to a team for sectional championships.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Back in the day we had to win three games to get out of the sectional. Now you can get out by winning one game if you get a bye. The emphasis is put on the district. Right or wrong, this is part of the decision to do away with cutting of the nets. As the guy who always had to put them back up after the first championship game, it was a real pain in the butt. As a coach, it was pure pleasure to help cut them down.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

If they are saying it is the cost that is a bunch of bull. Heck that would just be added into the expenses of running the sectional and the schools would get less money from the sectional. But have not the expenses been driven up anyway if you know what I mean. It would have to be the time and that can be taken care of by starting the games at 6 instead of 6:15. Let the kids cut down the nets!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

for shame

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

this will not affect the winning teams. who look beyond the glorified title :idea: you have to win at the convo to be taken seriously :!: :mrgreen:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Once again, a decision made by the administration of the OHSAA that has nothing in mind for the sake of the kids, only for the sake of the people who are hosting sectional games and raking in the bucks from a concession standpoint.

Yea, I'm not real keen on winning one and done with the sectionals, but the OHSAA morphed it into this, so, why penalize the kids. This is simply assinine.

The OHSAA is devaluing the feat of winning a sectional championship by doing this. If it is not "worthy" of the winning team cutting down the nets, then the OHSAA needs to revisit the tournament format and make it meaningful for a team to win the sectional, and thus warrant the priviledge, to cut down the nets (at least in the old men's eyes).

Kids get shorted, and don't understand why. Shame on the adults.....

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

A good set of nets costs $10.

How many tickets does it take for OHSAA to make $10?

If I'm a coach or AD, I would pay the tournament director $10 and cut down the nets. If I'm the tourney director, I would refuse the money and look the other way while the nets are cut down.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Personally, I don't think that I have ever seen a team cut the nets after only a sectional win though I know that some do it. Sectionals used to be at a different level in the tournament. It was the equivalent of a district semi-final at one point.

But heck, the winning team can always go home and have a celebration and cut their own nets for the parents to take pictures of. Have a little party with their fans. No one is stopping them from doing that. Any excuse for a party.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

dr rabbit, I'm a little disappointed in your glib response on this. I kind of thought that you would be a little more supportive of the kid's achievement, especially with your strong support of track and field.

Alot gets made of individual accomplishments in t&f meets, even though it doesn't mean squat once the tournaments begin. And once they begin, these kids that advance, get celebrated, at every step of the way.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

good move to keep everything moving at a steady pace. nets should only come down for the final four.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

next think you know we will be playing with a running clock :roll: :roll: :roll: ..... got to same as much time as possible.... cut back on # of timeouts we could finish a game under an hour.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I dont agree with this...Winning a sectional still means something...Just ask the schools in the Adena D2 Sectional.If you are lucky enough to win you deserve to cut the nets down...

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

To me there are WAY bigger injustices to argue about than a bit of string for a kid's scrapbook.

Thinking back, I think I did see a DIV team cut the nets once at sectional level and thought it was a bit silly. But that was a gut response to the event.

I am serious about cutting the home nets. If it is important to a team, no one stops them from cutting those and then everyone gets their bits to take home.

This issue is about window dressing. It goes along with giving out a trophy to every kid that participates in little league. It cheapens the trophy. It does not really hurt a kid not to cut nets. The achievement is still the same. They are still sectional champions and all that that implies. (Top 64 in the state in that division--256 teams total.) I think that it is not a bad thing to reserve the net cutting for the next level. Each step should be more special. How we celebrate is just customs--not important details.

I will argue to the end that there should be four divisions in track and field--because I believe that it really cheats the kids that we don't have four. And when they increase the number of participants that is required for a school to be considered a 'team'--well that makes my blood boil. Because if they have over a certain number of 'teams' then their bylaws say they HAVE to add another division. BUT change the defination of a 'team' from five to nine athletes and suddenly all these schools are not fielding teams any more and we drop back below the mandatory level of adding that fourth division. And that is what they did...

Did you know that in Florida, every 100 schools in sport means a seperate championship? We would have 7 divisions in football and 9 or so in basketball if we followed that. West Virginia has about 100 high schools and gives out 3 championships in most sports. You have a 1 in 35 chance of winning a state championship in WV each year in a given sport. Other states have about 15 teams per division--it is almost like winning a conference. In Ohio we have about 1 in 250 chance to win in most sports. Football is best of any sport at better than 1 in 150 chance.

Of course, if we did increase the divisions, it would really cheapen the sectionals as most would never be played. We would be starting at the district level and this issue would be gone as we all would cut the district nets.

Bottom line is that I, truly, personally, think that cutting the nets should be kept for district and above. But this is exactly what we have done for a long time around here. It happens not to affect us or our current customs down this way. If they are forcing a change of your local customs, it is a good opportunity to make up new ones that fits with what you want for your kids. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the home nets sounds like a good idea :idea: :mrgreen:

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

I think the kids should be allowed to cut down the nets and enjoy the moment. For many of these kids, it may be the only time they ever get to do that. Nets don't cost that much and it doesn't take that much time.

At Northwest where they have hosted the Division IV girls Sectionals they have always allowed the nets to be cut down. Dave Frantz and before that Mike Smith did a good job of running the tournament there and they allowed the winning team to cut the nets down even though some other Sectionals didn't allow it to happen.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Just a thought, Why couldn't the schools do it anyway? Or is it a great sin to go against the almighty OHSSA? Don't we down here have more common sense then up there in Columbus?

Return to “Girls Basketball”