Open Coaching Jobs

Clark Griswold
Waterboy

Open Coaching Jobs

Post by Clark Griswold »

It's almost that time of year....what schools will have openings?

Portsmouth
Meigs?
Southern?
River Valley
Jackson
Federal Hocking
Lynchburg
Whiteoak
Last edited by Clark Griswold on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chained Eagle
Riding the Bench

Re: Open Coaching Jobs

Post by Chained Eagle »

River Valley?
Southern?
Meigs?

Goldbond
Waterboy

Post by Goldbond »

Eastern-Brown
Lynchburg
Peebles

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

Peebles is open again? Wasn't it open last year?

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Coach Hatten stepping down? Why?

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Black Panther wrote:Coach Hatten stepping down? Why?

It has to do with her being principal at the school. The board let her coach this season to finish coaching her daughter. But from what I have heard, she has to step down because of the principal's position she has now.

tagyourit wrote:Peebles is open again? Wasn't it open last year?

As far as I know, Peebles is NOT open and will not be!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I'd say the girls basketball program will take a hit because of it.People can do more than one job at a time.I think that's a lame rule all the way around.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Black Panther wrote:I'd say the girls basketball program will take a hit because of it.People can do more than one job at a time.I think that's a lame rule all the way around.

Not all schools have this rule but a lot do. I do not agree with this rule either.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Lynchburg has a very talented group coming up in a few years.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Post by jumpstop14 »

Most districts have this rule because if the coach is the principal who do the parents go to with problems. After setting up a meeting with the coach and/or athletic director if the issue is not resolved or the parents have a problem where do they go. It has to do with the chain of command. Coach, AD, Principal, Superintendent. So you get to the principal level & if the coach & principal are the same person how do you discipline yourself? How do you really get in "trouble"? Normally if a coach happens to cuss or say the "wrong" thing they are pulled into the principal's office & talked to about the situation. So that is why it is a problem. It can work as long as the coach/principal doesn't abuse the power.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Agree with last post. Most schools don't want "administrative" types in the coaching ranks for reasons stated above plus a few others.

Mark May
Freshman Team

Post by Mark May »

jumpstop14 wrote:Most districts have this rule because if the coach is the principal who do the parents go to with problems. After setting up a meeting with the coach and/or athletic director if the issue is not resolved or the parents have a problem where do they go. It has to do with the chain of command. Coach, AD, Principal, Superintendent. So you get to the principal level & if the coach & principal are the same person how do you discipline yourself? How do you really get in "trouble"? Normally if a coach happens to cuss or say the "wrong" thing they are pulled into the principal's office & talked to about the situation. So that is why it is a problem. It can work as long as the coach/principal doesn't abuse the power.

Thats where the super needs to step in and handle the situation if need be.But most complaints to the coach from parents are usually why their kid is'nt the superstar and why aren't they playing more.If there is a real problem I'm sure it can be dealt with even if the Coach and the Principal are one and the same.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Post by jumpstop14 »

Yea I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying it isn't preferred or ideal. Most coaches won't even discuss playing time with parents. But coaches do allow their emotions to get the best of them at times & may recognize that a day or so later but it is kind of hard to sit yourself down & have a talk with yourself about the language you used in a speech or singling out a certain kid or strongly "encouraging" a few players to not try out the next season.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

board of education is over the super so i dont know why its an issue.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Post by jumpstop14 »

Yes the BOE is over the super but what I'm saying is they are the last resort. BOE members do not want phone calls at home from parents upset about playing time. They have more important decisions to make about finances, policies, etc.
And just to throw out a situation but what if it is a BOE that has the problem with a coach's language or his/her daughter's playing time?
It is just a confused mess in some instances. I'm not saying it won't work because I have seen it work. But it is something that needs to be evaluated at the end of every season by all the school officials involved. The Principal's job extends from more than 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. They have extracurricular responsibilities, etc. If some of this is falling short because he/she is coaching a sport then it is probably not a good idea. For instance did you know it is a requirement that a school administrator be at all extracurricular activities? Whether that is an AD, Principal, or Super it is required. Sometimes there are just too many events & not enough administrators because one is a coach. An assistant AD could be one solution but that costs money.
Again not saying it won't work but I can easily see where the district would have problems with it.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

thats what elementary principals are for. hee hee

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Federal Hocking. Joe Butcher is done coaching, which is understandable, as he will be spending his time watching his daughter play for Kent State next year.

The Answer
Waterboy

Post by The Answer »

Will Federal Hocking have enough girls back to even have a team? They had no JV team and had alot of seniors this year.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Post by jumpstop14 »

Elementary principals have their own responsibilities. They have way more grade levels to cover from K-8. There are always events they have to attend.

Pavilion
Riding the Bench

Post by Pavilion »

Heard today that Jackson is now open.

Return to “Girls Basketball”