JV games in the SOC1

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

JV games in the SOC1

Post by ManitouDan »

Now that we are 1/2 way thru the season I'd like to ask other's opinions on the lack of full 4 quarter games. ND had an injury that knocked us down from 12 to 11 total players and at that point the decision was made to just play 2 quarters of JV.

The only school I know for sure that has plenty of players and would want to do 4 quarters of JV , is Clay.

So what is everyone else seeing ? I see a bunch of younger players not getting needed experience. MD

thunderdome
Waterboy

Re: JV games in the SOC1

Post by thunderdome »

Significant problem for small schools. Clay cancelled out some of their two-quarter jv games so that they can schedule four-quarter contests with other full-squad jv teams. It would be nice to have a separate jv schedule but cost is apparently prohibitive.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Numbers are also on the decrease with the bigger division II schools as Portsmouth West and South Webster only play 2 periods and Oak Hill list a junior and 3 seniors to make up their 11-player JV squad.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Does OHSAA mandate 2 ref's for JV games ? I could care less about scores/wins/loses. kids just need to play. If you could arrange games with 1 ref that would cut the biggest expense in 1/2 .

Sort of an unofficial scrimmage maybe ? We have good players who are deseparate for game time to really improve. 2 quarters a night doesn't get it. I also see some players are getting to stay in games with 3 and 4 fouls because they know they won't foul out. Reinforces bad habits by not getting yanked with 2 or 3 fouls .

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

I find it hard to believe that so many schools are faced with the lack of numbers, but it may be true. I don't see the point in having a JV if it is only 2 qtrs. All the practice and time spent preparing is not worth 12 mins of play. And for Clay to have the numbers when enrollment is less than most other schools in District makes it harder for me to believe, but the games that I have attended, the benches do seem to be shallow.

MD - I'm not sure about the ref's on JV games. I know that when you are getting your officiating license and gaining experience, JV games are usually all a 1st and 2nd year official will get. So I'm not sure that a single ref is allowed for coverage and safety-sake of the players.

But, something needs to happen so these kids can play a full game that they deserve. Development is going to be a big factor when not getting the playing experience. If this continues, you will def some lack in competition from the teams in the SOC's due to this. Yes, you will still have your talented kids from each school, but I believe overall development will not be the same for the current and upcoming players.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I agree sokkr, development is going to suffer. And it discourages kids to stick with it. You work , run, get beat around, invest tons of time to play 4 quarters a week (or less if you are a sub) or what amounts to less than 10 games a season --some will say "not worth it" sad , but I don't have a clear answer to make it better, other than if you 5 bodies play the whole game. You have 1 foul out , finish with 4. MD

bryanc45
JV Team

Post by bryanc45 »

oak hill jv games are always 4 quarter games.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

What alot of people dont see is that kids have alot of more opportunities now days, not just sports,but overall in their social life. Alot of kids get burned out, or just dont want to work that hard to earn playing time or work. Coming up thru biddy leagues now days it is all about making your kid feel good about themselves, without really working at it. We give trophies and allow kids to make all star teams that dont deserve it cause we want everyone to feel good. When they hit Jr High/High School and you have to really try out and playing time is not manadatory, you start seeing number drop off. Plus alot of schools have soccer, volley ball, softball starting earlier. There are alot of year round leagues for kids to participate in nowdays, and some kids realize that I am better in this sport than bball and just work that. The technology I truly believe has really hurt high school atheltics, kids would rather stay at home and talk to friends online, text, etc..when I was in school, as must of us, you wanted to play because that was where your friends where, and when you went home, you were home with your family. Pay to play will also hurt school athtletics, alot of good atheltes will not be able to play, cause they will not be able to afford it...probably going to see alot of high schools, just have a varsity team, sad but a starting look at our atheletic future for small schools..

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

softball starting earlier ?? I heard some teams were jumping the gun bigtime . lol MD

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

I absolutely agree with Falcon. As a coach, you can't push the kids to do anything because they will complain to their parents and get them involved. Varsity spots and playing time are EARNED! I've only been out of high school for 7 years now and the difference is amazing with kids these days. Parents do not need to get involved. I remember practices where all we would do is run. Now days, you will have kids cry to their parents and the coaches eventually get in trouble for pushing them too hard.

It's almost a joke.

It seems that the SOC is one of the only Conferences around Ohio not to have club sports and opportunites to play all year round. That goes back to the youth level and all the segregated leagues among each school. Numbers would increase in each sport if we (SOC Schools) would adopt a league system like the rest of Ohio, but people down this way just seem to be too lazy IMO.

Return to “Girls Basketball”