SE

South Point vs. Marietta

Post by osumufan »

Saturday March 5th @ the Convo 11:00 am tentatively

mhs95_06
S

Re: South Point vs. Marietta

Post by mhs95_06 »

What makes it tentatively and when will the situation that makes it so be resolved?

Osu1fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu1fan »

I believe they are waiting to see if OU receives a home game for 1st round of Mac tourney.

Osu1fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu1fan »

I think this will be a great game. It will be fun to watch two teams press each other and try to get those easy scores. Marietta got away from the press from Jackson midway through the 2nd qtr. I thought they played better ball when they pressed Jackson, then when they backed off the offense just went south. That let Jackson play good half court D and started hitting some big shots to take the lead. When they went back to it, things clicked, and was able to pull off the win. As for the Pointers, its the key to the whole game, press, speed up the game/opponent, get easy scores, wear them out, and then put away with potent offense. Its fun to watch when the press is in high gear. Good Luck Pointers, and see u at the convo.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

I have to disagree in some ways with you. Despite not liking Marietta's coach's actions, the way he switches up his defenses makes him a pretty good coach. It kept Jackson's players on their toes the whole night. They didn't know if they were going to be pressed, half to face a zone that trapped or half court man. While I agree that Marietta looked to click more when they pressed, I think he also knew that he had to keep them thinking. And somewhere in the back of his mind he knew that he wouldn't be able to press South Point very much anyways.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think they have to give it a try. South Point's guard play is excellent but Marietta is pretty long and they pressure you from the rebound all the way down the court very well. The 5'0 PG is amazingly quick and fun to watch....but I gotta test her to see if she can get through it enough to make it not worthwhile.

Marietta is impressively patient on offense but Jackson did play good enough 1/2 court defense in the 3rd and 4th qtrs for them to get a touch frustrated and take a few poor shots.....but they are experience and do not make many errors.

I look for a very good game. I can see either team winning but I think Marietta is better all around. I believe if both teams play well that Marietta will win.

I do wonder why South Point kept their 2 stars in the game while still up 35 points with 3 minutes remaining......I would've been scared to death for a freak injury or something. No positives in that situation IMO.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Good shooting cures a lot of ills, but it is difficult to overcome bad shooting. Jackson's defense was excellent, but Marietta was off on shooting from the beginning with their two shooters, Grosel and Dawson, under heavy defensive duress, and everyone else having a hard time too, especially Brown who killed Logan as they chose to clamp down more on Grosel and Dawson. Dawson's points mostly came off steals for breakout baskets and FTs, and a big rebound put back late. Tiger shooters shot air balls on at least two wide open 10-12' shots. They did end up getting 3 treys in, one on a lucky bank shot early by Dawson, Brown finally getting one after many shots, and then Grosel with a big one late to cut a 6 point deficit to 3 on a very difficult one coming off a pick in the right corner and having a quick small opportunity for a shot. About the only thing offensive that was working much was Grosel's little running one hander from about 10' that she made one of in each quarter. 25% shooting isn't going to win many games especially when you are out rebounded by 14, and Jackson must have had a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio on offensive rebound points. Points were really at a premium in the game. The saving grace for Marietta was the effectiveness on the press, especially when they were behind late and in dire need. Points they scored off the takeaways from 3 mins left down to 0:54 to tie it were crucial. But it was crucial from 0:54 down to 0:07.4 as Jackson was trying to hold the ball for the last shot. The press forced Jackson into two time-outs and a held ball that seemed inconsequential at the time with Jackson having the arrow just a few seconds left, and the arrow not carrying over to OT, and then it forced the travel down the lane at a similar time in the game and place on the floor as the game at Jackson which looked like it hinged on the block/charge call at about the same time in that game. But the held ball became crucial when Dawson got tied up with 1.8 sec left and it gave Marietta the ball under their basket to set-up one last play. From 7.4 sec down, I was expecting Jackson to use their 3 fouls they had to give to foul on the floor to run out the clock, and maybe they were going to do that on the inbounds play if their defense would have been close enough to foul on the inbounds catch. Marietta had the perfect play called, especially with the set up of the last second win in their previous game on a trey from the corner. When I saw them set up with :01.8 on the clock after the TO and saw Jackson's defense heavily biased to the wings, I thought a pick and a roll to the basket was the best bet, and sure enough it worked perfectly and no foul would have even been possible until the shot was gone. I thought when the shot left the hand it was too high and too hard, but it caught the rim flush popped up in the air and fell through.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5025

The Marietta assistant coach is credited with concocting the final play to win the game, and on Saturday morning's WMOA basketball wrap-up show, Chris Wharff called the play straight out of the Minneapolis Lakers play book.

This, from the Jackson County Times-Journal, is how Jackson's coach described the final play:

While Jackson caged the Tigers with an outstanding defensive effort, Summers’ shot will be remembered most.

“We were really looking at defending (Erica) Dawson and (Meagan) Grosel, but we hedged the screen a little too long and gave the girl (Summers) time to slip the screen and get a nice wide open shot,” said Jackson coach Anna Allen of the final possession. “Our defensive effort was great. We knew from the beginning that we were going to have to stop Dawson and Grosel. I thought we did that very well tonight.”

Two years ago I saw McClain shoot the eyes out of the basket in the wide expanse of the Convo to get a district championship, but generally I think the expanse hurts the shooting, especially for the first trip there, so we'll see how it goes for the district championship.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Let's go lady pointers!!!!!

Good luck especially to the senior class, who I know are not ready to end their season yet...go get a third district championship!

I think if SP can play their style of ball all game long they'll get the big win and another trip back to the regionals, this time in Division II instead of III!

Go Big Blue! Hopefully there will be a big crowd too.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Just wanted to say good luck to my old friend Coach Cozzens, his staff and to the team. The school record has been set and 39 victories in two years is a tremendous job. Now you have the chance to add on and continue a fine season. Business is pciking up this week........get them ready and go get another win. It is tourney time and all of us remember that the will to prepare to win is just as important as the will to win. The ratio of the mental to the physical is the same as 4 is to 1. Take care of business !!!!!!!

gobrowns
Freshman Team

Post by gobrowns »

It is exciting for the SEOAL to have two teams making a tourney run. Good Luck to Logan and Marietta.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Is it for sure March 5th then? I know they said it could change. I didn't know if by now they knew for sure yet or not?

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Good luck to Marietta this Saturday against SP and Logan playing Olentangy Orange in Columbus tonight.

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

Good luck South Point girls---K. Bennett needs to have a good game for the pointers to win,have a good one Kim.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

good luck to the Lady Pointers........

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

does anyone know if there is an internet broadcast for this game either for marietta or south point? would really like to listen to this game.

marklane
JV Team

Post by marklane »

Winner to play Cambridge.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Marietta already beat Cambridge right?

marklane
JV Team

Post by marklane »

Not sure if they played during the regular season or not.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Marietta beat Cambridge 48/47

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

mray23 wrote:does anyone know if there is an internet broadcast for this game either for marietta or south point? would really like to listen to this game.
www.espnwjaw.com Click on the "live feed" tab, then the blue play button.

Return to “Girls Basketball”