Division II sectional - Meigs

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Division II sectional - Meigs

Post by 93Bulldog »

Thought I would start a new thread as we get down to crunch time ... very intresting sectional I must say, a lot of quality teams will be down at Meigs.

updated standings as of Jan. 11th ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Schedules.html

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Division II sectional - Meigs

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure why its not - but this sectional should have been held at Wellston I think.

probably the largest - and one of the nicest gyms in all of southeastern Ohio - and its not even being used for tournaments.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

With Etta losing at Waterford...

#1 Jackson 15-0
#2 FU
#3 Athens
#4 Marietta
#5 Warren

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Should be some great games down at Meigs. Last year 3 of the 4 sectional games were great games. Athens/Fairfield Union Jackson/South Point and Marietta/Vinton County were all games that could have gone either way. Seeding will be interesting and still a lot of basketball to be played but I will stay with.

1. Jackson
2. Marietta
3. Fairfield Union
4. Athens
5. Warren
6. Vinton County
7. Sheridan
8. South Point
9. Gallia Academy
10. New Lexington

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

updated standings after Saturday ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Schedules.html

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

A DIV loss for Marietta wi hurt, especially with Waterford not being near the team they've been. FU play any teams in the draw? That may hurt them if they haven't, otherwise people don't know anything about them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Waterford is (10-2) ... "not being near the team they've been?"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:Waterford is (10-2) ... "not being near the team they've been?"
How did they do against Eastern Meigs?

IMO with the sectional being so tight up top...the loss drops them from the #2 to the #4

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

That was clear back on Dec. 6th when Waterford got hammered by Eastern ... pay attention to the rematch in Waterford here in a few weeks.

The Lady 'Cats also have WARREN, FORT FRYE, MAYSVILLE & MARIETTA again coming up the 2nd half of the seaason.

Those games will show whether or not Waterford is or isn't the team they usually are.

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Fairfield Union plays Logan right before the draw. The only other comparison is Circleville which the beat twice and who Athens lost to. Fairfield Union generally does not get a lot of help in the room.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:That was clear back on Dec. 6th when Waterford got hammered by Eastern ... pay attention to the rematch in Waterford here in a few weeks.

The Lady 'Cats also have WARREN, FORT FRYE, MAYSVILLE & MARIETTA again coming up the 2nd half of the seaason.

Those games will show whether or not Waterford is or isn't the team they usually are.
I never said or thought Waterford wasn't what they usually are...pencil them in the district finals...just like every other year. As for Waterford getting beaten badly by Eastern on Dec 6th, what does that matter? Both teams early in season and coming off deep volleyball runs. Waterford is the second best D4 team in the entire SE district.

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Also Drayer was not back to full strength. It will be different the second go around. GO LADY CATS!!!

teach123
Freshman Team

Post by teach123 »

Keep in mind too that Waterford petitioned to leave the east district to join the southeast district when they joined the TVC. Therefore, geographically they should be in the east district with Fort Frye. think of the schools that would have made it to districts from the southeast the last few years had Waterford stayed in the east.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

only one other school each year?

:)

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Falcon Fan wrote:Fairfield Union plays Logan right before the draw. The only other comparison is Circleville which the beat twice and who Athens lost to. Fairfield Union generally does not get a lot of help in the room.
Don't go comparing scores, that rarely works. FU's loss to Logan Elm can also hang around their neck like an anchor as well.

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

I agree 100% on comparing scores but I know last year they hung Fairfield Union's loss to Logan around their neck. Someone just asked if we played anybody in the sectional and I was just pointing out the 2 common opponents that they might have with some schools. I dont believe Logan Elm plays anybody else in the sectional but if we lose to Logan that will be held against us. Still a lot of basketball to be played before seeding.

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

Post by BannersnRafters »

This subject has bothered me from day 1, any system that allows coaches the opportunity to control/influence the outcome of their own teams path/seeding is extremely flawed, it is nothing more than a numbers game and politics ...10 teams...10 votes...the 'ol "u vote for me, I'll vote for you" system, heck coaches carpool to these meetings together, and I assure you they're not talking about what courses they've golfed already in the spring...with VERY good sources on all this, I know for a fact that @ last year's seeding meeting there were coaches that had the arrogance to vote Jackson as a #1 or #2 seed over a Marietta team that beat Warren 3 times and that same Warren team beat Jackson TWICE! The end result as most know with Jackson losing in sectionals and both Marietta & Warren advancing all the way to Regionals, I'm sure this happens in other sectionals & districts too, its only natural when coaches are looking out for their programs/players, the only solution to this is to take the human factor/subjectivity out of the equation and move towards a more objective system based on opponents Div. level, W-L record, and location of these games, its like the BCS.....may not be PERFECT.....but its the most fair and truthful way to determine it

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wasn't Jackson the #3 seed behind Marietta and Warren?

BannersnRafters
Riding the Bench

Post by BannersnRafters »

They were, only by a single vote though, I agree with Falcon Fan too on FU not having anybody else in the room, that's the problem with the system, it shouldn't be based on the buddy-buddy ways, this year will only be worse because of all top teams having similar records but very different strength of schedules IMO, even harder when these teams rarely play one another like a FU and then it becomes a paper comparison and political event, something is wrong with that

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

What do you suggest then?

Return to “Girls Basketball”