Division IV Sectional @ Northwest

go48
Riding the Bench

Division IV Sectional @ Northwest

Post by go48 »

Haven't seen anything on this Sectional yet. What are the records of the teams in this sectional?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Division IV Sectional @ Northwest

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak 1-14

They beat Western Pike 45-40 the first game of the year. ISJ just beat them by 21 at WO.

Fairfield is 1-13....beat West Union by 20+

Manchester is 8-7.....probably the #3 seed

Notre Dame might be the #1 seed. I don't know Clay's record but the beat Manchester by 20+... Manchester might be the #3

Ironton St Joe
Portsmouth East
New Boston
Green
Clay
Western....lost to Whiteoak but beat East, Green and New Boston...only lost to ND by 9?

1. ND/Clay
2. Clay/ND
3. Manchester
4. Western
5. Ironton St Joe
6. East
7. Green
8. New Boston
9. Fairfield
10. Whiteoak

I think #4-#10 could all beat each other on any given day.

Western must be improving a good bit....or Green, NB and East are all not as good as Whiteoak.

Right now Fairfield is 1-13....but I bet they are the 4th or 5th best team in this sectional.

The winner of the #3/#6 and the winner of the #4/#5 will advance to the district semis and be lucky not to get blown out. The 4/5 winner will face Eastern Meigs (similar to Fayetteville) and the 3/6 winner will face Waterford. The #1 and #2 winners at NW can win the first district game but then will face Eastern Meigs and Waterford. They are by far the best D4 team in the district. Eastern Meigs might be a Final 4 team.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Western has improved tremendously since the beginning of the year. With 7 games left, I think they have an opportunity to go 5-2 in that stretch. Really looked good vs Notre Dame last Saturday. If Manchester is at the 3 we will have a chance to make our case for 3 if we can beat them at their place on Feb 4th. The thing is that they will have to play 5 of those 7 on the road. Gonna have to really be focused.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

ND will be the one , Clay has already lost to Eastern twice in SOC play and ND once , ND beat Eastern twice . Clay has 6 or so loses , ND has none so far . No need to guess at the one seed . Unless a major collaspe occurs ND will have 1 conference loss at the most and Clay has three already ,, with ND still left to play . MD

80sballer
Waterboy

Post by 80sballer »

ND is 14-0, should get number one seed, I have read in a couple places where people talk about NDs point differential in games and that maybe it should be larger. My daughter has played for the current coach for three years and I have yet to see him run it up and has had several chances to do that. With regards to the Western game that they won by 9, ND was up big a few times and seemed to let off the gas, Western is much improved and can give people fits, I do believe when Western comes to ND it might be a larger spread but who knows, ND is a solid team in all aspects of the game and have beat some quality opponents and has beat some quality opponents soundly, are they good enough this year to play with the likes of waterford and reedsville, lets hope we get the chance to find out.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

At 12-2, St. Joe's Lady Flyers are getting no love from Ironman92. Having won 5 in a row, all against teams in this sectional, they are ranked behind a team they just beat by 10 in Western. I would say St. Joe should have no worse seed than a #3 by looking at the records and whom they've beaten and possibly a #2 depending on how the rest of the season pans out. I have very little information on Manchester other than being 6-5 according to Maxpreps with two wins over White Oak, which is a common opponent for SJ so disputing the claim as a #2 would not be prudent. SJ and Manchester do meet later in the season, but not sure whether it is before or after the tourney draw. That could make a lot of difference in the seeding meeting. Notre Dame's 14-0 record speaks for itself, no doubter as a #1 unless, as ManitouDan said, there is a complete collapse prior to the seeding.
Last edited by Vision Quest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Sorry, but Western played St Joes at their place, and had alot of trouble adjusting to the smaller floor. Not saying they would beat them at a neutral floor, but it would be a different game.
I think ND has to be the #1, with Eastern #2, but I think 3 is still up for grabs....

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Sorry, I meant Clay #2

go48
Riding the Bench

Post by go48 »

All but 2 of Fairfield's losses have been to D2 or D3 schools. There schedule has been brutal this year. They have a very good player in the Cox girl she is avg. 20pts and 14reb a game. They have played well against most of the teams they have lost too. Starting 4 soph and 1 jr with soph coming off the bench. They will be well tested come tourney time.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

IndianFan4life wrote:Sorry, but Western played St Joes at their place, and had alot of trouble adjusting to the smaller floor. Not saying they would beat them at a neutral floor, but it would be a different game.
I think ND has to be the #1, with Eastern #2, but I think 3 is still up for grabs....
Thanks for the correction. Mis-read the schedule.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Visionquest- No problem, just wanted to clarify. Im wondering? How many of those 5 wins vs the sectional teams were at their home floor. I just noticed that they play very well on their home court, it was hard for our girls to do anything there. It might make a difference if the majority of their wins are at their place. How have they done on the road this year. Not implying Western should be up there any higher, just curious about St Joes record.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

JMHO but I wouldnt schedule St Joe unless they agreed to play in a "real" gym . It is a different game up there for sure I mean they dont even have a full three point circle . they do have a decent team .

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

IndianFan4life wrote:Visionquest- No problem, just wanted to clarify. Im wondering? How many of those 5 wins vs the sectional teams were at their home floor. I just noticed that they play very well on their home court, it was hard for our girls to do anything there. It might make a difference if the majority of their wins are at their place. How have they done on the road this year. Not implying Western should be up there any higher, just curious about St Joes record.
7-1 at home, 3-1 on the road and 2-0 on neutral courts (5-1 away from the not "real" gym), for 12-2.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

ManitouDan wrote:JMHO but I wouldnt schedule St Joe unless they agreed to play in a "real" gym . It is a different game up there for sure I mean they dont even have a full three point circle .
As for the "real" gym comment, you can only use what you've got. Ironton barely allows the boys team to use the auxiliary gym that they get to use. Unfortunately, the gym at St. Joe is the only gym the girls have to use.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

yes , it is unfortunate . coming from the same background as St Joe ( Notre Dame) I fully realize the difficulties of funding . But something needs to be done . Maybe us big bully privates could ask for the leftovers from the list of scioto/lawrence co that have brand new facilities given to them by the taxpayers ? ( lets see Burg , Valley ,PHS , New Boston , Clay , Im prob forgetting others ) MD

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

ManitouDan wrote: But something needs to be done . Maybe us big bully privates could ask for the leftovers from the list of scioto/lawrence co that have brand new facilities given to them by the taxpayers ? MD
What is unfortunate as well, probably 70-75% of the parents of SJ students are paying taxes for the district portion that built the new schools in Ironton and are being allowed to use it, begrudgingly and sparingly.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

New schools are nice, but if it were me, and I had a choice. I would keep the girls in that gym. They know how to beat you there. They make it very tough to get into an offense because of the size of the floor. There is no spacing to your offense. East has the same advantage, they are very tough to beat in Sciotoville. If I had an advantage like that I wouldnt give it up. Good luck to all in the tournament.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wasn't short-changing ISJ... The only thing I knew was a 21 point victory at Whiteaok.

Manchester beat Whiteoak by about 40 for somewhat of a reference and then by 20....so ISJ at 12-2could be the 2 or 3.

Just had no clue on their record.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak snaps 14 game losing streak.

Whiteoak 73
West Union 68

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

Ironman92 wrote:I wasn't short-changing ISJ... The only thing I knew was a 21 point victory at Whiteaok.

Manchester beat Whiteoak by about 40 for somewhat of a reference and then by 20....so ISJ at 12-2could be the 2 or 3.

Just had no clue on their record.
Alrighty, then! Glad I could enlighten. :-D SJ has a couple tough games still on the schedule in Notre Dame, Manchester and East. I believe two on the road. All could be very telling in the seeding, but I'm not sure of the date for the seeding meeting. Plus, this is a young team. One senior and one junior and the rest sophomores and freshmen. Should be good to watch for years to come.

Return to “Girls Basketball”