Fairfield Christian coach to take Fisher job

formerfcfan
SEOP

Fairfield Christian coach to take Fisher job

Post by formerfcfan »

Fairfield Christian (FCA) coach Ben Bethel, who led the Lady Knights to three regional appearances in the last five years along with five outright MSL-Cardinal titles in the same timeframe, has resigned to take the job at rival Fisher Catholic.

I don’t think this by any means indicates that Fisher will become a ‘threat’ (however the definition set by FCA) at the regional level, but this basically cuts FCA at the knees. Ben Bethel is one of the BEST program-builders and students of the game this side of I-70 and US23. This is a man that doubled up on varsity coaching as well as biddy and middle school coaching for FCA, and he did a stupendous job not just at fundamentals instruction but also in-game management. This may not be that significant across the deeper part of Southern Ohio, but anyone remotely knowledgeable about girls basketball in the greater Lancaster/Perry County areas are gasping right now.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Fairfield Christian coach to take Fisher job

Post by Chieftain2009 »

WHAT?!?! My question is this, why??

Ben Bethel is a great guy! I got to know him a little bit when I was coaching track at FCA. He built a great program at FCA.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm WHAT?!?! My question is this, why??

Ben Bethel is a great guy! I got to know him a little bit when I was coaching track at FCA. He built a great program at FCA.
This, too, shocks me.

All I know, although this has been at least five years ago now, is that he was teaching at Liberty Union and then driving to FCA for girls hoops afterwards. This wouldn’t normally seem like that much of a time expense, but he doesn’t live near Lancaster either.

I got to know a little bit about Ben and his family from when I was with the FC biddy league: tremendous people, folks of great character and 100% commitment to anything and everything they do. FC just made their best hire possible, athletically, in the past ten years today. Man has a .903 winning percentage at FCA — wow!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm WHAT?!?! My question is this, why??

Also, FC announced that Dwayne Hurst - who led Berne Union to overall record of 130-54 through much of the 2010’s - will be joining the staff as Bethel’s JV coach. Dwayne was the varsity coach at FC during the 90’s.

girlshoopsfan
Waterboy

Post by girlshoopsfan »

Any word on who is taking over at FCA?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

girlshoopsfan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm Any word on who is taking over at FCA?
They are taking applications until September 20th.

No real sense of urgency, if you ask me!

girlshoopsfan
Waterboy

Post by girlshoopsfan »

Still no word on this? Wow

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

girlshoopsfan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:36 am Still no word on this? Wow
It’s Seth Martin, who doesn’t stay at a school longer than two years.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Martin dropping to a much smaller school. Went from Logan to Zanesville and now FCA.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Martin dropping to a much smaller school. Went from Logan to Zanesville and now FCA.
Had the stint on the boys side at LU in between Logan and Zanesville. I’m honestly surprised he left Zanesville.
I know they’ve been down but he’s a legend there.

It’s more surprising to see Martin take the FCA job than Bethel the FC job. FCA has not a whole lot behind Hope Custer. Just stepping into a fire, I feel like. With FCA, more particular to the girls program, you have a whole school (although a small one) acting like they have something to prove now that the best coach in their athletics history has moved on. Saw some comments on social media after the hire was announced from a few FCA parents that basically said “we won because of our kids, not the coaching”. Ouch.

grey22
Waterboy

Post by grey22 »

I am surprised Martin keeps getting jobs. He left Zanesville hanging right before the season started. He has no interest in developing a program he wants to try and win right away and if that doesn't work he picks up and moves. I was told he was barely going to have enough kids to have a full team at Zanesville because everyone quit.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

grey22 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 am I am surprised Martin keeps getting jobs. He left Zanesville hanging right before the season started. He has no interest in developing a program he wants to try and win right away and if that doesn't work he picks up and moves. I was told he was barely going to have enough kids to have a full team at Zanesville because everyone quit.
Seth Martin isn’t listed as the GBK coach for FCA on the OHSAA page anymore, which I know was just updated recently to reflect their change in football coaches. Did he leave there?

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Taylor »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:27 pm
grey22 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 am I am surprised Martin keeps getting jobs. He left Zanesville hanging right before the season started. He has no interest in developing a program he wants to try and win right away and if that doesn't work he picks up and moves. I was told he was barely going to have enough kids to have a full team at Zanesville because everyone quit.
Seth Martin isn’t listed as the GBK coach for FCA on the OHSAA page anymore, which I know was just updated recently to reflect their change in football coaches. Did he leave there?
Probably didn't have any talent coming back. :o

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Chuck Taylor wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:30 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:27 pm
Probably didn't have any talent coming back. :o
Funny enough, you’re right.

Talked to an FCA parent today, the program only had 6 girls playing by the end of the season. Best player that would’ve been returning transferred out.

And yeah, Seth left. Can’t blame him.

Return to “Girls Basketball”