A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

User avatar
hawkeyepierce
All State
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:48 pm

A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by hawkeyepierce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm

…here is the Vinton County Girls’ Basketball Schedule for this upcoming season. A lot of you, expert prognosticators of high school girls’ basketball excoriated Coach Bentley and the girls for their “soft” and/or “weak” schedule last year, well… here you go.

Saturday, Nov 23 - Chillicothe @ VCHS
Saturday, November 30 - Warren @ VCHS (JV Noon)
Thursday, December 5 - Wellston @ Wellston
Saturday, December 7 - River Valley @Alexander HS (Turn it Gold)
Monday, December 9 – Meigs @ Meigs HS
Thursday, December 12 - Alexander @ VCHS
Monday, December 16 – Athens @ Athens HS
Wednesday, December 18 - Newark @ Newark HS
Saturday, December 21 - Eastmoor Academy @ Rio Grande University (6:45pm)
Monday, December 23 - Unioto @ Unioto HS
Saturday, December 28 - Dublin Jerome @ Teays Valley HS
Saturday, January 4 – Wheelersburg @ Wheelersburg HS
Monday, January 6 - Nelsonville @ VCHS
Thursday, January 9 – Meigs @ VCHS
Monday, January 13 - Fort Frye @ Fort Frye HS
Thursday, January 16 – Alexander @ Alexander HS
Monday, January 20 – Cleveland John Hay @ Westerville
Tuesday, January 21 - Jackson @ VCHS
Thursday, January 23 – Athens @ VCHS
Thursday, January 30 - Nelsonville @ Nelsonville HS
Monday, February 3 - River Valley @ VCHS
Thursday, February 6 - Wellston @ VCHS (Senior Night)

When you look at this schedule, there should be noticeable, I mean noticeable opponents, and you should be saying “…Wow…” First, there are four DI opponents on this schedule and they are no soft DIs. Chillicothe, usually big and athletic, Newark, they have two of the best players in the state, and a favorite to win it all, Dublin Jerome, another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.

Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.

Then there is the DIIIs. Wheelersburg will be Wheelersburg and looking for payback for the 39-point thumping they got last year. Fort Frye is very good and will probably win their league. Alexander will be prideful, a rival, and looking for payback.

No one can deny this season’s schedule. It is daunting and to look at the gauntlet of games over the holidays, when historically kids are out of routine, full of holiday food, and do not play well, they have to face at Newark, Eastmoor on the road, at Unioto, Dublin Jerome on the road, at Wheelersburg. If the Lady Vikings are able to come out of that stretch, 3-2, I would consider it very successful.

Furthermore, it should be noted that this schedule is in part and parcel because there are schools in the Southeast District that refuse to play us and there were schools that had removed us from their schedule.

However, as I have been saying for years, well since I joined this forum, there is a fine line in scheduling to be competitive and tested than being beaten and discouraged. Moreover, you must mindful of what, or where you want to be at tournament draw time. There are no advantages or awards for playing a tough schedule, you are never awarded for quality losses. These coaches will only look at your wins and loss record when they go to vote.

Thought experiment, let say this year, Fairfield Union, hypothetically, may have one loss, but did not play the schedule that Vinton County has played, and Vinton County has four losses, who is the better team? Who is deserving of the number one seed? Now, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings are staring at a four seed. Their row just got harder to hoe.

The one thing for certain…these girls are 44 and 4 over the past two seasons, including being 24-0 in the Tri-Valley Conference, with two sectionals, but unable to get past the districts. Therefore, Coach Bentley said; “We will be ready.” So I guess we will see.

But all of you internet trolls out there should be happy. You are seeing a tough schedule, we will see if you are right.



LeftHanded
Riding the Bench
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:16 pm
Location: In A Van Down By The River

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by LeftHanded » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 pm

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm
…here is the Vinton County Girls’ Basketball Schedule for this upcoming season. A lot of you, expert prognosticators of high school girls’ basketball excoriated Coach Bentley and the girls for their “soft” and/or “weak” schedule last year, well… here you go.

Saturday, Nov 23 - Chillicothe @ VCHS
Saturday, November 30 - Warren @ VCHS (JV Noon)
Thursday, December 5 - Wellston @ Wellston
Saturday, December 7 - River Valley @Alexander HS (Turn it Gold)
Monday, December 9 – Meigs @ Meigs HS
Thursday, December 12 - Alexander @ VCHS
Monday, December 16 – Athens @ Athens HS
Wednesday, December 18 - Newark @ Newark HS
Saturday, December 21 - Eastmoor Academy @ Rio Grande University (6:45pm)
Monday, December 23 - Unioto @ Unioto HS
Saturday, December 28 - Dublin Jerome @ Teays Valley HS
Saturday, January 4 – Wheelersburg @ Wheelersburg HS
Monday, January 6 - Nelsonville @ VCHS
Thursday, January 9 – Meigs @ VCHS
Monday, January 13 - Fort Frye @ Fort Frye HS
Thursday, January 16 – Alexander @ Alexander HS
Monday, January 20 – Cleveland John Hay @ Westerville
Tuesday, January 21 - Jackson @ VCHS
Thursday, January 23 – Athens @ VCHS
Thursday, January 30 - Nelsonville @ Nelsonville HS
Monday, February 3 - River Valley @ VCHS
Thursday, February 6 - Wellston @ VCHS (Senior Night)

When you look at this schedule, there should be noticeable, I mean noticeable opponents, and you should be saying “…Wow…” First, there are four DI opponents on this schedule and they are no soft DIs. Chillicothe, usually big and athletic, Newark, they have two of the best players in the state, and a favorite to win it all, Dublin Jerome, another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.

Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.

Then there is the DIIIs. Wheelersburg will be Wheelersburg and looking for payback for the 39-point thumping they got last year. Fort Frye is very good and will probably win their league. Alexander will be prideful, a rival, and looking for payback.

No one can deny this season’s schedule. It is daunting and to look at the gauntlet of games over the holidays, when historically kids are out of routine, full of holiday food, and do not play well, they have to face at Newark, Eastmoor on the road, at Unioto, Dublin Jerome on the road, at Wheelersburg. If the Lady Vikings are able to come out of that stretch, 3-2, I would consider it very successful.

Furthermore, it should be noted that this schedule is in part and parcel because there are schools in the Southeast District that refuse to play us and there were schools that had removed us from their schedule.

However, as I have been saying for years, well since I joined this forum, there is a fine line in scheduling to be competitive and tested than being beaten and discouraged. Moreover, you must mindful of what, or where you want to be at tournament draw time. There are no advantages or awards for playing a tough schedule, you are never awarded for quality losses. These coaches will only look at your wins and loss record when they go to vote.

Thought experiment, let say this year, Fairfield Union, hypothetically, may have one loss, but did not play the schedule that Vinton County has played, and Vinton County has four losses, who is the better team? Who is deserving of the number one seed? Now, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings are staring at a four seed. Their row just got harder to hoe.

The one thing for certain…these girls are 44 and 4 over the past two seasons, including being 24-0 in the Tri-Valley Conference, with two sectionals, but unable to get past the districts. Therefore, Coach Bentley said; “We will be ready.” So I guess we will see.

But all of you internet trolls out there should be happy. You are seeing a tough schedule, we will see if you are right.
It took me longer to read this than it’s gonna take me to drive to Newark High School.



bman
SE
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:52 am

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm
…here is the Vinton County Girls’ Basketball Schedule for this upcoming season. A lot of you, expert prognosticators of high school girls’ basketball excoriated Coach Bentley and the girls for their “soft” and/or “weak” schedule last year, well… here you go.

Saturday, Nov 23 - Chillicothe @ VCHS
Saturday, November 30 - Warren @ VCHS (JV Noon)
Thursday, December 5 - Wellston @ Wellston
Saturday, December 7 - River Valley @Alexander HS (Turn it Gold)
Monday, December 9 – Meigs @ Meigs HS
Thursday, December 12 - Alexander @ VCHS
Monday, December 16 – Athens @ Athens HS
Wednesday, December 18 - Newark @ Newark HS
Saturday, December 21 - Eastmoor Academy @ Rio Grande University (6:45pm)
Monday, December 23 - Unioto @ Unioto HS
Saturday, December 28 - Dublin Jerome @ Teays Valley HS
Saturday, January 4 – Wheelersburg @ Wheelersburg HS
Monday, January 6 - Nelsonville @ VCHS
Thursday, January 9 – Meigs @ VCHS
Monday, January 13 - Fort Frye @ Fort Frye HS
Thursday, January 16 – Alexander @ Alexander HS
Monday, January 20 – Cleveland John Hay @ Westerville
Tuesday, January 21 - Jackson @ VCHS
Thursday, January 23 – Athens @ VCHS
Thursday, January 30 - Nelsonville @ Nelsonville HS
Monday, February 3 - River Valley @ VCHS
Thursday, February 6 - Wellston @ VCHS (Senior Night)

When you look at this schedule, there should be noticeable, I mean noticeable opponents, and you should be saying “…Wow…” First, there are four DI opponents on this schedule and they are no soft DIs. Chillicothe, usually big and athletic, Newark, they have two of the best players in the state, and a favorite to win it all, Dublin Jerome, another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.

Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.

Then there is the DIIIs. Wheelersburg will be Wheelersburg and looking for payback for the 39-point thumping they got last year. Fort Frye is very good and will probably win their league. Alexander will be prideful, a rival, and looking for payback.

No one can deny this season’s schedule. It is daunting and to look at the gauntlet of games over the holidays, when historically kids are out of routine, full of holiday food, and do not play well, they have to face at Newark, Eastmoor on the road, at Unioto, Dublin Jerome on the road, at Wheelersburg. If the Lady Vikings are able to come out of that stretch, 3-2, I would consider it very successful.

Furthermore, it should be noted that this schedule is in part and parcel because there are schools in the Southeast District that refuse to play us and there were schools that had removed us from their schedule.

However, as I have been saying for years, well since I joined this forum, there is a fine line in scheduling to be competitive and tested than being beaten and discouraged. Moreover, you must mindful of what, or where you want to be at tournament draw time. There are no advantages or awards for playing a tough schedule, you are never awarded for quality losses. These coaches will only look at your wins and loss record when they go to vote.

Thought experiment, let say this year, Fairfield Union, hypothetically, may have one loss, but did not play the schedule that Vinton County has played, and Vinton County has four losses, who is the better team? Who is deserving of the number one seed? Now, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings are staring at a four seed. Their row just got harder to hoe.

The one thing for certain…these girls are 44 and 4 over the past two seasons, including being 24-0 in the Tri-Valley Conference, with two sectionals, but unable to get past the districts. Therefore, Coach Bentley said; “We will be ready.” So I guess we will see.

But all of you internet trolls out there should be happy. You are seeing a tough schedule, we will see if you are right.
Impressed to see Newark on the schedule. Eastmoor is also a very solid game. Two good pick-ups from the Central District.

FYI...VC is playing Licking Heights now up at Teays Valley.
http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Tournament/38347/23014



bsee12345
JV Team
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bsee12345 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am

Looks like a good schedule. Playing teams outside of Southeast Ohio will benefit the Vikings greatly. The Southeast District has some very good teams but getting to play teams that your not greatly familiar with will benefit them at tourney time. The farther you go in tourney usually you are less familiar with the team your playing.



User avatar
hawkeyepierce
All State
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by hawkeyepierce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm

bman, I was told it was Dublin Jerome by Coach Bentley; however, he could have been mistaken. Either way, it is a quality opponent on the road at holiday time.
bsee12345 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am
Looks like a good schedule. Playing teams outside of Southeast Ohio will benefit the Vikings greatly. The Southeast District has some very good teams but getting to play teams that your not greatly familiar with will benefit them at tourney time. The farther you go in tourney usually you are less familiar with the team your playing.
The award for the most understated and obvious remark goes to....



Big Daddy 7371
Freshman Team
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by Big Daddy 7371 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:35 pm

yes you will not find a better schedule and you are correct about the won / loss records VC is in a very tough D2 bracket with Seridan and Circleville along with unioto it will be hard to get a 1or2 seed but this will be some of the best basketball in the state cant wait till Dec 23 ill get to see that one good luck VC this year they have some great players on that team



bman
SE
Posts: 2463
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 am

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:25 pm
bman, I was told it was Dublin Jerome by Coach Bentley; however, he could have been mistaken. Either way, it is a quality opponent on the road at holiday time.
bsee12345 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am
Looks like a good schedule. Playing teams outside of Southeast Ohio will benefit the Vikings greatly. The Southeast District has some very good teams but getting to play teams that your not greatly familiar with will benefit them at tourney time. The farther you go in tourney usually you are less familiar with the team your playing.
The award for the most understated and obvious remark goes to....
It was originally Jerome, but was changed because Teays is already playing Licking Heights earlier in the month. Newark and Eastmoor are great gets and then you sprinkle in some solid SE schools like Burg and Alex inside the league. Nice job by VC.



SEFan
JV Team
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by SEFan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:40 am

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Thought experiment, let say this year, Fairfield Union, hypothetically, may have one loss, but did not play the schedule that Vinton County has played, and Vinton County has four losses, who is the better team? Who is deserving of the number one seed? Now, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings are staring at a four seed. Their row just got harder to hoe.

Which is why the SE seeding is broken doing it NCAA. If VC loses 4 close games, to the likes of Newark and Eastmoor, and end up getting the four seed (which is the fault of the coaches), they should pick where they go on the bracket... just like every other district in the state!!! They feel they can beat the #2 seed, then they go that direction. But the way the SE does it, they are forced to go to #1 based on bias voting. The whole system is flawed.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 20859
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by Ironman92 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:32 pm

I think VC will be good enough and tested enough that their seeding won’t matter much...if any.

Good schedule, IMO the next step. Good Luck to the Lady Vikings

When I assisted the Jackson girls softball team and we went to the regional finals and lost a late inning heartbreaker to the eventual state champs.....we were I think a 10-7 #6 seed. Our schedule wasn’t out of the district but we faced the best pitching in the district bar none. The girl that eventually beat us and win it all went on to pitch at Ohio State. She didn’t beat us...a costly error in the top of the 6th did. Our schedule IMO was the key contributing factor to that postseason run.



beaverlover
SE
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Beaver

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by beaverlover » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Impressive! Kudos to coach Bentley as he is in a tough position scheduling wise. Look forward to seeing this talented team this season.



chiefs76
Riding the Bench
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by chiefs76 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Great Test for lady Vikings. I remember watching coach Bentley when he was here at Logan coaching my daughters travel team he had us playing up searching for great competition every weekend. That’s justly simply him always has been . I’m excited about seeing the lady vikes this year and I’m definitely going to check them out even though I would like to see him in purple .. with his daughter and Davis!!!! Good thing vinton is close😎😎



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 20859
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by Ironman92 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:54 pm

chiefs76 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Great Test for lady Vikings. I remember watching coach Bentley when he was here at Logan coaching my daughters travel team he had us playing up searching for great competition every weekend. That’s justly simply him always has been . I’m excited about seeing the lady vikes this year and I’m definitely going to check them out even though I would like to see him in purple .. with his daughter and Davis!!!! Good thing vinton is close😎😎
I’m probably confusing last names but is the Davis girl Melissa Cooper’s daughter?



User avatar
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo
Posts: 269268
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:39 pm
Location: Logan, Ohio

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by noreply66 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am

Ironman92 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:54 pm
chiefs76 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Great Test for lady Vikings. I remember watching coach Bentley when he was here at Logan coaching my daughters travel team he had us playing up searching for great competition every weekend. That’s justly simply him always has been . I’m excited about seeing the lady vikes this year and I’m definitely going to check them out even though I would like to see him in purple .. with his daughter and Davis!!!! Good thing vinton is close😎😎
I’m probably confusing last names but is the Davis girl Melissa Cooper’s daughter?
Yes


GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

bballislife
Waterboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bballislife » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am

noreply66 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am
Ironman92 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:54 pm
chiefs76 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Great Test for lady Vikings. I remember watching coach Bentley when he was here at Logan coaching my daughters travel team he had us playing up searching for great competition every weekend. That’s justly simply him always has been . I’m excited about seeing the lady vikes this year and I’m definitely going to check them out even though I would like to see him in purple .. with his daughter and Davis!!!! Good thing vinton is close😎😎
I’m probably confusing last names but is the Davis girl Melissa Cooper’s daughter?
Yes
No the Davis girl they are referring to now is Myriah Davis.
Paige Davis graduated a couple years ago. Myriah’s parents are Rob and Megan Davis



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 20859
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by Ironman92 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 pm

bballislife wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am
noreply66 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am
Ironman92 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:54 pm


I’m probably confusing last names but is the Davis girl Melissa Cooper’s daughter?
Yes
No the Davis girl they are referring to now is Myriah Davis.
Paige Davis graduated a couple years ago. Myriah’s parents are Rob and Megan Davis
Thank You

I at least had the last name right



bballislife
Waterboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bballislife » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 pm
bballislife wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am
noreply66 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 am


Yes
No the Davis girl they are referring to now is Myriah Davis.
Paige Davis graduated a couple years ago. Myriah’s parents are Rob and Megan Davis
Thank You

I at least had the last name right
No problem
Two great Davis’s from Logan, easy to get confused 😁



chiefs76
Riding the Bench
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by chiefs76 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm

I think they are cousins. I always remember them by the tall one Paige is 6 foot tall and myria is barely 5 ft tall. Two quality players from Logan.. I’m excited to see the lady vikes again this year.. Coach Bentley will squeeze every ounce of there abilities from his team but I think his schedule will test them like they never been tested before.. only time will see if there ready for this stage.



bballislife
Waterboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by bballislife » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 am

chiefs76 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm
I think they are cousins. I always remember them by the tall one Paige is 6 foot tall and myria is barely 5 ft tall. Two quality players from Logan.. I’m excited to see the lady vikes again this year.. Coach Bentley will squeeze every ounce of there abilities from his team but I think his schedule will test them like they never been tested before.. only time will see if there ready for this stage.
No they aren’t cousins . No relation
I believe Myriah is atleast 5’5- 5’6 not 5 feet 😂
And I don’t think paige was 6 feet 😆



vcgrad
JV Team
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 am

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by vcgrad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 am

Wonder why the boys didn't upgrade? I heard they play Reedsville Eastern this year? and New Hope--League is weak to begin with why these schools??



User avatar
hawkeyepierce
All State
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by hawkeyepierce » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm

vcgrad wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 am
Wonder why the boys didn't upgrade? I heard they play Reedsville Eastern this year? and New Hope--League is weak to begin with why these schools??
New Hope is better than you think. I believe that once they are sanctioned, they will make a quite of noise in the DIV brackets. We are playing them because they asked to play us. They want to test themselves, they want the legitimacy that comes with playing with teams like us, and they are looking at the bigger picture. So, God bless them.

As for Eastern, they needed a game, we needed a game, we travel well, and it made sense. So be it.

However, just like the girls, we don't always get the opponents others think we should have. But we do have some quality DII opponents this season; Miami Trace, Zane Trace, Washington Court House, Fairfield Union, Jackson, and Athens twice, and DI Logan. Our schedule is not soft by any means.



Post Reply

Return to “Girls Basketball”