A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: A'ight...to all of you haters out there....

Post by formerfcfan »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm
vcgrad wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 am Wonder why the boys didn't upgrade? I heard they play Reedsville Eastern this year? and New Hope--League is weak to begin with why these schools??
New Hope is better than you think. I believe that once they are sanctioned, they will make a quite of noise in the DIV brackets. We are playing them because they asked to play us. They want to test themselves, they want the legitimacy that comes with playing with teams like us, and they are looking at the bigger picture. So, God bless them.

As for Eastern, they needed a game, we needed a game, we travel well, and it made sense. So be it.

However, just like the girls, we don't always get the opponents others think we should have. But we do have some quality DII opponents this season; Miami Trace, Zane Trace, Washington Court House, Fairfield Union, Jackson, and Athens twice, and DI Logan. Our schedule is not soft by any means.
For what it’s worth, New Hope Christian is not on the path toward OHSAA sanctioning due to the fact that NHCA permits non-students to play for them.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Wow. Ok. I did not know that.

When we spoke with the staff last year, they wanted to be sanctioned and was working towards it. Unless, something has changed.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I spoke with a member of their staff on Tuesday and they stated that their major hurdle is not having enough students within the walls of the building. They have a significant number of "home-schooled" that play for them. I am assuming that is what you are meaning?

However, it is a shame. The NHCA team I saw Tuesday night would make a lot of noise in a DIV bracket. They are a very nice ball club. They have three to four solid shooters, a very athletic kid that can beat you off the dribble or pull-up from 15 feet, and a thicker bodied left-handed kid that was a force down low. I don't know what their schedule is like but, I can see them winning a lot of games.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Saturday, Nov 23 - Chillicothe @ VCHS
Saturday, November 30 - Warren @ VCHS (JV Noon)
Thursday, December 5 - Wellston @ Wellston
Saturday, December 7 - River Valley @Alexander HS (Turn it Gold)
Monday, December 9 – Meigs @ Meigs HS
Thursday, December 12 - Alexander @ VCHS
Monday, December 16 – Athens @ Athens HS
Wednesday, December 18 - Newark @ Newark HS
Saturday, December 21 - Eastmoor Academy @ Rio Grande University (6:45pm)
Monday, December 23 - Unioto @ Unioto HS
Saturday, December 28 - Dublin Jerome @ Teays Valley HS
Saturday, January 4 – Wheelersburg @ Wheelersburg HS
Monday, January 6 - Nelsonville @ VCHS
Thursday, January 9 – Meigs @ VCHS
Monday, January 13 - Fort Frye @ Fort Frye HS
Thursday, January 16 – Alexander @ Alexander HS
Monday, January 20 – Cleveland John Hay @ Westerville
Tuesday, January 21 - Jackson @ VCHS
Thursday, January 23 – Athens @ VCHS
Thursday, January 30 - Nelsonville @ Nelsonville HS
Monday, February 3 - River Valley @ VCHS
Thursday, February 6 - Wellston @ VCHS (Senior Night)/quote]

That schedule is crazy. Kudos to VC for stepping up and playing some tough teams. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm …here is the Vinton County Girls’ Basketball Schedule for this upcoming season. A lot of you, expert prognosticators of high school girls’ basketball excoriated Coach Bentley and the girls for their “soft” and/or “weak” schedule last year, well… here you go.

Saturday, Nov 23 - Chillicothe @ VCHS
Saturday, November 30 - Warren @ VCHS (JV Noon)
Thursday, December 5 - Wellston @ Wellston
Saturday, December 7 - River Valley @Alexander HS (Turn it Gold)
Monday, December 9 – Meigs @ Meigs HS
Thursday, December 12 - Alexander @ VCHS
Monday, December 16 – Athens @ Athens HS
Wednesday, December 18 - Newark @ Newark HS
Saturday, December 21 - Eastmoor Academy @ Rio Grande University (6:45pm)
Monday, December 23 - Unioto @ Unioto HS
Saturday, December 28 - Dublin Jerome @ Teays Valley HS
Saturday, January 4 – Wheelersburg @ Wheelersburg HS
Monday, January 6 - Nelsonville @ VCHS
Thursday, January 9 – Meigs @ VCHS
Monday, January 13 - Fort Frye @ Fort Frye HS
Thursday, January 16 – Alexander @ Alexander HS
Monday, January 20 – Cleveland John Hay @ Westerville
Tuesday, January 21 - Jackson @ VCHS
Thursday, January 23 – Athens @ VCHS
Thursday, January 30 - Nelsonville @ Nelsonville HS
Monday, February 3 - River Valley @ VCHS
Thursday, February 6 - Wellston @ VCHS (Senior Night)

When you look at this schedule, there should be noticeable, I mean noticeable opponents, and you should be saying “…Wow…” First, there are four DI opponents on this schedule and they are no soft DIs. Chillicothe, usually big and athletic, Newark, they have two of the best players in the state, and a favorite to win it all, Dublin Jerome, another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.

Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.

Then there is the DIIIs. Wheelersburg will be Wheelersburg and looking for payback for the 39-point thumping they got last year. Fort Frye is very good and will probably win their league. Alexander will be prideful, a rival, and looking for payback.

No one can deny this season’s schedule. It is daunting and to look at the gauntlet of games over the holidays, when historically kids are out of routine, full of holiday food, and do not play well, they have to face at Newark, Eastmoor on the road, at Unioto, Dublin Jerome on the road, at Wheelersburg. If the Lady Vikings are able to come out of that stretch, 3-2, I would consider it very successful.

Furthermore, it should be noted that this schedule is in part and parcel because there are schools in the Southeast District that refuse to play us and there were schools that had removed us from their schedule.

However, as I have been saying for years, well since I joined this forum, there is a fine line in scheduling to be competitive and tested than being beaten and discouraged. Moreover, you must mindful of what, or where you want to be at tournament draw time. There are no advantages or awards for playing a tough schedule, you are never awarded for quality losses. These coaches will only look at your wins and loss record when they go to vote.

Thought experiment, let say this year, Fairfield Union, hypothetically, may have one loss, but did not play the schedule that Vinton County has played, and Vinton County has four losses, who is the better team? Who is deserving of the number one seed? Now, Coach Bentley and the Lady Vikings are staring at a four seed. Their row just got harder to hoe.

The one thing for certain…these girls are 44 and 4 over the past two seasons, including being 24-0 in the Tri-Valley Conference, with two sectionals, but unable to get past the districts. Therefore, Coach Bentley said; “We will be ready.” So I guess we will see.

But all of you internet trolls out there should be happy. You are seeing a tough schedule, we will see if you are right.
Wow Timmy
Hope you feel better now
Schedules are what they are
Why do you care what anyone thinks?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Where have you been Howard. All of last year, this forum was littered with Vinton County doesn't play anyone. So, it cannot be said this year.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Lets see if the tough schedule pays off or hurts the team--only time will tell.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Been traveling for work a lot lately so have a lot of catching up to do. But I’ll start with this Hawkeye quote:

“Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.....another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.”

Cleveland City teams are gawd awful! You make this sound like the second coming of Regina Girls Basketball. River Valley, Jackson and Athens are absolutely gawd awful, not sure they have 5 wins combined. Eastwood Academy is NOT good, and Meigs will be 3-5 in TVC, no where close to winning anything.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 pm Been traveling for work a lot lately so have a lot of catching up to do. But I’ll start with this Hawkeye quote:

“Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.....another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.”

Cleveland City teams are gawd awful! You make this sound like the second coming of Regina Girls Basketball. River Valley, Jackson and Athens are absolutely gawd awful, not sure they have 5 wins combined. Eastwood Academy is NOT good, and Meigs will be 3-5 in TVC, no where close to winning anything.
Excellent post, would read again

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 pm Been traveling for work a lot lately so have a lot of catching up to do. But I’ll start with this Hawkeye quote:

10/10 would recommend

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

A few of these VC people are ate up. When they lose anyone who mentions it is a hater. When they blow someone out, no matter how bad the opponent, and they press till the final buzzer burying and totally humiliating the lesser team you can't question it or you "hate coach Bently." I think it's a case of thinking they were going to be a lot better than they are, and cool aide drinkers are starting to realize it and they're all redassed about it.

Just my thoughts fellas. :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Hopefully VC loses the first game

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:08 pm

A few of these VC people are ate up. When they lose anyone who mentions it is a hater. When they blow someone out, no matter how bad the opponent, and they press till the final buzzer burying and totally humiliating the lesser team you can't question it or you "hate coach Bently." I think it's a case of thinking they were going to be a lot better than they are, and cool aide drinkers are starting to realize it and they're all redassed about it.

Just my thoughts fellas. :mrgreen:
I don't think any Vinton County fans are too worried about a couple mid-season losses. I think non-VC fans are wanting them to worry/react more than they actually are.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

No Einstein. I didn't make it sound like anything. But what I did know was that Cleveland John Hay won the city championship last year and for the biggest city in the state, that is impressive. However, it is moot. John Hay found out who we are and did not want to play us. Therefore, we are playing Olentangy Liberty, another DI school. But, my overall point was you cannot take any opponent for granted, because it would make their year to beat a successful team like the Vikings, ask Nelsonville. These young Vikings are going to get everyone's best game.

notredamemom
Waterboy

Post by notredamemom »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm

“Then there is the DIIs, Warren, usually athletic, very good, and has a tradition of winning, Eastmoor Academy, always a contender in Columbus City League, Unioto, who has the best coach in the Southeast District (yes, better than Coach Bentley), even Meigs will be a contender for the league this year, and River Valley, Athens, and Jackson will be much improved.....another school with a proud tradition of winning, and John Hay, who won the Cleveland City Championship last season.

No Einstein. I didn't make it sound like anything. But what I did know was that Cleveland John Hay won the city championship last year and for the biggest city in the state, that is impressive. However, it is moot. John Hay found out who we are and did not want to play us. Therefore, we are playing Olentangy Liberty, another DI school. But, my overall point was you cannot take any opponent for granted, because it would make their year to beat a successful team like the Vikings, ask Nelsonville. These young Vikings are going to get everyone's best game.

Columbus is the biggest city in the state.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

36769B1A-89A7-4595-87C6-8ECD3AD11B8F.png
Attachments
E9006D37-6BF1-48EC-9E48-3E9106F943A0.png

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

And then there was Wheelersburg....

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

rxburgfan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:06 pm And then there was Wheelersburg....
Who shot 70% from 3 point range. Burg played a heck of a game that night. Returned the favor from the VC Win a year ago. Newark is ranked in the top 10 in D1, Burg top 10 in their division as well. NY is the only loss VC has to a team not ranked in the top 10 in their division in the state. As a VC fan, I know the schedule this season is much more difficult than last years. I didn’t expect VC to go undefeated. What I do expect is for the Vikings to learn from defeat. We will see if a tougher schedule pays off when it counts. Until then, if you want to see VC lose, please, keep it up. It’s awesome to be envied. As to all of the other elite teams in the S.E. district, burg, warren, fort Frye, etc, I wish you all well in the tournament. I love seeing S.E. Ohio make runs in the tournament. I guess that’s the difference between VC and other areas.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Couple things. #1. Cleveland IS NOT the biggest city in the state, Columbus is, Columbus is the 13th largest city in the US. #2, the Cleveland City league is BAD! Kids any good in Cleveland receive vouchers or scholarships to attend anyone of the multitude of private schools in the area.

Liberty is a legit game, congrats for the Vikings for getting that one. As for your other comments, to be the best, you’ve got to beat the best, to which the young Vikes have yet to do that. When you are young and talented, you’ve got to answer that bells when the target is on your back.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I stand corrected. Well, on the "metro" area, city limits. I knew Columbus was fast growing, I must have missed the article that Columbus over took Cleveland. My bad.

However, it does not take from my original point and that was there was so much criticism from last year that the Vikings don't play anyone. Well, they have definitely gotten outside the area, and playing teams no one else is playing. And I asked the question, at the end, what does that mean?

Some of you will say, it is great, they will be tournament ready. Some will say, see, they ain't good, they are posers, once they get outside the TVC and the SE district. And some will say, it was stupid, to put those kids through that, and some will say, that Coach Bentley was chasing his own hubris. No matter YOUR OPINION Coach Bentley is doing what he thinks is best for this team and you can agree or disagree with it, and that is fine, at the end of the year we will find out what it means. But anyone inside the county are not concern with the opinions of keyboard trolls. So keep on hating. We will enjoy these girls in the arena and we will be fine.

Return to “Girls Basketball”