Post by Raider6309 »

Newark 77
Vinton 40
Final

Ff3233
All Conference

Re: Vinton county lady Vikings 19-20

Post by Ff3233 »

When the talent level of the opponent is equal or better we know vinton will have a tough time winning. This year we will see the level of coaching they're receiving. For those of you who thought this would be a close game, need to rethink. Newark is a traditional powerhouse with d1 level talent. Vinton is a very good team for the tvc or maybe even southeast ohio, but nowhere near newark talent or coaching. We will see if vinton will morph or change or get better than their run and gun game might suggest. If they actually make regionals this year I'd say thats a success. This game vs newark in no way makes vinton look bad, anyone that knows basketball knew they didn't stand a chance. Here's hoping that it helps them develop more than one style of play.

chiefs76
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefs76 »

I was there tonight hats off to Coach Bentley and the lady vikes tonight for putting themselves on that stage Newark was absolutely amazing!!! I watched tonight the deatails tonight he coached the same from the beginning to the end tonight. I watched him here at Logan he is a true basketball junkie that lives eats sleeps basketball let that being said he has built vinton basketball program into one of the elite programs in our area but tonight’s talent was a different level.. hats off to the courage for scheduling teams like this . It was good to see the Logan girls tonight in action and the upper hand went to the lundsford girl tonight..

bballislife
Waterboy

Post by bballislife »

I was there last night and I still say if VC’s shots where falling then it would have made for a different ball game. One thing VC lacks is a big tall girl in the middle. Newark had several bigs and that makes a huge difference. Rebounding has to be something they need to work on. But they need to take this as a learning experience that only makes them better for it. Playing teams that are good is always good motivation. Looking forward to watching more action from VC.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am not going to make excuses for this "...loss..." and I did not attend the game, saw it on youtube, however, there are several things I know that some on here may not, and those "could be" contributing factors in the lack of success (success, however you want to define it), in last night game.

Did I think they could win?

First, I know that Coach Bentley and Coach Shumate are friendly, and have competed against each other for the last couple of summers, the Vikings even participated in the Newark summer league, with the Vikings being very competitive with the Wildcats and others, but that is the summer.

Secondly, the Vikings were playing a DI powerhouse on their home floor, a team probably favored to win it all.

Next, Morgan Bentley is nursing a really bad ankle, and to be honest, she probably should not have played. But, she has a relationship with Coach Shumate also, and I believe that she wanted to give it her all and she wasn't missing this game.

Next, from a coaching perspective, the Vikings' transition defense is not very good. Or it was made not to look very good by a very athletic and very good fast breaking team.

So...did I think they could win? No.

But that wasn't the point. As Coach Bentley explained to me, and trust me, we have had several, several conversations about this, but he is building, he is methodically challenging his players, asking to give their best in the face of the worse adversity. This defeat, this lesson, or this success (remember, it is how you define it), was or is, a small piece into a larger picture.

Only time will tell.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

One question, did Newark press when they were up by 30+ late in the 4th quarter? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

The truth is that Vinton is an above average team in the TVC. They will win a lot of games inside this division but every time they venture outside of it they will be rudely welcomed back to reality.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

NY Tomcat wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:01 am One question, did Newark press when they were up by 30+ late in the 4th quarter? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:
Anyone have the answer to this? Anyone?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Bulldog84---The program in Vc has to improve somewhere---you only get better by playing better teams. Don't see to many other girls or boys teams playing a grade above. It will take some time but they will be better for it.

bballislife
Waterboy

Post by bballislife »

Wow. The fact that people are on here bashing a absolutely great girls basketball team is really disheartening to me. These girls played a game last night and lost. Could things have been done differently to have a better outcome yes, but I’m sure every single game they are questioning what they can do to become better players, win or loose. No one will win 100% of the time but to me a lesson learned is just as good. Stop bashing the girls who are working so hard. They don’t deserve the disrespect!! Especially coming from adults who can hide behind a screen name!

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I totally agree.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

bballislife wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 pm Wow. The fact that people are on here bashing a absolutely great girls basketball team is really disheartening to me. These girls played a game last night and lost. Could things have been done differently to have a better outcome yes, but I’m sure every single game they are questioning what they can do to become better players, win or loose. No one will win 100% of the time but to me a lesson learned is just as good. Stop bashing the girls who are working so hard. They don’t deserve the disrespect!! Especially coming from adults who can hide behind a screen name!
Could you please point out which posts you are referring too that are "bashing the girls"?

For anyone who was at the game, did Newark press late in the game?

chiefs76
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefs76 »

Both teams pressed all night. Newark is simply just bigger stronger faster your typical d1 power house. I’m going to start a Tvc fan crisis line for people that hate Vinton County or better yet tell your coaches to teach your players to handle the basketball. I have been to a few games where vinton wins big I have never seen pressing up 30 I think this is another way to bash Bentley/vinton county.

OHball03
Waterboy

Post by OHball03 »

NY Tomcat wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:30 pm
bballislife wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 pm Wow. The fact that people are on here bashing a absolutely great girls basketball team is really disheartening to me. These girls played a game last night and lost. Could things have been done differently to have a better outcome yes, but I’m sure every single game they are questioning what they can do to become better players, win or loose. No one will win 100% of the time but to me a lesson learned is just as good. Stop bashing the girls who are working so hard. They don’t deserve the disrespect!! Especially coming from adults who can hide behind a screen name!
Could you please point out which posts you are referring too that are "bashing the girls"?

I attended the game last night and Newark is going for a deep tournament run so yes they did press till 4th quarter. Vinton County does the same. Maybe the other teams in Southeast Ohio should prepare like Vinton County does.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

OHball03 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:43 pm

I attended the game last night and Newark is going for a deep tournament run so yes they did press till 4th quarter. Vinton County does the same. Maybe the other teams in Southeast Ohio should prepare like Vinton County does.
You said they pressed "till 4th quarter." So from that I take it that in the 4th they called off the press. If so, kudos to their coach for not trying to bury the other team.

Balldontlie99
Waterboy

Post by Balldontlie99 »

NY tomcat what do you have against VC, The coaches and girls work extremely hard and are a fun team to watch. Coach Bentley may not be the most liked coach but he is a hard working coach and pushes those girls to do their best. Did Coach Bentley or Coach Combs put a spanking on you before?

bballislife
Waterboy

Post by bballislife »

You are bashing the coach there for you are bashing the team. Sounds like you have a personal issue with this coach/team! Get a life !!!

NYbuckeyes1
Waterboy

Post by NYbuckeyes1 »

On the other hand, Heard Bentley was hurt?? If rumors are true what happened and how long is she out?

Return to “Girls Basketball”