Cutting down the nets?

Soccerfan1
Freshman Team

Cutting down the nets?

Post by Soccerfan1 »

I noticed on social media that several local teams cut down the nets after winning the Sectional Titles.

It is customary to cut down the nets at the Sectional level? Home or away?

I ask because one team was not offered the net after winning a local Sectional Title game. The winning team stood waiting for a ladder and the host school did not deliver one. So they went and changed clothes and as they came out of locker room the lights began to flicker as the host school wanted us out of their gym.

What is the protocol for games like this?

Realist
Freshman Team

Re: Cutting down the nets?

Post by Realist »

Always been customary to cut the nets if a sectional is won. Or at least as long as I can remember.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Yes you cut down the nets.its a sectional championship.whoever hosted that sectional was not going by proper protocol on how to run a tournament.shame on them for six weeks!

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Realist wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:58 am Always been customary to cut the nets if a sectional is won. Or at least as long as I can remember.
Agree! I think when there is more than one Sectional Championship game being held at the same venue, that is why that they normally allow a little more time between the games.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Soccerfan1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 am I noticed on social media that several local teams cut down the nets after winning the Sectional Titles.

It is customary to cut down the nets at the Sectional level? Home or away?

I ask because one team was not offered the net after winning a local Sectional Title game. The winning team stood waiting for a ladder and the host school did not deliver one. So they went and changed clothes and as they came out of locker room the lights began to flicker as the host school wanted us out of their gym.

What is the protocol for games like this?
Was this Rosecrans at Strasburg? Yeah, I remember reading the live updates for that game. Big win and great comeback for the Lady Bishops! For sure. I know it’s disappointing to not have a big win followed up with an appropriate celebration...

but, I think sectionals, “sectional championships” and any relevant distinction has lost relevance over the years. And in some parts of Ohio it doesn’t mean anything. Like, in the Central District, both our boys and girls only had to win one tournament game in order to “win” a Sectional Championship. Why? Because 12 of the 20 boys coaches [SPLIT between two districts, ten teams to each district] slotted themselves on the lines in the “Round 2/Sectional Finals” column, with the other eight opting to do the four “play-in”/Round 1 games. Same exact deal with the girls.
So all we had to do was win a game on our home floor and we could call ourselves “Sectional Champions.”

So when four teams in a district, or eight teams in the combination of the two district tournaments within the singular athletic district (e.g. Columbus 1 and Columbus 2) can call themselves the “Champions” of something like sectionals, it loses its significance. Especially if all you had to do was win ONE game (I understand with other districts like the East or Southeast its two or three), with possibly the convenience of it on your own home court (Central District doesn’t do neutral sites until District Semi’s). Our fanbase doesn’t even call them ‘sectionals’, just “tournament games” until it reaches the district semi’s portion.

Tigerfan
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigerfan »

Eastern District DIV girls really don't have a sectional. It is a four round divisional bracket. While some still want to call the second round the "Sectional Title" it means nothing. My daughter's Shadyside team won it at home last year, and we never even questioned it. Not worthy of a net or trophy.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

As mentioned, it has typically been done, but if you aren't even getting a trophy or medals, the SE district/OHSAA doesn't recognize it as significant, so I think it is a tradition that needs changed.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Cut the nets down when it means something.

Return to “Girls Basketball”