Sweet 16: Fort Frye 38 vs Berne Union 29 Final

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Sweet 16: Fort Frye 38 vs Berne Union 27 Final

Post by formerfcfan »

Wasn’t at the game, but I can give the simple explanation on BU and reaction to calls/no-calls. This happens with every team and fanbase at some point. Maybe not yearly, but certainly when your team is at a historical point in their program’s time and they’re staring down the brink of elimination. BU has a very impassioned fanbase for all their sports, they’re very high on this year’s team and certainly what the future holds and I can’t say most fanbases in a position similar to BU’s would react differently. There is a direct connection between refs’ letting the game get out of hand and fans (especially of the losing team) getting really tight-as*ed and weird.

Not helping the case is BU’s coach, I’m sure. Full disclaimer: I’m not a personal fan of him, we have beef with each other that goes back about six years. I respect what he has accomplished at Berne on both the boys and girls’ side, though. But anyways: he has no composure whatsoever, he gets wildly dramatic in his reactions to calls/no-calls and he’ll yell, flail his arms and just fan the flames of the dissent toward the officiating crew. There’s basically no real way to police his antics, and there probably isn’t much of a reason to since he is generally a good guy outside of the gymnasium? I don’t know, man. Part of it, the fan disagreement, is just a general culture thing prevalent in high school sports. The reactions from the team and staff? Begins and ends with him.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Sweet 16: Fort Frye 38 vs Berne Union 29 Final

Post by EasternDspy »

Like the radio guys said it was terrible both ways. I just hope it’s a better crew on sat.

TCAT1000+
Waterboy

Post by TCAT1000+ »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 pm Like the radio guys said it was terrible both ways. I just hope it’s a better crew on sat.
I wonder if it the same crew that did Trimble and Peebles? They were terrible both ways. They thought they were good though. Especially the shorter guy that was saying stuff to people in stands insulting them. He also turned a blew his whistle into an elderly gentleman's ear and smirked about it when the man winced. That official was a real douche bag. It's no wonder the many good to great officials we have are having a hard time with fans. If tournament games can't be officiated by officials that act professionally it just gives them all a bad reputation.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

TCAT1000+ wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:53 am
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 pm Like the radio guys said it was terrible both ways. I just hope it’s a better crew on sat.
I wonder if it the same crew that did Trimble and Peebles? They were terrible both ways. They thought they were good though. Especially the shorter guy that was saying stuff to people in stands insulting them. He also turned a blew his whistle into an elderly gentleman's ear and smirked about it when the man winced. That official was a real douche bag. It's no wonder the many good to great officials we have are having a hard time with fans. If tournament games can't be officiated by officials that act professionally it just gives them all a bad reputation.
Officials had no type interactions. They were just awful at officiating

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

TCAT1000+ wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:53 am
It was the same crew from Sheridan vs Warren

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

An understated aspect of coaching that Liedtke has brought to Fort Frye is his treatment of officiating. When players look at him after a questionable call, he's not even looking at them. One of the assistants is coaching them how to get a better call the next time. Coach will question calls, but he picks his spots. You see his protege on the boys side going about business the same way.

Xbox360
Waterboy

Re: Sweet 16: Fort Frye (24-2) vs Berne Union (25-1) 3/5

Post by Xbox360 »

He maybe is a Fort Allumni but considering the advertisements are from the Beverly Waterford Marietta area and most of the listeners are also from that area it would a Pro Fort Frye station to begin with. So why would they have to cater to Berne Union fans in the first place. I didn't hear any Berne Union area business' advertising on that station.

Return to “Girls Basketball”