Athens Bulldogs 2020-21

Bulldog84
All Conference

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2020-21

Post by Bulldog84 »

Marauders19 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:37 pm Bulldog your always bashing Coach Bentley of Vinton County maybe you get him to switch or maybe yet coach Burdette never got the eastern job maybe you get him . The bottom line is your not going to get a elite coach with your non competitive atmosphere.. Elite coaches will not be interested you need a young hunger coach that is interested but the culture at Athens is not a competitive environment
I would gladly take Coach Burdette, you make it happen!

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
Bug iis
Waterboy

Post by Bug iis »

I have been watching this thread for some time now and have not commented until now. Bulldog, I don't know if you are an unhappy parent or not and really I don't care but here is the reality. You have talked about a good junior class and maybe they won some biddy championships or even junior high championships but that does not always translate to good high school teams. I saw them twice last year and didn't notice any standout sophomores. Players are made in the off-season and unfortunately, most teams didn't have that opportunity this summer. You keep talking bad against the coaches and I can honestly say I have never seen one coach miss a shot in a high school game. The players shoot the shots and handle and pass the basketball. As far as the disinterested part, you don't play hard for the coach...you play hard for your teammates. As far as Coach Bentley goes...you know what you are going to get. His kids play hard. Maybe he presses a little too far into games for my taste, but like I said, you know what's coming. Don't mean to offend anyone but just tired of seeing people bashing coaches on here. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Bug iis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am I have been watching this thread for some time now and have not commented until now. Bulldog, I don't know if you are an unhappy parent or not and really I don't care but here is the reality. You have talked about a good junior class and maybe they won some biddy championships or even junior high championships but that does not always translate to good high school teams. I saw them twice last year and didn't notice any standout sophomores. Players are made in the off-season and unfortunately, most teams didn't have that opportunity this summer. You keep talking bad against the coaches and I can honestly say I have never seen one coach miss a shot in a high school game. The players shoot the shots and handle and pass the basketball. As far as the disinterested part, you don't play hard for the coach...you play hard for your teammates. As far as Coach Bentley goes...you know what you are going to get. His kids play hard. Maybe he presses a little too far into games for my taste, but like I said, you know what's coming. Don't mean to offend anyone but just tired of seeing people bashing coaches on here. Good luck on the rest of your season.
I'm a little confused. You said, "...you don't play hard for the coach..." But then you said about coach Bentley, "his kids play hard." Also, "coaches don't shoot the shots," etc... Come on man, that's a cop out. "Players are made in the off season ..." Every team had the same circumstances last summer so that's moot. I agree Bulldog84 is clearly an either an angry parent or more likely had a buddy, maybe even himself, who wanted the job and didn't get it. But I can't agree with much else of what you said other than that Bentley runs the score up and his kids play hard. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Bug iis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am I have been watching this thread for some time now and have not commented until now. Bulldog, I don't know if you are an unhappy parent or not and really I don't care but here is the reality. You have talked about a good junior class and maybe they won some biddy championships or even junior high championships but that does not always translate to good high school teams. I saw them twice last year and didn't notice any standout sophomores. Players are made in the off-season and unfortunately, most teams didn't have that opportunity this summer. You keep talking bad against the coaches and I can honestly say I have never seen one coach miss a shot in a high school game. The players shoot the shots and handle and pass the basketball. As far as the disinterested part, you don't play hard for the coach...you play hard for your teammates. As far as Coach Bentley goes...you know what you are going to get. His kids play hard. Maybe he presses a little too far into games for my taste, but like I said, you know what's coming. Don't mean to offend anyone but just tired of seeing people bashing coaches on here. Good luck on the rest of your season.
Say what you want, and you clearly have, but at any other level of sports when teams aren’t winning they fire the coach.

Bug iis
Waterboy

Post by Bug iis »

Ground Buck you must have missed the part about teammates playing hard for each other. My worst fear as a player was letting my teammates down not my coach. Not every team played by the same rules. Some high school teams went to some big AAU tourneys and competed together all summer long...not the same. Ours wasn't one of those and apparently neither was yours. I wish I could have shot some of the shots my kids got back when I played. Bulldog84 if you fire every coach that doesn't win every year, you will never produce a winner. It takes time for a coach to build a system and evaluate the talent he has. Very few get that done in one season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I mean Ryan Adams went 1-9 his first year and was 1-9 the year before. Wayne Horsley went 6-16 his first year. The year before Athens was 3-18. Hopefully Athens can rebound. They have 4 district titles and 15 years of 15 or more wins. Athens also has 15 district appearances

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Bug iis wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:03 pm Ground Buck you must have missed the part about teammates playing hard for each other. My worst fear as a player was letting my teammates down not my coach. Not every team played by the same rules. Some high school teams went to some big AAU tourneys and competed together all summer long...not the same. Ours wasn't one of those and apparently neither was yours. I wish I could have shot some of the shots my kids got back when I played. Bulldog84 if you fire every coach that doesn't win every year, you will never produce a winner. It takes time for a coach to build a system and evaluate the talent he has. Very few get that done in one season.
You said you can expect Bentley's kids to always play hard. So, are you insinuating that all of his players play hard for each other. If so, WOW he is lucky to have players like that. Also, in your original post you said, "most teams didn't have that opportunity this summer." But then you said, Some high school teams went to some big AAU tourneys and competed together all summer long," so obviously any team could have done that, but some chose not to. So it wasn't an "opportunity" issue. At any rate, it seems by your posts that you credit luck and opportunity for success and those that don't have are just going to lose and it's out of their control. I have to disagree with that. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Bulldog84 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:44 pm
Say what you want, and you clearly have, but at any other level of sports when teams aren’t winning they fire the coach.
The Athens girls have been bad for several years. You can't fire a coach after one season. It will take 3 just to get things moving in the right direction.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:35 pm
The Athens girls have been bad for several years. You can't fire a coach after one season. It will take 3 just to get things moving in the right direction.
You know absolutely nothing about the game of basketball so I’m glad no one will be listening to your opinion.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

You can fire a coach after one year. Its a one year contract that all coaches in Ohio have.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Fletchlives wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 pm You can fire a coach after one year. Its a one year contract that all coaches in Ohio have.
Obviously you can. Thanks captain obvious. My point is that it's going to take a few years to see any improvement from the program. Hiring a coach and then firing him after one season isn't going to help in a rebuild.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Bulldog84 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:42 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:35 pm

You know absolutely nothing about the game of basketball so I’m glad no one will be listening to your opinion.
You sure told me...
Get over yourself.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:35 pm The Athens girls have been bad for several years. You can't fire a coach after one season. It will take 3 just to get things moving in the right direction.
Still have 4 more district titles than Vinton County :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:35 pm The Athens girls have been bad for several years. You can't fire a coach after one season. It will take 3 just to get things moving in the right direction.
Still have 4 more district titles than Vinton County :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Bulldog here is my point I think that both Athens and meigsI have a chance to be back on top within the next couple years here’s what I’m saying when Vinton County graduates Morgan Bentley they will drop off considerably. I’m hearing from multiple people that Coach Bentley will be coaching boys somewhere next year. This leaves Alaxander and Vinton still on top but after that Athens us and Nelsoville the top three.. vinton county and Alaxander have two more years of success then the door will be completely open... good coaching and building a program takes patience I’m excited about our chances real soon Bulldog.I think Patience is the key for both of our programs right now

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Marauders19 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 pm Bulldog here is my point I think that both Athens and meigsI have a chance to be back on top within the next couple years here’s what I’m saying when Vinton County graduates Morgan Bentley they will drop off considerably. I’m hearing from multiple people that Coach Bentley will be coaching boys somewhere next year. This leaves Alaxander and Vinton still on top but after that Athens us and Nelsoville the top three.. vinton county and Alaxander have two more years of success then the door will be completely open... good coaching and building a program takes patience I’m excited about our chances real soon Bulldog.I think Patience is the key for both of our programs right now
Bentley will be coaching at VC again next year.

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Marauders19 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 pm Bulldog here is my point I think that both Athens and meigsI have a chance to be back on top within the next couple years here’s what I’m saying when Vinton County graduates Morgan Bentley they will drop off considerably. I’m hearing from multiple people that Coach Bentley will be coaching boys somewhere next year. This leaves Alaxander and Vinton still on top but after that Athens us and Nelsoville the top three.. vinton county and Alaxander have two more years of success then the door will be completely open... good coaching and building a program takes patience I’m excited about our chances real soon Bulldog.I think Patience is the key for both of our programs right now
I hope you’re right but right now I just don’t see it. I guess only time will tell.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Its not always the coach--- you got to have some talent-- and you have to have kids willing to work on improving their skills---not just when basketball season rolls around-------but once you start winning--kids want to play--funny how that works. I like where the VC girls program is going---but we are lucky to have a good coach and some kids that what to play and improve. :geek:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm I mean Ryan Adams went 1-9 his first year and was 1-9 the year before. Wayne Horsley went 6-16 his first year. The year before Athens was 3-18. Hopefully Athens can rebound. They have 4 district titles and 15 years of 15 or more wins. Athens also has 15 district appearances
Athens was 2-19 the year before I took over. Beat a winless Portsmouth and a winless Groveport. Went 6-15, 9-11, 11-9 my first 3 years, showed a great deal of improvement in each year.

It’s a process, and to have parents and such come on to a public forum and tear down programs and not provide support is productive how?

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:18 am
Raider6309 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm I mean Ryan Adams went 1-9 his first year and was 1-9 the year before. Wayne Horsley went 6-16 his first year. The year before Athens was 3-18. Hopefully Athens can rebound. They have 4 district titles and 15 years of 15 or more wins. Athens also has 15 district appearances
Athens was 2-19 the year before I took over. Beat a winless Portsmouth and a winless Groveport. Went 6-15, 9-11, 11-9 my first 3 years, showed a great deal of improvement in each year.

It’s a process, and to have parents and such come on to a public forum and tear down programs and not provide support is productive how?
No one is trying to tear down programs. I just get on here and post facts, and the fact is, Athens will struggle to field a team next year if current coach gets new contract. Hide and watch!

Return to “Girls Basketball”