Vinton County

bman
SEO

Re: Vinton County

Post by bman »

Sheridan is the best team in SE Ohio.

And I posted a couple weeks before Vinton played Dublin Coffman, and complimented them on picking up that tough game because it will make them better long term.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Dundas wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:41 pm VC plays a D1 power close and beats probably the best team in SEO (Fort Frye) and all is quiet. Lol where did the haters go?
Good win over ff. Need to do something in the tourney this year or it's all for nothing

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Hope for the best

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Wow!!! Your beloved coach got another technical tonight while up by 40 versus Wellston. Coach Bentley is absolutely pathetic if the referees 100 % don’t go his way he throws a temper tantrum like no one else not good for high school sports. Coach combs his athletic director/boys basketball coach should discipline him but will not because Coach Bentley has talented sons coming and combs will benefit. Vinton County is king of good ol boys state champs!!! Technical twice this year up 40 .. crap is not the word!

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Marauders19 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm Wow!!! Your beloved coach got another technical tonight while up by 40 versus Wellston. Coach Bentley is absolutely pathetic if the referees 100 % don’t go his way he throws a temper tantrum like no one else not good for high school sports. Coach combs his athletic director/boys basketball coach should discipline him but will not because Coach Bentley has talented sons coming and combs will benefit. Vinton County is king of good ol boys state champs!!! Technical twice this year up 40 .. crap is not the word!
You need to make up your mind, because not to long ago you were on here defending Bentley.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Marauders19 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm Wow!!! Your beloved coach got another technical tonight while up by 40 versus Wellston. Coach Bentley is absolutely pathetic if the referees 100 % don’t go his way he throws a temper tantrum like no one else not good for high school sports. Coach combs his athletic director/boys basketball coach should discipline him but will not because Coach Bentley has talented sons coming and combs will benefit. Vinton County is king of good ol boys state champs!!! Technical twice this year up 40 .. crap is not the word!
You are so back and forth with him. Make up your mind already. Should worry more about meigs

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

"Good ol boys state champs" What does that even mean?? :lol:

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

He is one of the few coaches- that never stop pushing his kids to keep playing--no matter the score--maybe thats why they are so good and the program is on the rise? Maybe a few other coaches should try this--just saying maybe.....

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm He is one of the few coaches- that never stop pushing his kids to keep playing--no matter the score--maybe thats why they are so good and the program is on the rise? Maybe a few other coaches should try this--just saying maybe.....
He is good because he has a group of girls that have been playing AAU ball for years. Those girls put the work in, it has nothing to do with anything that Bentley has done.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Sorry--why do you think they played in AAU? because of him--why to the play hard? Because of him. I said before --you have to have a coach and players wanting the same thing---play hard and win. :D

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

He would never last if he was an Athens coach---no girls and people wanting him to coach different. Thats why you have so much turnover in coaching.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:31 pm Sorry--why do you think they played in AAU? because of him--why to the play hard? Because of him. I said before --you have to have a coach and players wanting the same thing---play hard and win. :D
They were playing aau ball before Bentley had them. Some of them wasn't even in the district in 6th or 7th grade. The reason they ended up at vc was because of aau. They played on some of the same teams and decided to play at vc. That's why when you watch them it looks like an aau game, run and gun and not alot of sets. That works ok in the regular season but come tourney time it can be tough. Will be interesting to see how far they go. I think the window is closing fast. Once morgan graduates it will be tough going for vc. Not in the league of course, but tourney wise

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Why wouldn't he just go get more girls from AAU? If it is that easy?

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:48 pm Why wouldn't he just go get more girls from AAU? If it is that easy?
Well his youngest daughter is in hs i believe. So transfer rules are different once you reach hs and her aau teammates would already have decided where they are going. Will be interesting to see where his boys end up going to school.

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Coach Bentley has turned the Vinton County program completely around the old fashioned way-through hard work, discipline, fundamentals and scouting (which few are better at). No one will ever outwork him but I guess some people see that as a flaw. Hard work pays off and his girls and he have proven that. In the summers, they go to numerous camps and they have traveled one to two nights a week to play in the Newark summer league to play against the Newarks, the Zanesvilles, etc.

I read stuff about new players coming into the system during his tenure. There have been four-three of them are his daughters who happen to live in the same household as him, live in Vinton County, attend the only high school in the County and play on his team-not sure what he can do about that since they are his flesh and blood. One played on his daughters' AAU team as a kid and moved to Vinton County as a sophomore from a Logan team that was changing head coaches each year it seems like and several of the Logan players transferred to Newark, Berne Union and one to Vinton County. Unlike what another poster said, all of the girls but her are and have been from the Vinton County School District going to school here and playing in Vinton County the whole time since around second grade in their youth program. Coach Bentley has coached AAU and encourages all his girls to play on AAU teams in the summer-nothing wrong with that. He has developed this team.

As for technical fouls, I believe that he has had two in five years. Not sure many coaches have had that few technical fouls. Not sure what he got the two technicals for but as someone said he pushes his subs when they are in like his starters and never loses his intensity, maybe that's why I don't know.

The TVC-Ohio has been very, very good in woman's basketball the past few years. Coach Grinstead and Cassidy are very, very good coaches to name a few and have had very good seasons year after year. Meigs had a wonderful team a few years ago and has a great player playing for them now. Teams in the TVC-Ohio change coaches a lot. I am not sure but Bentley may be the longest tenured girls coach in the TVC-Ohio. Maybe that says something as he has had time to build his system and develop his players unlike some of the other schools that change head coaches regularly. Like with Coach Combs (the Dean of the Coaches in the TVC-Ohio on the boys side), Vinton County has been blessed with long-term head coaches which has paid great dividends and led to the success of their teams.

Unfortunately, in southeastern Ohio, you are seeing an alarming number of schools not having enough girls to field a JV team or they only have enough to play two quarters. That is not the case in Vinton County as Coach Bentley has a full squad of twelve girls coached by one of the best assistants in southeast Ohio, Brett Jones. The VC JV team regularly practices with the varsity, runs the same offense and does the same drills with them. On several occasions, Coach Bentley has called up a JV player and played one or more of said JV players significant minutes in big varsity games when said JV player may have a skillset suited for a particular team they are playing, for example to guard a player, to rebound, to add size, etc. Again, he works his system and knows his players and what they can do top to bottom grades two and up.

Coach Bentley works very hard to win league titles and hopefully this year he can get a District title. He, as I posted a while back, plays a very difficult schedule every year, and will not duck competition in the pursuit of getting better. For example, this year Dublin-Coffman, Wheelersburg, Fort Frye, Warren, Alexander twice, Berne Union in the pre-season, playing Newark last year, etc. all teams that were ranked at one time or another this year and/or last. His girls have a remarkable team GPA and have had several valedictorians on it. He has sent three on to play in college and has one commit in his daughter Morgan this year. Several have gone on to play or will go on to play other college sports as well.
Last edited by boy of summer on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go VC

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

boy of summer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:36 pm

As for technical fouls, I believe that he has had two in five years. Not sure many coaches have had that few technical fouls. Not sure what he got the two technicals for but as someone said he pushes his subs when they are in like his starters and never loses his intensity, maybe that's why I don't know.

So he's never been T'd up before this season? He has at least two this year based on posts that I've read. I'm not saying being T'd up is a bad thing, but it's a little tasteless when up 40.

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

boy of summer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:36 pm Coach Bentley has turned the Vinton County program completely around the old fashioned way-through hard work, discipline, fundamentals and scouting (which few are better at). No one will ever outwork him but I guess some people see that as a flaw. Hard work pays off and his girls and he have proven that. In the summers, they go to numerous camps and they have traveled one to two nights a week to play in the Newark summer league to play against the Newarks, the Zanesvilles, etc.

I read stuff about new players coming into the system during his tenure. There have been four-three of them are his daughters who happen to live in the same household as him, live in Vinton County, attend the only high school in the County and play on his team-not sure what he can do about that since they are his flesh and blood. One played on his daughters' AAU team as a kid and moved to Vinton County as a sophomore from a Logan team that was changing head coaches each year it seems like and several of the Logan players transferred to Newark, Berne Union and one to Vinton County. Unlike what another poster said, all of the girls but her are and have been from the Vinton County School District going to school here and playing in Vinton County the whole time since around second grade in their youth program. Coach Bentley has coached AAU and encourages all his girls to play on AAU teams in the summer-nothing wrong with that. He has developed this team.

The TVC-Ohio has been very, very good in woman's basketball the past few years. Coach Grinstead and Cassidy are very, very good coaches to name a few and have had very good seasons year after year. Meigs had a wonderful team a few years ago and has a great player playing for them now. Teams in the TVC-Ohio change coaches a lot. I am not sure but Bentley may be the longest tenured girls coach in the TVC-Ohio. Maybe that says something as he has had time to build his system and develop his players unlike some of the other schools that change head coaches regularly. Like with Coach Combs (the Dean of the Coaches in the TVC-Ohio on the boys side), Vinton County has been blessed with long-term head coaches which has paid great dividends and led to the success of their teams.

Unfortunately, in southeastern Ohio, you are seeing an alarming number of schools not having enough girls to field a JV team or they only have enough to play two quarters. That is not the case in Vinton County as Coach Bentley has a full squad of twelve girls coached by one of the best assistants in southeast Ohio, Brett Jones. The VC JV team regularly practices with the varsity, runs the same offense and does the same drills with them. On several occasions, Coach Bentley has called up a JV player and played one or more of said JV players significant minutes in big varsity games when said JV player may have a skillset suited for a particular team they are playing, for example to guard a player, to rebound, to add size, etc. Again, he works his system and knows his players and what they can do top to bottom grades two and up.

Coach Bentley works very hard to win league titles and hopefully this year he can get a District title. He, as I posted a while back, plays a very difficult schedule every year, and will not duck competition in the pursuit of getting better. For example, this year Dublin-Coffman, Wheelersburg, Fort Frye, Warren, Alexander twice, Berne Union in the pre-season, playing Newark last year, etc. all teams that were ranked at one time or another this year and/or last. His girls have a remarkable team GPA and have had several valedictorians on it. He has sent three on to play in college and has one commit in his daughter Morgan this year. Several have gone on to play or will go on to play other college sports as well.
Listen, you are acting like he created these girls and that he is responsible for all of their successes. It quite simply isn’t true. I will give him credit for being a good coach but I know a ton of good coaches. Over the years I have met the parents of several VC girls, all great folks. These parents are the true hero’s in all of this. The give every single second of their time for these girls, so they can play b-ball every single day. And as far as the girls grades go, give me a break. The coach has nothing to do with their grades, sure he want them to have good grades but he needs them on the court. These girls work their butts off in the classroom because their parents push them and they themselves want to be productive in life. You can put Bentley on a pedestal if you want but maybe you should give credit to the parents and the girls. After all, they are the ones that put the work in!

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

Bulldog84 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:04 am
boy of summer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:36 pm Coach Bentley has turned the Vinton County program completely around the old fashioned way-through hard work, discipline, fundamentals and scouting (which few are better at). No one will ever outwork him but I guess some people see that as a flaw. Hard work pays off and his girls and he have proven that. In the summers, they go to numerous camps and they have traveled one to two nights a week to play in the Newark summer league to play against the Newarks, the Zanesvilles, etc.

Listen, you are acting like he created these girls and that he is responsible for all of their successes. It quite simply isn’t true. I will give him credit for being a good coach but I know a ton of good coaches. Over the years I have met the parents of several VC girls, all great folks. These parents are the true hero’s in all of this. The give every single second of their time for these girls, so they can play b-ball every single day. And as far as the girls grades go, give me a break. The coach has nothing to do with their grades, sure he want them to have good grades but he needs them on the court. These girls work their butts off in the classroom because their parents push them and they themselves want to be productive in life. You can put Bentley on a pedestal if you want but maybe you should give credit to the parents and the girls. After all, they are the ones that put the work in!
Way to backtrack lol

OHball03
Waterboy

Post by OHball03 »

Bulldog84 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:04 am

Wait wait.... Bentley has a daughter actually a couple that has been through VC program if I am right. I am sure they are not failing students and he has to push them as well at home about their grades....Bulldog i have noticed in several instances where you seem either jealousl of coach bentley and his success or just a vinton county hater?????

Return to “Girls Basketball”