Girls High School Travel Basketball Thoughts?

Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Girls High School Travel Basketball Thoughts?

Post by Bengalsrule »

What's everyone's thoughts on what a travel team should deliver to their customers? Winning, playing time or something else? The local travel teams i've seen here I've not been able to tell what they are trying to deliver. I appreciate the efforts but just question what they are trying to do.
Last edited by Bengalsrule on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Re: Girls High School Travel Basketball Thoughts?

Post by Fletchlives »

The term "clients" sums it up. AAU is no longer an opportunity for kids to get better its all about making money for whos running it.

Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Post by Bengalsrule »

I would have to agree. One team based in Waverly charges 400.00. One team based in Portsmouth charges 800.00. One team based out of Chillicothe charges kids to tryout. My question is why the price discrepancy and what are they trying to provide? My daughter is in middle school and it was maddening trying to find a team. We just decided to take the money we would have spent traveling and invested in a personal trainer. Seemed like the best option at the time. Her jh coach wants her to start traveling next yr. Just trying to figure out what team would be best for her.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Maybe the Junior high coach should chip in on the team fees if he wants her to play travel. I have family who have played travel ball and received personal trainer/instruction. They said they benefited more from the latter when it came to development and skill building.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Parents should take the Money they spend on Travel teams for their kids and put it in a 529 College Plan. This includes travel costs and all money. So I figure at least $2000 a year for 5-6 years, good start to College if you ask me. Majority of these players will not play College ball in my opinion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 pm Parents should take the Money they spend on Travel teams for their kids and put it in a 529 College Plan. This includes travel costs and all money. So I figure at least $2000 a year for 5-6 years, good start to College if you ask me. Majority of these players will not play College ball in my opinion.
And if they do….is it for themselves? Will that NAIA/D3/D2 school going to offer the educational path they may be looking into?

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Bengalsrule wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm I would have to agree. One team based in Waverly charges 400.00. One team based in Portsmouth charges 800.00. One team based out of Chillicothe charges kids to tryout. My question is why the price discrepancy and what are they trying to provide? My daughter is in middle school and it was maddening trying to find a team. We just decided to take the money we would have spent traveling and invested in a personal trainer. Seemed like the best option at the time. Her jh coach wants her to start traveling next yr. Just trying to figure out what team would be best for her.
The team in Waverly I believe you are referring to is the Arctic Rush, which I have heard runs in the red every year and is a players first organization. There is not money made by who runs it. A parent of a young lady who is apart of this organization even told me the coach drives hours a week just to provide a central practice location for all of his athletes. Travel ball is not always about college scholarships, it is often about player development, there are levels to this. There is a developmental level and exposure level based on the goals and abilities of the athlete in my opinion. For example, the Buckeye Prep hosted several teams a couple months back, and lets be honest, that was not an event about college exposure, however with social media and video, someone that knows someone is ALWAYS watching. When selecting a team, a parent just needs to gather all the information, talk to people, the organization and make the best informed decision based on what they are looking for.

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Taylor »

Personally, I think the OHSAA should ban all of this nonsense. I know they won't because they don't want to lose any "clients" either but the motives are all for financial gain and not whats' best for the student athletes. These kids need time off, but they get pressured by coaches and their own parents to play year round just so they can stay up with the competition. I don't even think it provides an advantage anymore because everyone does it. So, as said above it's not going to get little sally a full ride unless she is already one of the top players because all the other players are doing the same thing. Shut it down and let the kids have a life is what I say. Now, let the bashing commence... :mrgreen:

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Chuck Taylor wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:38 pm Personally, I think the OHSAA should ban all of this nonsense. I know they won't because they don't want to lose any "clients" either but the motives are all for financial gain and not whats' best for the student athletes. These kids need time off, but they get pressured by coaches and their own parents to play year round just so they can stay up with the competition. I don't even think it provides an advantage anymore because everyone does it. So, as said above it's not going to get little sally a full ride unless she is already one of the top players because all the other players are doing the same thing. Shut it down and let the kids have a life is what I say. Now, let the bashing commence... :mrgreen:
Not every organization is all for financial gain.

Bengalsrule
Waterboy

Post by Bengalsrule »

I'm new to this. My daughter has only played biddy lg and jh sports. I see things posted about different subjects here and just wanted to use this to help me make a decision on if this was a worthwhile venture. The biggest question I have is why does the pricing seem to be so varied between the teams. I am skeptical that organizations aren't in it to make some amount of money. I've gotten some pm's telling me that the teams usually have dads coaching them and it is mostly for their kids to look good. Can anyone explain the range of pricing and is it mostly dads coaching?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Bengalsrule wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm I'm new to this. My daughter has only played biddy lg and jh sports. I see things posted about different subjects here and just wanted to use this to help me make a decision on if this was a worthwhile venture. The biggest question I have is why does the pricing seem to be so varied between the teams. I am skeptical that organizations aren't in it to make some amount of money. I've gotten some pm's telling me that the teams usually have dads coaching them and it is mostly for their kids to look good. Can anyone explain the range of pricing and is it mostly dads coaching?
Check your direct messages.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Chuck Taylor wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:38 pm Personally, I think the OHSAA should ban all of this nonsense. I know they won't because they don't want to lose any "clients" either but the motives are all for financial gain and not whats' best for the student athletes. These kids need time off, but they get pressured by coaches and their own parents to play year round just so they can stay up with the competition. I don't even think it provides an advantage anymore because everyone does it. So, as said above it's not going to get little sally a full ride unless she is already one of the top players because all the other players are doing the same thing. Shut it down and let the kids have a life is what I say. Now, let the bashing commence... :mrgreen:
The OHSAA could not ban these things if they wanted too.

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Taylor »

Pol pot wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:38 pm
They could ban players from playing in them. That would essentially shut them down.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Chuck Taylor wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:33 pm
They could ban players from playing in them. That would essentially shut them down.
More like shut down the OHSAA. If you think the OHSAA would live without allowing athletes to play in travel ball, AAU, etc, you are not aware of the current climate of athletics.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

SWJeeps22 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:36 am
Chuck Taylor wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:33 pm

More like shut down the OHSAA. If you think the OHSAA would live without allowing athletes to play in travel ball, AAU, etc, you are not aware of the current climate of athletics.
Exactly! Not just the OHSAA but every HS Association in the US.

Big Rock
Waterboy

Post by Big Rock »

Bengalsrule wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm I'm new to this. My daughter has only played biddy lg and jh sports. I see things posted about different subjects here and just wanted to use this to help me make a decision on if this was a worthwhile venture. The biggest question I have is why does the pricing seem to be so varied between the teams. I am skeptical that organizations aren't in it to make some amount of money. I've gotten some pm's telling me that the teams usually have dads coaching them and it is mostly for their kids to look good. Can anyone explain the range of pricing and is it mostly dads coaching?
If you daughter loves basketball do it! As far as college goes I have a daughter that got a 95% ride to a D2 school. Between her and her younger sisters we have been part of 4 AAU type organizations. Here is what I have learned.
The experience for the family can be worth the price if everyone enjoys it, if it's strictly an investment for college you're looking at it wrong.

People matter - you'll not really know the other families until situations arise that reveal character but you can get a pretty good idea by a conversation at tryouts find people on other teams in the organization to ask. Your daughter can make some great connections with girls of similar interest.

The price difference.....Can be a lot of factors. Different tournament have a range of entry fees from $200-800. Are uniforms included? Do coaches get travel reimbursement, paid or volunteer, does the organization have to pay for gym space or do they have an in at a school? Lots of legit reasons for different prices.

Dads coaching is not the end of the world - depends on the dad, his angle and if there is a way to keep them accountable.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

AAU and travel ball has turned into a huge waste of time and money

Return to “Girls Basketball”