Player of the year

transplant
SE

Re: Player of the year

Post by transplant »

if Bayse has won the last 2, and still playing at a high level, id say its hers until someone else knocks her off.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

BigCatBuck wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:16 pm Who would be your player of the year:
Player 1: Shooting guard. Can score from anywhere. 23 points per game on 24 shots, 1 steal, 1 assist, 4 TO, 4 rebounds, gives up 12 points on defense
Player 2: Point guard. 10 points per game on 5 shots, 4 steals, 7 assists, 7 rebounds, and holds player 1 to 6 points, others do not score except an occasional foul shot.
Player 3: Shooting guard. Record breaking 3 baller. 24 points per game on 12 shots , 0 steals, 1 assist, 2 TO, 2 rebounds, gives up 8 points on defense
Player 4: Post. 12 points per game, 12 rebounds per game. 2 blocks per game, limits opposition to 1 shot most times.

Rank your choice. No easy outs with I'd take them all. Your player of the year is...
It depends a lot of what the team's records are and if each of them makes the others around them better. Numbers matter, but making the team better is way more important. I would pick #3 or 4, but depending on who was on the better TEAM would make the decision for me.

BigCatBuck
Waterboy

Post by BigCatBuck »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:20 am
BigCatBuck wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:16 pm Who would be your player of the year:
Player 1: Shooting guard. Can score from anywhere. 23 points per game on 24 shots, 1 steal, 1 assist, 4 TO, 4 rebounds, gives up 12 points on defense
Player 2: Point guard. 10 points per game on 5 shots, 4 steals, 7 assists, 7 rebounds, and holds player 1 to 6 points, others do not score except an occasional foul shot.
Player 3: Shooting guard. Record breaking 3 baller. 24 points per game on 12 shots , 0 steals, 1 assist, 2 TO, 2 rebounds, gives up 8 points on defense
Player 4: Post. 12 points per game, 12 rebounds per game. 2 blocks per game, limits opposition to 1 shot most times.

Rank your choice. No easy outs with I'd take them all. Your player of the year is...
Good question. POY has a lot of different dynamics. I think it starts with points. If it went off rebounds, steals, assists, etc you would see more players trying to lead those stats specifically. To me, stats tell a lot, but also who played the best in the biggest games. Who is a good teammate, a leader in the locker room, has a good attitude, team goals first, whatever it takes for the team to win, unselfish. For example if player one has 20 points, but is selfish, bad body language when they aren't scoring, not engaged, but player two has 18 points a game and hustles non stop, always plays hard, easy to coach. Id say player two hands down.
Playing a game is about winning. POY shouldn't be about points only. Certainly points are a big part of a game. But like you said, I'll take that player that does whatever it takes to win, unselfish. At least half of that work comes on the defensive side of the floor. Official POY typically comes down to points. Shame.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

BigCatBuck wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:46 am
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:20 am

Good question. POY has a lot of different dynamics. I think it starts with points. If it went off rebounds, steals, assists, etc you would see more players trying to lead those stats specifically. To me, stats tell a lot, but also who played the best in the biggest games. Who is a good teammate, a leader in the locker room, has a good attitude, team goals first, whatever it takes for the team to win, unselfish. For example if player one has 20 points, but is selfish, bad body language when they aren't scoring, not engaged, but player two has 18 points a game and hustles non stop, always plays hard, easy to coach. Id say player two hands down.
Playing a game is about winning. POY shouldn't be about points only. Certainly points are a big part of a game. But like you said, I'll take that player that does whatever it takes to win, unselfish. At least half of that work comes on the defensive side of the floor. Official POY typically comes down to points. Shame.
Agree. It is a shame. Most people look just at scoring. Yes a player might get 25 points a game, which is good for their team. But how many shots does it take to get that 25, that could hurt their team. Shooters shoot, but POY does everything, including scoring.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

If I am not mistaken Huntington and Adena close out the season. So will get to see Bayse and Garrison close it out. But, watching Bayse close out Unioto with 38 points and 18 rebounds, then follow that up with a closeout over Paint Valley with 40 points and 22 rebounds, I am not sure how Bayse loses the award.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

soggybottomtopper wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 pm If I am not mistaken Huntington and Adena close out the season. So will get to see Bayse and Garrison close it out. But, watching Bayse close out Unioto with 38 points and 18 rebounds, then follow that up with a closeout over Paint Valley with 40 points and 22 rebounds, I am not sure how Bayse loses the award.
Agree. Something else to consider, Bayse gets double teamed, maybe triple teamed, box and 1, every game and is currently 5th on the all time scoring list...
No other player draws as much attention on offense as her.

60ft
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft »

I guess that’s Why Huntington hasn’t one a league title for awhile. Garrisons will have two in her first two years. She would rather win instead of breaking records. If garrisons shot 25+ times a game. She would average 25+. Garrisons and Bayse is to complete ball players. Both girls are super. Huntington and Adena might meet up two more times. Last game of the season and second round of the tournament. Good luck both girls and team rest of the season

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

If I'm not mistaken, the coaches vote for POY in their conference and I have never seen field goal attempts posted by any coach when nominating a player. So, while it is an important stat, it's usually not put out there for people to see.

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

I've seen Bayse and Garrison and handful of times each....Bayse is on another level.

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Tvc player of year should be Mallory… so many coaches make the mistake on voting the MVP for the best team that does not always mean the best player. Vinton County has had the most valuable player in this league for the last 3 or 4 years and probably Bartoe this year also from Vinton County.. League mvp should go to the best player not the best team

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Marauders19 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:11 pm Tvc player of year should be Mallory… so many coaches make the mistake on voting the MVP for the best team that does not always mean the best player. Vinton County has had the most valuable player in this league for the last 3 or 4 years and probably Bartoe this year also from Vinton County.. League mvp should go to the best player not the best team
Ok. So who do you think will win it? Not shoulda, coulda, woulda.
Who will win TVC Ohio Player of the Year? Once and for all, who you got?

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Mallory/Bartoe co mvp

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Marauders19 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:25 pm Mallory/Bartoe co mvp
Didn't Mallory get outplayed last night? How many turnovers did she have? Or how many bad passes? She had 20 points Alex girl had 36

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

So is it player of the year? Or player of the game?

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

transplant wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 am So is it player of the year? Or player of the game?
If you are the best player in the league' play like the best when you go up against strong teams in the league which she doesn't

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, I was just going off the one example you gave.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Just wanted to give a shout out to Bayse for dropping her 2,000th point. Quite an accomplishment! Congrats!

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Huntington travels to Adena tonight. Big one in the SVC. Adena can win the league outright with a win and the POY head to head with Bayse and Garrison all on tap in Frankfort. Should be fun to watch. Then add that they could meet again next week for a sectional title. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Good luck tonight ladies!

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Bayse showed why she is player of the year tonight. Wow. She's special.

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Good player if she played in the Tvc she would definitely be in our top 5.

Return to “Girls Basketball”