Portsmouth lady Trojans

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth lady Trojans

Post by trojandave »

What a game by the Lady Trojans last night!! Portsmouth started out fast with a big lead and expanded it to as many as 30 points vs. a good Adena team that was seeded higher than PHS. The Trojans' defense early set the tone, creating turnovers which led to quick buckets. Savannah Cantrell played one of her best offensive games of the season, knocking down 3 trifectas in the 1st half. Sienna Allen and Daysha Reid led the fast breaks down the court, and the Warriors had a hard time keeping up with their speed. Reid also hit a couple from behind the arc, while Allen and Cantrell had several blocked shots.

PHS led 35-24 at the half, and the final was 61-34. Despite having only 6 players available, it didn't faze Portsmouth one bit. All 6 players contributed to the win, playing their roles well. The Trojan student section was the best I've seen all season, girls or boys games. Hopefully they'll repeat that in Waverly on Saturday.

The Lady Trojans advance to play Portsmouth West on Saturday at 3 PM at Waverly HS. PW beat a good Minford team by 20 points. West features a senior heavy team that is the SOC II Champions. PHS will be playing in the first district championship game for either boys or girls since 2015, when the boys beat Chesapeake at the Convo.

What's exciting about the Lady Trojans' program is where it's headed for the next several years. This year's Trojans playing for a district title after winning the 1st sectional since 2005, and coming right behind them is a JH team that has won the OVC 2 years in a row while going undefeated. With everybody back on the varsity for next season, and combined with the incoming freshmen, the Trojans should be a serious contender to make the Final 4, and just maybe bring home a state title at some point. That's a high bar to reach, but these girls have shown they have the work ethic and the desire to be great. Coaches Amy Hughes and Mike Hughes have built this program that is gaining a lot of buzz around the Portsmouth community.

GO TROJANS!! Bring home that 1st district title for either girls or boys since 2015!!
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Very good team and should be fun to watch for at least the next few years. It was great to see all of their fan support last night as well.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Should be a great game Saturday in between the Lady Siders and Lady Trojans. Very underrated non conference rivalry here. Hope to see lots of fans and cheer the girls on to a victory . We are capable of a good run here, just need to stay focused.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

When was the last time Portsmouth won a district championship? I know they had some good teams in the mid/late 80's.They may mess around and win one this year.Best of luck to them!

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Black Panther wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:23 pm When was the last time Portsmouth won a district championship? I know they had some good teams in the mid/late 80's.They may mess around and win one this year.Best of luck to them!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:25 pm
Black Panther wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:23 pm When was the last time Portsmouth won a district championship? I know they had some good teams in the mid/late 80's.They may mess around and win one this year.Best of luck to them!
That's what I thought.Thanks!

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Played well enough to win today.Foul trouble hurt them badly.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

What a fantastic basketball game that was. Back and forth the entire second half after proem started off 9-0. I think depth and experience really hurt the Trojans. The intensity from the stands was about as good as it gets for a girls basketball game. The future is extreme right for the Trojans. I will say one thing negative though. I’ve read some incidents that took place earlier in the year with an 8th grade girl. How I seen her act on the bench tonight and a few other girls on the court is inexcusable. Some major adult guidance needs to be displayed, because that type of behavior will not be tolerated under any circumstances, at any level. That was a passionate rivalry game for a lot of stakes, but I could hear some things on the court and visitor sidelines that shouldn’t be tolerated. Great game and congrats lady Siders on our first ever girls basketball district championship.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:02 pm What a fantastic basketball game that was. Back and forth the entire second half after proem started off 9-0. I think depth and experience really hurt the Trojans. The intensity from the stands was about as good as it gets for a girls basketball game. The future is extreme right for the Trojans. I will say one thing negative though. I’ve read some incidents that took place earlier in the year with an 8th grade girl. How I seen her act on the bench tonight and a few other girls on the court is inexcusable. Some major adult guidance needs to be displayed, because that type of behavior will not be tolerated under any circumstances, at any level. That was a passionate rivalry game for a lot of stakes, but I could hear some things on the court and visitor sidelines that shouldn’t be tolerated. Great game and congrats lady Siders on our first ever girls basketball district championship.

I heard some racially motivated words coming from the other side. Think there needs to be some adult guidance done with those girls from the west side. It’s embarrassing honestly.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:40 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:02 pm What a fantastic basketball game that was. Back and forth the entire second half after proem started off 9-0. I think depth and experience really hurt the Trojans. The intensity from the stands was about as good as it gets for a girls basketball game. The future is extreme right for the Trojans. I will say one thing negative though. I’ve read some incidents that took place earlier in the year with an 8th grade girl. How I seen her act on the bench tonight and a few other girls on the court is inexcusable. Some major adult guidance needs to be displayed, because that type of behavior will not be tolerated under any circumstances, at any level. That was a passionate rivalry game for a lot of stakes, but I could hear some things on the court and visitor sidelines that shouldn’t be tolerated. Great game and congrats lady Siders on our first ever girls basketball district championship.

I heard some racially motivated words coming from the other side. Think there needs to be some adult guidance done with those girls from the west side. It’s embarrassing honestly.
Always the racial card lol. It’s funny how we have played several schools and that’s never a problem, but when fans and players act like idiots the race card is pulled. Unfortunately this seems to be a common theme with this school, you can only cry wolf so many times. I say right there in the middle and I can assure you I heard nothing that was said that involved race. I can assure you that it would also not be tolerated. Probably the most respectful group of girls I have ever seen on the west side also. So try again

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

As an unbiased observer I was very impressed with the Trojans. 6 players TOTAL - 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior.
A Freshman with 22 (7-8 from the line) - good size does it all.
Sophomore with 13 (three 3’s, 2 in the 4th)
Sophomore with 10 (all in the 1st quarter - three 3’s) great size, not sure why she never scored again.
The other 2 points was another freshman

One Trojan was 7-8 from the line. The rest of the team shot 4, making 1.
(West was 3-8 from the line first half and 5-12 second half for a total of 8-20)

This Trojan team has the potential to be very very good, and I hear they have another great player coming up next year.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 pm As an unbiased observer I was very impressed with the Trojans. 6 players TOTAL - 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior.
Sophomore with 10 (all in the 1st quarter - three 3’s) great size, not sure why she never scored again.

(West was 3-8 from the line first half and 5-12 second half for a total of 8-20)

This Trojan team has the potential to be very very good, and I hear they have another great player coming up next year.
Definitely. They probably deserved to win the game. We missed shots that we make all year. But it’s hard to rattle a senior laden team that has been around the block now. Portsmouth will be scary good in the coming years, but I hope they can fix the behavioral issues. I only seen what I seen tonight. It doesn’t sound like this is a rare sight.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ll ignore those two ridiculous posts, but as someone actually sitting on the floor, I saw nothing between the two teams. When Allen fouled out, West’s Deaver was giving her words of encouragement.

The difference in the game was experience. Once West made their comeback, the Trojans were clearly frustrated and showed it in their body language. They were able to right the ship and battle to the end, but that’s what you see when it’s 4 Senior starts vs 0 seniors at all

If those 8th grade girls are as good as advertised, I’ll say that Portsmouth makes at least one Final Four trip in the next 2-4 years. Today’s game will only make them better.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:02 pm I’ll ignore those two ridiculous posts, but as someone actually sitting on the floor, I saw nothing between the two teams. When Allen fouled out, West’s Deaver was giving her words of encouragement.

The difference in the game was experience. Once West made their comeback, the Trojans were clearly frustrated and showed it in their body language. They were able to right the ship and battle to the end, but that’s what you see when it’s 4 Senior starts vs 0 seniors at all

If those 8th grade girls are as good as advertised, I’ll say that Portsmouth makes at least one Final Four trip in the next 2-4 years. Today’s game will only make them better.
Absolutely….

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Great atmosphere at Waverly and absolutely great game to watch ,I'm not sure over ever heard a louder girls high school basketball game!

West has a great team and even though we lost we was in it to the end our girls put up a hell a fight against a senior loaded west squad,I have to admit I was a little worried about us starting 2 freshmen and two sophomore against them but our girls was having nothing of being intimidated, if we get a couple of the 50-50 balls and do better on the boards it might have been a different outcome.

Congratulations to west on the hard fought win.

And yes,the junior high team is as advertised,2 consecutive undefeated season hardly being challenged,big things in store for the program.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:08 pm Great atmosphere at Waverly and absolutely great game to watch ,I'm not sure over ever heard a louder girls high school basketball game!

West has a great team and even though we lost we was in it to the end our girls put up a hell a fight against a senior loaded west squad,I have to admit I was a little worried about us starting 2 freshmen and two sophomore against them but our girls was having nothing of being intimidated, if we get a couple of the 50-50 balls and do better on the boards it might have been a different outcome.

Congratulations to west on the hard fought win.

And yes,the junior high team is as advertised,2 consecutive undefeated season hardly being challenged,big things in store for the program.
I concur. That was the loudest girls game and maybe basketball game I have ever been apart of. Couldn’t ask for a better environment

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:19 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:40 pm

Always the racial card lol. It’s funny how we have played several schools and that’s never a problem, but when fans and players act like idiots the race card is pulled. Unfortunately this seems to be a common theme with this school, you can only cry wolf so many times. I say right there in the middle and I can assure you I heard nothing that was said that involved race. I can assure you that it would also not be tolerated. Probably the most respectful group of girls I have ever seen on the west side also. So try again
[/
Your spot on with your assessment of their actions at times. I have personally witnessed it at a jr high game earlier this year. But if you point it out they pull out the race card. It will come back to bite them in a big game in the future.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Don’t know or care about behavioral issues or race cards because at the end of the day it clearly didn’t have an effect on the outcome of this game. Great game it was. Both teams are really talented. Lack of depth and experience ultimately hurt the Trojans. Super proud of this season by the lady Trojans though. Next season should be another good one. Good luck to West as they continue on their journey.

Who Dey!
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:59 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:52 pm As an unbiased observer I was very impressed with the Trojans. 6 players TOTAL - 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior.

Definitely. They probably deserved to win the game. We missed shots that we make all year. But it’s hard to rattle a senior laden team that has been around the block now. Portsmouth will be scary good in the coming years, but I hope they can fix the behavioral issues. I only seen what I seen tonight. It doesn’t sound like this is a rare sight.
It’s not unusual and it goes all the way down into the jr high. But most phs fans want to ignore the real issue as long as there winning

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:27 am Don’t know or care about behavioral issues or race cards because at the end of the day it clearly didn’t have an effect on the outcome of this game. Great game it was. Both teams are really talented. Lack of depth and experience ultimately hurt the Trojans. Super proud of this season by the lady Trojans though. Next season should be another good one. Good luck to West as they continue on their journey.

What hurt Portsmouth was rebounding and not getting to the 50/50 balls , have to get after every lose ball especially in close games against great teams like west ,I will be rooting for west in the next game which should be a dandy.

Through out the year I felt like our depth hurt us ,no different last night but honestly I'm thinking west only subbed one off the bench ? Because I noticed their girls was tired also ,both teams played very hard from top off to final buzzer.

Trojans have a lot of very talented help coming up

Return to “Girls Basketball”