Portsmouth lady Trojans

attn123
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth lady Trojans

Post by attn123 »

It was reported that Daniel Deaver from the West side was sitting behind the PHS bench and making comments to some of the girls during the game. One of the girls was so upset that she was in tears. Shameful.
This was posted on FB and many commented that this type of behavior is a norm for this man.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

attn123 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:22 am It was reported that Daniel Deaver from the West side was sitting behind the PHS bench and making comments to some of the girls during the game. One of the girls was so upset that she was in tears. Shameful.
This was posted on FB and many commented that this type of behavior is a norm for this man.
If that is the case, then shame on him. He is the adult and that shouldn’t be happening. I did not hear anything but was not in ear shot. What I did see was a girl not even playing attempt to climb over a chair and go into the stands while displaying a crazy behavior. I know kids act on emotion but this seems to be a common theme. If he was saying something then somebody should have been notified and proper actions taken. I seen on FB (and at the game) the way a lot of Portsmouth fans reacted to the loss, and it’s easy to see why the players think those actions are acceptable. They have an extremely bright future, but if you make excuses for it now instead of correction it is not going to live up to the possibilities.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Lady Senators on the win.......and to the Lady Trojans for a fantastic season!! Considering the youth of the Trojans, to make the district final starting 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores is remarkable, and to take a senior laden very good West team to the last minute is even more so. Everybody on the varsity roster returns next season, and then there will be an incoming freshmen group that has posted 2 straight undefeated OVC championship seasons. A big salute to Coaches Amy and Mike Hughes for bringing this program to competing at a very high level. The future is incredibly bright for the Lady Trojans.

As far as any personal behavior that some have witnessed, I attended many of the varsity and JH games, and the girls were respectful of their opponents. Before the girls program was winning at this level, no one made behavior an issue. Now that they're competing on a high level, the microscope comes out from some who want to scrutinize every move they make. They're not perfect, I'm not perfect, and no one on this board is perfect. The incident at the OVC JH championship was an isolated incident in which there were conflicting reports.

People love to take shots at the Portsmouth City Schools, their athletes, and the city. What they should be doing instead is paying attention to what's happening in their own backyard.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

TrojanDave ,I agree totally with you. When your going to be the best, and unbeatable in next 4 years in Div 3 in most of State. Portsmouth girls sounds like a force to be reckoned with and you have to play with that edge mentality, plus talent, plus great Coaching. Portsmouth is a great success story that has been built from ground up and the now the rewards and accolades will continue for quiet a few years. Portsmouth will be a State wide contender in Div 3. Fairland is Div 2 and quiet the team but looks like a new player is arriving.

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:28 pm TrojanDave ,I agree totally with you. When your going to be the best, and unbeatable in next 4 years in Div 3 in most of State. Portsmouth girls sounds like a force to be reckoned with and you have to play with that edge mentality, plus talent, plus great Coaching. Portsmouth is a great success story that has been built from ground up and the now the rewards and accolades will continue for quiet a few years. Portsmouth will be a State wide contender in Div 3. Fairland is Div 2 and quiet the team but looks like a new player is arriving.
Fairland will only be D2 one more year then back to D3. Should’ve never been D2, but is what it is.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Jonjon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:58 am
Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:28 pm TrojanDave ,I agree totally with you. When your going to be the best, and unbeatable in next 4 years in Div 3 in most of State. Portsmouth girls sounds like a force to be reckoned with and you have to play with that edge mentality, plus talent, plus great Coaching. Portsmouth is a great success story that has been built from ground up and the now the rewards and accolades will continue for quiet a few years. Portsmouth will be a State wide contender in Div 3. Fairland is Div 2 and quiet the team but looks like a new player is arriving.
Fairland will only be D2 one more year then back to D3. Should’ve never been D2, but is what it is.
Why should they have never been D2?

Cutoff for D3 was 193 girls, Fairland had 197... and a +8 CB on top of that... what am I missing?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Portsmouth is the new kid on the block! Dragons will now have to compete with high level talent next 4-6 years in the OVC.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

With the success of the Lady Senators making it all the way to the regional finals, I fell really good that the Lady Trojans can get to that same spot next season and just maybe a trip to the Final 4. PHS gave West all they could handle, taking them down to the last minute, and that's with starting 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores.

Super excited by what lies ahead for the Lady Trojans. Portsmouth will really benefit from a much deeper bench in 2023-24.

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

trojandave wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:31 pm With the success of the Lady Senators making it all the way to the regional finals, I fell really good that the Lady Trojans can get to that same spot next season and just maybe a trip to the Final 4. PHS gave West all they could handle, taking them down to the last minute, and that's with starting 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores.

Super excited by what lies ahead for the Lady Trojans. Portsmouth will really benefit from a much deeper bench in 2023-24.
They will definitely have a shot at it

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I would really like to see the Lady Trojans schedule a game with Africentric. The 2023 state champion Nubians are the gold standard for girls basketball in Ohio with a total of 8 state championships. With the current varsity talent and the incoming freshmen, with the possibility of making a run to the Final 4, a game with the Nubians could only help the Trojans and show where they stand on the state level. Africentric has most of their team back also.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I completely agree with you. The lady trojans have nothing to lose in this situation and you give yourself/team an idea of where they measure at in order to get to that level.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

The hoopla around Ptown lady Bball, is a couple new faces roaming the halls

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Pinwheel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:21 pm The hoopla around Ptown lady Bball, is a couple new faces roaming the halls
They got the big girl to move in last year. Won’t surprise me if there will be more.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Seems like a really stupid rumor honestly. Why would any girl decide to leave their current school in late March? There’s like 7 weeks of school left. Yeah I’ll just transfer to a new school to finish out the final 7 weeks of the school year. That’s something that would happen at the conclusion of the school year.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

There are transfer rules in place that make going to another school a big decision for many players. I'm not privy to the nuances of the rules, but players and their parents had better review the rules and guidelines before they make the jump. Don't want to see a season where your daughter only gets to play the first half of the season only to miss the 2nd half and the tournament. Parents should contact the school about transfer rules.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, transfers are going to happen. I have no problem with it as long as it's done the correct way. Just curious what school the player would have come from. Especially if they are expected to contribute, probably from a decent school? Who knows.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Kids don't always transfer just to go for sports,some actually really do transfer because family is relocating,and it's my understanding a kid can move from state to state and not have to sit out any games at all

People on the river seem to forget, Kentucky and Ohio is two states 🤔

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:26 pm Seems like a really stupid rumor honestly. Why would any girl decide to leave their current school in late March? There’s like 7 weeks of school left. Yeah I’ll just transfer to a new school to finish out the final 7 weeks of the school year. That’s something that would happen at the conclusion of the school year.
More time to work toward gaining eligibility.

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

Pinwheel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:47 pm Kids don't always transfer just to go for sports,some actually really do transfer because family is relocating,and it's my understanding a kid can move from state to state and not have to sit out any games at all

People on the river seem to forget, Kentucky and Ohio is two states 🤔
In Ohio as long as your parents or guardian move to an address that is going n that school district there is no loss time

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Really looking forward to the Lady Trojans season in 2023-24. Everybody back on the varsity, which made the district final, and an incoming freshmen class that went undefeated 2 years in a row, winning the OVC each year. Coaches Amy and Mike Hughes has this program aiming for the Final 4 next season, with a possible OVC title along the way.

Return to “Girls Basketball”