Portsmouth lady Trojans

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Portsmouth lady Trojans

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojandave always keeps up on the boys ,so thought I would open a thread for the girls ,Dave will also help me here .

The Trojans are at 2 and 0 with wins over white oak and River valley,I don't remember the scores but both Dave might remember and help out.

Next game is at home against coal grove

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Re: Portsmouth lady Trojans

Post by a_c_m »

biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 pm Trojandave always keeps up on the boys ,so thought I would open a thread for the girls ,Dave will also help me here .

The Trojans are at 2 and 0 with wins over white oak and River valley,I don't remember the scores but both Dave might remember and help out.

The Lady Trojans defeated Whiteoak 50-24 in the Manchester Tip-Off Classic on 11/19 and River Valley 66-20 on 11/22.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah…Whiteoak has played Portsmouth, Eastern Brown and East Clinton….Portsmouth was easily the best team and Whiteoak played at EB close and led EC at EC at half. East Clinton was D3 regional finalists last year and 3 top players returned.

If the young Portsmouth stars can stay on the court…they’ll be tough. Tremendous talent

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Roster?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

a_c_m wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:14 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:09 pm Trojandave always keeps up on the boys ,so thought I would open a thread for the girls ,Dave will also help me here .

The Lady Trojans defeated Whiteoak 50-24 in the Manchester Tip-Off Classic on 11/19 and River Valley 66-20 on 11/22.

Thank you

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Geronimo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:43 pmRoster?

I don't know all of the girls,but will try to find a roster.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Geronimo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:43 pmRoster?
Emily Cheatham
Sienna Allen
Daysha Reid
Key Martin
KK Mays
Sydney Meadows
Katie Ankrom
Savannah Cantrell

from the Box Score of the Daily Times article

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I hear they are loaded

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

How many freshman! Bottom line who's Ohio State looking at ??

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Geronimo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:55 pm How many freshman! Bottom line who's Ohio State looking at ??
Ohio State is looking at an 8th grader.

Freshman on varsity getting D1 looks from a few schools including Virginia,and Dayton is the Kelly girl, I would be very surprised if the Reid girl doesn't go D1 ,she is a sophomore, the sophomore Cantrell 6,3 so I'm sure she will draw some interest.

The 8th grade team has a lot of talent,best Burg Monday ,47 to 2 so next year is the year I look for a good run for the varsity.

They still have work to do and you still have to perform on the court , but at least things are looking up for the girls program at portsmouth

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:24 pm
Geronimo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:55 pm How many freshman! Bottom line who's Ohio State looking at ??

Freshman on varsity getting D1 looks from a few schools including Virginia,and Dayton is the Kelly girl, I would be very surprised if the Reid girl doesn't go D1 ,she is a sophomore, the sophomore Cantrell 6,3 so I'm sure she will draw some interest.

The 8th grade team has a lot of talent,best Burg Monday ,47 to 2 so next year is the year I look for a good run for the varsity.

They still have work to do and you still have to perform on the court , but at least things are looking up for the girls program at portsmouth
Think you meant Allen not Kelly lol. She’s a really good player for a freshman. Offers from Dayton & Richmond so far. I believe Hayven Carter is the 8th grader with offers from Ohio State, Arkansas and maybe a few others. Lady Trojans should be really good for the next several years.

Who Dey!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Think you meant Allen not Kelly lol. She’s a really good player for a freshman. Offers from Dayton & Richmond so far. I believe Hayven Carter is the 8th grader with offers from Ohio State, Arkansas and maybe a few others. Lady Trojans should be really good for the next several years.

You are right ,thanks for correcting it

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Carter was the name.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Have watched the Lady Trojans, both varsity and junior high, and this program is loaded for the next 4 years. Not saying it's an absolute given, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see PHS win some OVC titles and make a couple of runs to the Final 4. I know that's a high bar, but these girls are talented and there's depth to go with it. And to add a very good coach in Amy Hughes and her assistant Mike Hughes.

I like the way these Trojans push the ball up the court and can finish in a variety of ways.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

Below are highlights of the Lady Trojans' contest against River Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkBS5PEUINw

Portsmouth is very good this year and returns every single one of their 10 players on varsity right now for the next two years plus the four eighth-graders that should come up for next year and the three years after that. Sienna Allen, Daysha Reid, Hayven Carter, Savannah Cantrell and Emily Cheatham are already great players. Cantrell, Reid, and Cheatham are sophomores, Allen is a freshman and Carter is an eighth-grader.

While Carter is certainly a special talent, I believe eighth-grader Keke Woods is a fantastic talent herself. She has a burst and ability to change direction like few girls basketball players that I have seen at that age (and I covered Harley Paynter who played two seasons of girls varsity basketball as a middle schooler plus four seasons of high school and is at Tennessee Tech). I believe she'll be racking up D-1 offers herself in short order if she isn't already. Finishes really well at the rim and plays a great floor game. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she starts next year.

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

trojandave wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:10 am Have watched the Lady Trojans, both varsity and junior high, and this program is loaded for the next 4 years. Not saying it's an absolute given, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see PHS win some OVC titles and make a couple of runs to the Final 4. I know that's a high bar, but these girls are talented and there's depth to go with it. And to add a very good coach in Amy Hughes and her assistant Mike Hughes.

I like the way these Trojans push the ball up the court and can finish in a variety of ways.
Portsmouth and fairland are going to be battling the next 4 years for the conference and state titles.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

KCol: Thanks for the writeup and positive comments about the Lady Trojans. They are well deserved; the community is abuzz about what could be ahead for them. Hopefully all will be healthy and keep working hard at the game. The rewards will come if they stay focused on what needs to be done to be the best they can be.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wouldnt Fairland girls be Div 2 and Portsmouth Div 3, so technically OVC could have 2 State Champs in future. On OHSAA site I beleive Fairland this year is Div.2 , Correct me if Im wrong, but that be be something. In 2-3 years sounds like these girls could battle most boys team with all these Div 1 and college offers coming for a bunch of these girls. Has anyone thought that maybe a few girls transferring in and making them more powerful force in coming years. Plus they have a excellent Coaching staff, this staff has to be one of best at coaching these girls fundamentals and getting the most out of them . I just watched the video above and was impressed right now at skill level of freshman and sophs ands junior. These girls are playing like the old Trojan boys use to play for years. Kudos to them for taking the game serious and making Portsmouth a team to be reckoned with. Boys or girls its nice to see a well coached, dedicated group players that work on there game and want to be the best, and a team on a mission. Good Luck to this OVC group. Hard work does pay off in the end!

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

trojandave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:51 am KCol: Thanks for the writeup and positive comments about the Lady Trojans. They are well deserved; the community is abuzz about what could be ahead for them. Hopefully all will be healthy and keep working hard at the game. The rewards will come if they stay focused on what needs to be done to be the best they can be.
You're welcome! The hard work is evident in all phases from the players buying in to the fundamentals being taught by the coaching staff. They take great pride in getting down and guarding people which I really like, and they're well-conditioned. The sky's the limit after that because the talent is there and only going to get better.

I am really happy to see Portsmouth doing well in girls basketball in addition to the evident and fantastic tradition that is there with boys basketball (I still wish I had been old enough to get to cover those 2010-11 and 2011-12 boys basketball teams, would've loved to have seen those guys play plus the Portsmouth and Ironton boys battles were terrific at that time, and would've loved to cover the 2014-15 and 2015-16 teams more but I was a senior in college in 14-15 and in 15-16 I got a full-time job offer in Kentucky that I couldn't turn down).

Both coaching staffs have stayed the course through the good and bad and deserve success. It would be great for the entire school system and much-needed for the Portsmouth community as a whole.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

They win on Monday vs CG?

Return to “Girls Basketball”