Portsmouth lady Trojans

TrojanDon
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth lady Trojans

Post by TrojanDon »

Honestly people better watch out for that Rock Hill…..college level talent and returning a lot of starters. I still think the Trojans handle them but should be a closer game than any other conference games for the Trojans. Not sure about non-conference. Who should their best opponent be non-conference?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

With all of this success why is there no JV team and why are there only 6 girls total in the whole JH playing basketball?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Junior high numbers are doing the boys and girls program, pretty sad to see how much down they are,

First time in probably 50 years we have not had two junior hight boys teams .

I've heard there is a lot of 6th graders coming up in both ,but I'm not sure myself just what I was told.

Hopefully the success the girls are and should have will draw more girls out , the successful for them has actually just started

TrojanDon
Waterboy

Post by TrojanDon »

Portsmouth with another quality win tonight. Score was deceiving Portsmouth in control the entire game over Chesapeake. Hutchinson girl from Chesapeake is a gutty player. Rumor has it Dayton was in the house tonight to watch. PORTSMOUTH CONTINUES TO ROLL ON THEIR WAY TO THE OVC AND BEYOND!!! beyond

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth Jr high 71 Chesapeake 9

Portsmouth varsity 37 Chesapeake 35 , Chesapeake cut the lead to 7 points then had to foul at the end.

Chesapeake is a really good team

TrojanDon
Waterboy

Post by TrojanDon »

Portsmouth Jr High is so good they could beat every varsity team in the OVC other than their own!!!! Wow 71-9. I bet the Carter girl had 40. It’s amazing how talented she is.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:28 pm Portsmouth Jr high 71 Chesapeake 9

Portsmouth varsity 37 Chesapeake 35 , Chesapeake cut the lead to 7 points then had to foul at the end.

I saw someone post varsity final was 47-35..

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:38 am
biggdowgg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:28 pm Portsmouth Jr high 71 Chesapeake 9

I saw someone post varsity final was 47-35..

You are correct,I accidentally clicked 3..... instead of 4....

Thanks for the correction

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojan varsity got a real test last night in beating a very good Chesapeake squad. After jumping out to a 21-4 lead, Portsmouth saw that lead dwindle to 6 points in the 4th quarter. The Panthers rally fell short, as the Trojans made enough FT's in the final minute. Freshman Sienna Allen had a big scoring game for PHS.

The PJHS Trojans were led by Hayven Carter with 29 points. The JH Trojans have been very impressive in their wins so far.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I know the Carter name is popular in Portsmouth, does anyone know who Hayven's parents are?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

transplant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 am I know the Carter name is popular in Portsmouth, does anyone know who Hayven's parents are?
She is Abby and DJ's to my knowledge.

As for the other items....I was told by someone close to the program that there is not a single 6th grade girl playing pee wee basketball. I believe this guy would know. I get that numbers are down everywhere, but around 14 girls from grades 6-12 playing basketball at a school the size of Portsmouth is alarming.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Thanks, that's who i was thinking her parents were.

Not 1 girl plays basketball in 6th grade? Interesting.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:52 pm
transplant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 am I know the Carter name is popular in Portsmouth, does anyone know who Hayven's parents are?

As for the other items....I was told by someone close to the program that there is not a single 6th grade girl playing pee wee basketball. I believe this guy would know. I get that numbers are down everywhere, but around 14 girls from grades 6-12 playing basketball at a school the size of Portsmouth is alarming.
It’s nothing new to Portsmouth for girls basketball numbers to be down, although recent numbers are lower than normal..
Cheer and swimming are very popular.
In recent years some girls have prepped for softball season instead of playing basketball.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 pm

It’s nothing new to Portsmouth for girls basketball numbers to be down, although recent numbers are lower than normal..
In recent years some girls have prepped for softball season instead of playing basketball.
That's my point. The talk here is district titles and state tournament runs. What is keeping girls from wanting to be a part of something like that? Seems like numbers are up in softball due to their better teams.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:25 am

That's my point. The talk here is district titles and state tournament runs. What is keeping girls from wanting to be a part of something like that? Seems like numbers are up in softball due to their better teams.
3-4 yr window. they dont care about what happens after that because they wont be there

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Numbers are down, but they will recruit more girls to play. They got the big girl to transfer in this year I’m sure they will find more.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Jonjon wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:49 am Numbers are down, but they will recruit more girls to play. They got the big girl to transfer in this year I’m sure they will find more.
Look someone else crying about a school they don’t support “recruiting”. Believe you’re from Fairland am I wrong? If so pipe down.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:25 am

That’s just it though, it’s all talk. Right now they are what 3-0 or 4-0? Long season ahead. Maybe more girls will do just that and want to play once they see the possible success at the high school level. But as of right now they’ve done nothing to make anyone want to play basketball at Portsmouth. All stems from Portsmouth honestly having bad youth programs I feel. It’s like that in almost every sport. A lot of names and favorites, a lot of daddy coaches, multiple teams instead of 1 or 2. Get a good youth program established and you’ll see results at the high school level. You see results at the high school level you’ll always have kids who want to come out for every sport.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

I've seen both teams , fairland and Portsmouth,I would put my money on fairland by double digits at this point more experience and more talent,I don't remember names but fairland had one girl that just doesn't miss no matter where she shoots from. Portsmouth may have a shot at the league title in a couple years.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth Jr high 45

Fairland Jr. High 8

Return to “Girls Basketball”