Division II - Southeast District Information

Falcon02
Waterboy

Re: Division II - Southeast District Information

Post by Falcon02 »

I think you completely misunderstood my post. I said 9 players scoring 30 was bs. I never once said I didn’t believe fairland wasn’t good, or even that fairland wasn’t likely to win the district with ease. I simply said 9 players scoring 30 was not happening.

You using it as if people said they weren’t any good though is even more crazy. FU has turned their season around and been great the last 12 games, but I don’t expect them to hang with fairland either.

Sheridan v Unioto should be great. I’d lean unioto there.

I haven’t looked at the brackets, does SE play SE first game of regionals?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:46 pm Fairfield Union 45, Marietta 40

The Falcons put together a huge run near the end of the 3rd to go from down 9 to up as many as 10 in the 4th. They have now won 11 of 12 games after a 4-8 start to the season.

Their reward is Fairland.
Marietta led 25-17 when FU called their 1st time out with just less than 3.5 minutes left in the 3rd qtr, then they led 28-25 at the end of the qtr. Marietta scored the first 2 points of the 4th and FU called 3 time outs between 7 minutes left to 4 minutes left, each when their coach perceived their offense was in a predicament and risked a turnover. After that 4th timeout, FU scored 3 more points to make it 38-27, a 21-2 run over the course of less than 8 minutes, and Marietta never threatened after that.

Both teams pressed and both suffered numerous turnovers. During THE run of FU, Marietta suffered several turnovers and FU's Thompson was having a lot of success having her way inside and scoring what seemed to be at will. At the same time Marietta, who had scored well on treys, tried to go inside vs. good defenders that were taller, and as is often the case in girls basketball inside vs good defenders they flail out of control and the shots go no where near getting into the basket. The officials were excellent and did not reward the offense for flailing out of control. Then when Marietta went back to trying treys the defense was more there and the basket had shrunken under the pressure of time running out.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:46 pm Fairfield Union 45, Marietta 40

The Falcons put together a huge run near the end of the 3rd to go from down 9 to up as many as 10 in the 4th. They have now won 11 of 12 games after a 4-8 start to the season.

Their reward is Fairland.
NO, their reward is playing in the District Championship!

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Unioto over Sheridan… Fairland survives Fairfield Union and Ironman man 92 slows down the concession stand at halftime telling everyone how good Jackson will be next year … I can’t wait to see a great district championship..

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 am
se-alum wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am
danicalifornia wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am

Unioto is very good, but was really a year ahead of schedule, so the OOC wasn’t what It will be next year. All 5 starters can put up big scoring numbers, just depending on the night. Their 6th man has done some scoring, but is mostly a defensive presence for them and is really the only senior who plays much. Their 7/8 players both missed time at the end of the season, but were back against VC, which will help their depth.

I’m not sure if they are better than Fairland or Sheridan, but they’ll play hard and Betts/Smith will be fun to watch.
danicalifornia, do you know if they'll clear the gym between games at SE on Friday? Assuming they will?
I believe they will be since it’s 6 and 9
I've heard they aren't clearing the gym at SE tomorrow?!? Any truth to this?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

se-alum wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:09 am
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 am
se-alum wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:37 am

danicalifornia, do you know if they'll clear the gym between games at SE on Friday? Assuming they will?
I believe they will be since it’s 6 and 9
I've heard they aren't clearing the gym at SE tomorrow?!? Any truth to this?
Coach Miller posted that they were not, so I guess not. I assumed that they would with such a big gap between games.

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Jonjon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:43 pm
bman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:46 pm
60ft wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:40 am Fairland will be the 1 seed best team in district hands down and Unioto will definitely be the 2 seed. The 3 and 4 seed will come down to this week schedule out of Sheridan and Warren. Sheridan did beat Warren already but both teams has a tough schedule this week. Sheridan conference is way better then Fairland, Unioto and Warren conference. All four teams play all most identical style of play. The scary teams to watch is Marietta, New Lex, Circleville and Waverly. The first two rounds of District should be interesting games. Good luck to all the teams.
The district is very deep and the district finals are going to be brutal, no matter if you are the top seed or the second seed, so the seeding really doesn't matter too much. It's not like getting the one gives you a pretty sure ticket to regional. Not this year.
If fairland is on their game the districts will not be close.
Looks like I called it about the districts. 38 and 29 point wins. On to the regionals.

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Post by FACSPORTS »

Unioto vs Sheridan what a game! Unioto freshman Miler Smith with 31 points including the game-winning put back at the buzzer.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

Brutal loss for Sheridan after leading by 15 late in the 3rd. Game probably should have gone to OT though. Put back shouldn't have counted.
Attachments
unioto.PNG
unioto 2.PNG

General
Waterboy

Post by General »

Yep, really a shame, Sheridan choked a bit, referees helped with that late, and the last bucket shouldn’t have counted………..Can’t see any way Sheridan wins in OT the way things were going but you never know.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

She just completely took over the game. Awesome performance. A lot of young talent on display these teams, fairland, Unioto, and Sheridan should be battling it out the next few years. Best of luck to both teams next week.

Falcon02
Waterboy

Post by Falcon02 »

That clock hits zero as it touches her hand, before she even pushes it forward. You can’t miss that. However, that was an incredible tip.. the strength to get that to the rim is awesome. She’s gonna be special (already is).

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unfortunate to end with controversy, but still a ridiculous comeback by Unioto. The key to the comeback to me was Unioto going small and turning up the pressure on defense, and then obviously Smith on offense.

Letting Smith catch the ball with no pressure with 19 seconds left was strange.

What a performance by Smith

It’s going to take that and more to beat Fairland though

Coach_Cain
Waterboy

Post by Coach_Cain »

The whole sequence with 19 seconds to go was just wild. The inbound was a missed over and back call literally 2' in front of the ref and then a terrible foul call on the and 1 as the Sheridan girl basically surrendered the basket and was straight up. How it goes though and we all get the game we wanted. Sheridan definitely let this game get away from them but you have to give the defensive pressure Unioto brought down the stretch all the credit.

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Post by Mc1196 »

Fairland better play alot better than they did against Fairfield Union that was the worst game 🎯 ve seen Fairland play they had 10 stupid turnovers in 1st quarter and Hinkle didn't score until 3 minutes til halftime there 3 point game wasn't on and I seen the video of the top in the Sheridan game and it wasn't even close should not have counted

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Mc1196 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:48 pm Fairland better play alot better than they did against Fairfield Union that was the worst game 🎯 ve seen Fairland play they had 10 stupid turnovers in 1st quarter and Hinkle didn't score until 3 minutes til halftime there 3 point game wasn't on and I seen the video of the top in the Sheridan game and it wasn't even close should not have counted
Lol, it was extremely close, which is why it was missed. It’s much easier to say it wasn’t close with the benefit of replay and slowing it down. If you watch it from the reporter videos on the baseline, it’s almost impossible to decipher. If there’s instant replay in HS, then it wouldn’t have counted. Until then, it is what it is

Also, wasn’t a backcourt violation. You have to have both feet and the ball established in the front court, Smith had one foot down and the second landed in the backcourt. It was also close and looked bad, but upon replay, that one was correct…the foul on that layup was iffy for sure though.

The biggest thing, maybe protect the rim and put multiple bodies on Smith on every rebound and Sheridan moves on handily.

60ft
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft »

6C5E1A52-3D6A-43F8-88C3-4BD092A3D5D6.jpeg
0.1 seconds after the tip on the scoreboard.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

60ft wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:27 pm 6C5E1A52-3D6A-43F8-88C3-4BD092A3D5D6.jpeg 0.1 seconds after the tip on the scoreboard.
I believe that was before the ball got back to her for the tip. Watching it in real time, all the refs could really do is guess. Personally I thought it was good in real-time, but obviously it wasn't. It wasn't egregious though.

60ft
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft »

Her arm is bent back. So the ball is out her hand. Unbelievable play by Smith.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

60ft wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 am Her arm is bent back. So the ball is out her hand. Unbelievable play by Smith.
The FB video or whatever was posted on another thread showed it to be late. Tough call for the refs in live action.

Return to “Girls Basketball”