Wheelersburg vs. Portsmouth West…Round 3!

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Re: Wheelersburg vs. Portsmouth West…Round 3!

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

transplant wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:13 am
transplant wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:52 am

When did they switch to two SOC's? Pretty sure Oak Hill made it three time when it was split, didn't they?

You are probably right. I will edit that out. Still a huge game between these two schools. I guess probably first time two SOC II schools have faced each other in the regional finals in girls basketball.
For West, I could see them just being "happy to make it that far" but we will see. I didn't pay too much attention during the season, were the two games between the two close?
Think again pal. This team isn’t just happy to be where they are. It’s a hungry group of girls that play well together and deserve this shot just like the lady Pirates do. If they was “happy to make it this far” then they would have laid down against North Adams last night. Coach Howell won’t have to spark them much but he’ll have them hungry like any other night

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Well good, should be a good game then. Never said they didn't deserve a shot. Hope both teams represent Scioto county well.

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

Man I wish this could be moved to Portsmouth. How cool would it be to watch these 2 teams duke it out again at the James A Rhodes Athletic Center at Shawnee State. I bet this game would have that place a near capacity if not sold out.
I’ve always wondered why Shawnee State has never really hosted high school basketball games. It seems like it would be a great place to hold sectional and even district tournaments.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, anywhere closer and would be a packed house! Not sure why they don't use Shawnee, maybe it's the set up of bleachers only on the one side? Not sure.

Hampshire
JV Team

Post by Hampshire »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:55 am Man I wish this could be moved to Portsmouth. How cool would it be to watch these 2 teams duke it out again at the James A Rhodes Athletic Center at Shawnee State. I bet this game would have that place a near capacity if not sold out.
I’ve always wondered why Shawnee State has never really hosted high school basketball games. It seems like it would be a great place to hold sectional and even district tournaments.
I don’t think having West and Wheelersburg sit on the same side would be a good idea. Lol

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Cameron34Crazie34 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:33 am
transplant wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:13 am

You are probably right. I will edit that out. Still a huge game between these two schools. I guess probably first time two SOC II schools have faced each other in the regional finals in girls basketball.
For West, I could see them just being "happy to make it that far" but we will see. I didn't pay too much attention during the season, were the two games between the two close?
Think again pal. This team isn’t just happy to be where they are. It’s a hungry group of girls that play well together and deserve this shot just like the lady Pirates do. If they was “happy to make it this far” then they would have laid down against North Adams last night. Coach Howell won’t have to spark them much but he’ll have them hungry like any other night
This West team is definitely legit. Their guard play is fantastic.

Didn’t see the second game, but in the first, they made Burg look slow and took them out of their rhythm. As the game went on, West seem to get stronger while Burg faded.

Hopefully Burg can get the win this time but going to be a hard fought victory.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

transplant wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:31 am Not knocking West at all, they have a great team. This is a big game to be playing in for both teams. My personal opinion is that some girls from Wheelersburg have played in big games in other sports. Can I say the same about West? I'm not sure. That's all I'm saying.
Normally I would agree with you, but I really don’t think this is the case with this team. The bigger the moment the better they get. Two games this year with the SOC on the line it didn’t seem to bother the girls against burg. Now I’m not saying that Burg can’t win, because to be it’s a coin flip. I hate to use the same cliche but it is hard to beat a great team 3 times. But the “moment” won’t be a reason if we lose. If we do it’s because we lost to another great team. Really wish a venue change could happen, I don’t think the gym will be able to hold the fans. I think all of west Portsmouth was there last night and you couldn’t have squeezed another fan in, I’m sure it will be worse Friday. OHSSA is losing money by not making this closer, but I’m sure it won’t happen.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Hampshire wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:12 am
BuckeyeBond wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:55 am Man I wish this could be moved to Portsmouth. How cool would it be to watch these 2 teams duke it out again at the James A Rhodes Athletic Center at Shawnee State. I bet this game would have that place a near capacity if not sold out.
I don’t think having West and Wheelersburg sit on the same side would be a good idea. Lol
Probably not the best of ideas lol

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:07 am
transplant wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:31 am Not knocking West at all, they have a great team. This is a big game to be playing in for both teams. My personal opinion is that some girls from Wheelersburg have played in big games in other sports. Can I say the same about West? I'm not sure. That's all I'm saying.
Normally I would agree with you, but I really don’t think this is the case with this team. The bigger the moment the better they get. Two games this year with the SOC on the line it didn’t seem to bother the girls against burg. Now I’m not saying that Burg can’t win, because to be it’s a coin flip. I hate to use the same cliche but it is hard to beat a great team 3 times. But the “moment” won’t be a reason if we lose. If we do it’s because we lost to another great team. Really wish a venue change could happen, I don’t think the gym will be able to hold the fans. I think all of west Portsmouth was there last night and you couldn’t have squeezed another fan in, I’m sure it will be worse Friday. OHSSA is losing money by not making this closer, but I’m sure it won’t happen.
That's good this team is different, they def seem to be ready for the big moment. I was solely basing my opinion on previous success Wheelersburgs teams have had. I do realize West has had some success in softball as well. I agree, this game can be a coin flip. Wish there could be a venue change as well. At least find one closer, why not do what football does and wait until teams are decided and then find a venue? I know there is more time between games in football, but if schools would apply to host during the post season, closer venue could be an option?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Shawnee would be about the worst place imagineable to hold sectional and district tournaments because all seating is on one side. You're begging for fan issues / arguments / fights with something like that.

This game makes sense to be played at Waverly. Would bring a much bigger crowd and an electric crowd.

Best of luck to both teams! Glad that Scioto County will be repped in the Final 4 this year!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I've already talked to people who said they would go if it's played in Waverly. I'm with them. I won't make that trip to Logan. No easy way to get there and bad time of the year for deer up that way.

I think Burg learned from the first two games and will make it more competitive this time around. I think the first two games West pulled away late. Lot more on the line in this one.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 am
Shawnee would be about the worst place imagineable to hold sectional and district tournaments because all seating is on one side. You're begging for fan issues / arguments / fights with something like that.

This game makes sense to be played at Waverly. Would bring a much bigger crowd and an electric crowd.

Best of luck to both teams! Glad that Scioto County will be repped in the Final 4 this year!
TOTALLY AGREE!

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

What a showing for our fans and students. The basketball programs here at west have long been thought of as “oh well we aren’t a basketball school”. These new coaches and young ladies have brought in a spark and optimism that I have never seen before. The fans were to the rafters and loud. Young kids everywhere cheering at the top of their lungs. Winning creates winners and this is the culture change needed. Thank you also to the anoonymous donor who bought tickets for the students. I was told over 100 students tickets were paid for and two buses filled up. We take it for granted but there is a number of kids who could not have attended if that was not the case. Sider nation will be in full force on Friday, I expect it to be as good of an environment as you could get in HS girls basketball.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Wow, that's awesome!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

What's fun is look for these two to meet up in the playoffs in softball again in a few months. My guess is winner of that game will probably win it all.

Not sure we can predict that in basketball as Africentric is probably the favorite in DIII this year.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Best place to play is either Waverly or Univ. of Rio Grande. Portsmouth would be a good option as well. Dumb to make two teams drive that far for a game that would be a better atmosphere a lot closer to their home! JS

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Haven't seen Wheelersburg, but I watched the Lady Senators beat the Lady Trojans in the district final. They are for real with a good mix of about everything needed to have a great team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

West is the favorite but Burg doesn't care about who's the favorite or who's not.

The Lady pirates will play this game the way all of pirate athletics play their games, prepared, exhaust all effort, and expect to win.

I thought they had no chance against belmont based on last year's results and who belmont had on their roster, but they played the burg way and took the game from them.

I think this will be an exciting game, but either way a scioto county girls team is heading to the state. Pretty awesome.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Burg by 6, Big Time games are in Burgs Blood. Its a given in these games the Burg will shine bright. Pressure will be to much for West.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Its the Burg Will to come out ahead here. Expierence in HUGE athletic games will show in this game! West might won the SOC but will the BURG take the biggest game.THE STATE YES! As they say! THE BURG IS THE WORD!
Last edited by Prime Time on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Girls Basketball”