Waverly @ Wheelersburg 9\20

socman
Varsity

Waverly @ Wheelersburg 9\20

Post by socman »

Waverly sits at 7-1 and 3-0 in SOC play
Wheelersburg is 5-1 and 1-1 in SOC play

Wheelersburg is averaging 5.00 goals for and 1.33 against and their opponents have a record of 15-16-8

Waverly is averaging 4.35 goals for and 0.75 against and their opponents have a record of
22-12-8

As with most years , you can usually throw out the records when these 2 teams meet. Last season the teams tied both meetings.
Last edited by socman on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly @ Wheelersburg 9\20

Post by onthepitch »

Waverly by far is the better team it all comes down to how bad they want it. I feel burg will try and force someone other than Wiget to score if that is by physical play or doubling him which will open it up for the young guys. My prediction Waverly 3 burg 1 Roseberry 1 goal and Purpero 2 goals

Caleb Moore has to play huge in this game. Also look for Waverlys back line to come up big anchored by Willie Bevens and Caleb Brown.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly has beefed up their schedule this year. Playing Jackson, Chillicothe,Unioto and Circleville should help them on both sides of the ball. But playing at Burg is always an experience. Coach Boll has the rabbit in the hat.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Waverly seems to have a better overall team, but you can never dismiss Wheelersburg. They always seem to step up against Waverly. It will come down to a game of position. If the quick attaching long ball is not guarded, it could be anyone's game.

If Wiget and Roseberry gel up top, Collins and Purpero continue to play solid at mid-field, and Bevens and Brown play tough on defense during this game, Waverly should run away with the win. Waverly 3-1.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

front line speed of waverly will be challenge for burg to contend with. good things going on in waverly with the soccer program. waverly should win but never count out the pirates. should be fun to watch regardless.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

It takes a special team to go into Burg and come out with a win in any sport for some reason seems like the ghosts of Pirates past comeback and help Burg....in any case I will stick with my previous prediction Tigers 3-1 winners. winning with possesion and total team speed.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I think too many are selling the Burg short. Waverly's weakness is their defense (mainly because they haven't been tested). If Wheelersburg can get their attack organized I'd put them on top. Jarvis is the best player in the SOC and I don't think the Tigers will have an answer for him. Goals or assists he'll have a good game.

Burg- 3
Wav-2

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

[quote= Waverly's weakness is their defense (mainly because they haven't been tested)[/quote]

Waverly defense has been tested..the Tigers preseason included Athens, Hilliard Davidson, and several good teams at Rio Grande...A good Unioto team. I would say as person that has seen Waverly play several times this season their defense is the heart of that team. Caleb Brown is one of the best and fundamentally sound players in the area. When placed with McAllister, White and Bevens and then all district Brady Collins Waverly will be fine. The GK is young (sophomore) but he is making great strides.

As far as Jarvis the best player in the SOC....I think you need to get out and watch more soccer. Statistically Wiget looks to be the leader at this point...but talent alone my money would be on K Roseberry the kid is special.

Waterboy

Post by 817 »

This should be a good game.

I think Burg is going to cause a good bit of trouble for Waverly's defense. 3 good forwards is a handful for a flat back 4 that likes to push up on offense.

I think Waverly probably needs to score 3 or 4 goals to win this one

I also think Jarvis is the best player in the SOC. Wiget is a good player too.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

Will they play this game? Seems that they canal if it might be wet outside?

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

40% chance of rain. thats grounds to cancel i think

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

they'll play this game tonight. as far as picking a winner goes... i worry about waverly's fitness. seem to start crampin earlier than most of the other teams. regardless, should be a good game. i think wigel and jarve are both great players, tough call

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Burg back line would have to play a great game. Pk calls will be interesting. Here's to good match!

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

36 mins remaining in 2nd half Waverly 3-0. Burg player 11 straight red card for throwing a punch burg playing man down.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

14 remaining Waverly 3 Burg 1

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

5-1 final Wiget with hat trick also goals from Roseberry and Halterman..Burg goal from #17. Burg with 1 shot on.goal on first half. Approx 4-5 in 2nd half when Waverly rested its backline starters.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Looks like Waverly took care of business at a very tough place to play.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:I think too many are selling the Burg short. Waverly's weakness is their defense (mainly because they haven't been tested). If Wheelersburg can get their attack organized I'd put them on top. Jarvis is the best player in the SOC and I don't think the Tigers will have an answer for him. Goals or assists he'll have a good game.

Burg- 3
Wav-2
Too many donuts for you Jolly. I think Waverly's defense was the answer for Jarvis. All I remember is an unsuccessful header off a corner for his offense tonight. Might be four players on Waverly that could be considered better than the Burg's best.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly 5
Wheelersburg 1

Shots: WA 37 WB 7
SOG: WA 15 WB 4
Corners: WA 3 WB 1

Goals:
Wiget (Purpero) 26:10
Roseberry (Purpero) 4:29
Halterman (Wiget) 36:50
#17 WB Time?
Wiget (Purpero) 5:28
Wiget (Halterman) 4:05

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

If Waverlys defense is its weakness they must be really good.....Waverlys horses came to play tonight. Still know Waverly had a 6th goal that for some reason did not count it crossed the line. Waverly dominated every aspect of the game esp the midfield was Tiger Country.Waverly now holds the keys to the 2011 league title Will they let someone come and take it from them in the 2nd half of the season???? My guess is no but Socman will have to make sure of that

Return to “Soccer”