Waverly @ Wheelersburg 9\20

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Waverly @ Wheelersburg 9\20

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I would have to agree with soccerfix, Jarvis did have an off night. No question that the kid is a great leader and a wonderful sport. Win or Lose he show's class and respect. Can't wait for the next matchup!

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

soccersfix nailed it right on the head, every player has an off night. that night appeared to be burg's captain.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Braxton is indeed a great player and awesome person, but this isn't basketball. You need 10 others guys to win games. Hopefully both teams can stay healthy and focused the rest of the season. It would be great to have two SOC II sqauds representing the district at regionals.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

What a crazy game. I didn't know that the Braxton kid played basketball I bet he could hoop it up, very good kid. I think burg won district last year what was waverlys outcome? They are always at a different site.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I meant that in basketball one good player can make a serious impact and win games, in soccer it takes more than that.

Waverly lost to Marietta last season in the sectional final.

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

G Hawg waverly plays at a higher level than teams you see play in the S O C.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

Well 37 shots and only 5 goals sounds like someone missed a lot of shots. Making one out of seven seems they took advantage of there chances.

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

Let me say DIV 2 is higher than DIV 3 more students at the school pure numbers. Don't get so touchy, in sectionals they will play another big school. You prob don't understand.

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

typical waverly fans trying to bash the burg... :lol: once they learn that we're always the cream of the crop in the soc they will understand. the only off night braxton has is when he decides to go to bed early. next time we play you all he'll score so many goals he'll be part owner of the emmitt house.. peace out

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

Wow this game struck some nerves on some Burg fans.
Definitely can't wait until October 11 Waverly's senior night. Will be a great game.

Who does Burg play again? I can't seem to think of a team that caries an clout other than Waverly.
Waverly does struggle when it comes to Sectionals and District by having to play bigger D2 schools. They did happen to go out this season and get games with their D2 opponents, instead of playing teams that aren't as developed like the clays, easterns or new bostons of the SOC.

Just think of it this way Waverly has only had a soccer program since 1996. Went to district finals in 1998 lost to Valley (they went on to the final 4 that year) And made to district finals again in the early 2000's. Not to mention they have pretty much owned the SOC by winning in 5 times since 2003, on their way to number 6 this year.

I'm pretty sure they are heading in the right direction.
BTW the best play isn't the one with most goals scored, it's the one that is the difference maker on the field.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

GaryGroundhawg wrote:Well 37 shots and only 5 goals sounds like someone missed a lot of shots. Making one out of seven seems they took advantage of there chances.
If you would do the math the ratio of shots to goals is about the same. Burg just needs to find some way to get more shots.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Jarvis is a decent player, but one player does not make a team. I agree with Socman. I think Jarvis is in the running for SOC player, but don't count out the Wiget kid from Waverly. I have seen both play this season, but I think Wiget possess more. He seems to be a very unselfish player with great sportsmanship, speed and talent on the field. It will be interesting. Both seem to be good kids.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I'm just curious, how many District Championships does Waverly have under their belt??? Not a poke at all, just asking b/c I don't know

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

waverly is the team to a beat this year. if they don't win its problem. the program is developing. good jv squad.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jolly- I'll take the bait, none. But, D2 is 10x more difficult to get out of the district than it is in D3 in the SE District.

I'm sorry, but beating St. Joe's and Peebles to get to the Regionals is a joke.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

[quote="SmithB"]Wow this game struck some nerves on some Burg fans.

They did happen to go out this season and get games with their D2 opponents, instead of playing teams that aren't as developed like the clays, easterns or new bostons of the SOC.

What makes the difference what division schools you play in regular season? The Tigers went out this year and took on the mighty Jackson Ironmen at 3-4-1, highly regarded Chillicothe 2-4-3, almost .500 team in Unioto at 4-3-1 and lost to the Tigers of Circleville (6-2-1) by a score of 2-0.

Also Waverly has more boys in the top three grades than Clay, Eastern and New Boston combined.

I remember the days when Waverly led the conference many times only to fold at the end of the season.

I would like to say..........Waverly, you do have an excellent all around team and that includes JV! Enjoy your season and let some of the Division III schools enjoy theirs. You should have dominated the SOC in all the years you have been in the conference and did not do so.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto is 5-4-1, 1st loss was to Waverly, lost also to D1 Lancaster(5-2-2)and D2 Athens(6-3-1), so they are no pushover, that's a good D2 win(btw, Unioto dominated D3 in their last few years, then went to D2 and has had very limited tournament success.)

Chillicothe is 2-4-3, but has been to 4 of the last 6 district finals in D2 and is in a rare down season(after winning 10+ the last 6 seasons)

That's how you're supposed to schedule when you want to make a tournament run, regardless of what level you play on. Kudos should be given to Waverly for stepping up the non-conference.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

A c m. You obviously have never been to a D2 tourney draw......as Waverly is traditionally punished for their D3 loaded conference schedule. With new rules on scheduling waverly can possibly break into the top seeds. Teams like marietta and Warren Athens don't care if we beat a good burg team all the see is they are D3 so that is why Waverly is scheduling more d2.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

I totally agree wth onthepitch on this one. Waverly does seem to be punished each year because they play D3 schools. It will be interesting how the tournament draw works out this year. How does the drawing work? Everyone seems to have different opinions.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Just a side note: Numbers of boys or girls in the top three grades doesn't tell the whole story.

I'll take some "heathy demographics" over raw numbers every time! ;-)

Return to “Soccer”