Varsity

Re: SOC scores / standings

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly beats Jackson 3-1.

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

what was the final of the burg-eastern game. 5 or 6 to 1? sound right?

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

preps_fan1980 wrote:what was the final of the burg-eastern game. 5 or 6 to 1? sound right?

I believe it was 6-1.

neuron1
Waterboy

Post by neuron1 »

Wheelersburg 5 - Zane Trace 1

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

i'm ready for some good tournament action! just hate that i have to work tonight...post some scores so i know what's going on. thanks everybody!

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Could somebody please give me the score and stats for the Clay/New Boston match on 10-1?

Thanks!!

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

BeAWarrior,

I have it as a 3-3 tie.
Don't have the stats though.

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

Teams still alive in the tourneys:
South Webster and Minford

Eliminated:
West (Wheelersburg in sectional semis), Clay (New Boston in sectional semis), Eastern (Valley in sectional semis), Northwest (North Adams in sectional semis), Waverly (Chillicothe in sectional semis), New Boston (Wheelersburg sectional finals), Valley (Minford in sectional finals), Wheelersburg (South Webster in District semis)
Last edited by Keegan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Clay Panthers (Final)

Record: 4-10-3
Goals for: 59
Goals Against: 88

Goal Scorers:
J Valetine- 22
F Basarro- 14
E Kelley- 6
T Martin- 3
C Delotell- 3
J Ruby-2
T Carter-2
B Hempill-1
J O'connor-1

A pretty solid showing this year compared to last season.

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

There will be at least 2 more SOC teams eliminated today because Valley vs. Minford and Burg vs. New Boston tonight. South Webster plays St. Joe and I'm not sure who Waverly plays

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Waverly lost to a good Chillicothe squad.

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

Burg 8 New Boston 2
Webster 6 St. Joe 0..... from what I heard

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

No surprises here, I picked Burg 7-1 but 8-2 is not anything for NB to be ashamed about. With only 3 divisions in Ohio, teams like NB really have no chance to compete. I think the cut off on eligibility for boys is around 215(soph thru sen.) or so, and I would guess NB to be around 60. Burg has over 150 but also has football which of course take 50 so athletes away for football. That is why it is no wonder South Webster with their 120 or so boys, and no football, dominate soccer locally, but as soon as they move into the Northern region schools they will struggle to advance against the bigger 200+ boys schools. So what is the answer for the smaller southern Ohio schools, We need another division in Ohio State tournament soccer. JMO

sj soccer
Waterboy

Post by sj soccer »

my2cents, i totally agree with you. according to the OHSAA New Boston has 38 boys to pick from, while St.Joe has 16 boys. I haven't researched it, but I would imagine there are several school with 50 boys or under.
Last edited by sj soccer on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Post by lovevball8 »

my2cents, why do you go out your way to under cut South Webster? I understand your comments about divisions but why the dig on SW? They are a good team, bottom line.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I am not sure from my last comment where you percieved a dig on SW. I know that SW has a great soccer team and they have a nice soccer program, but when it comes time for tournament play, the fact that there is only 3 divisions in soccer puts them, and most Southern Ohio schools at a disadvantage. A 4th division would even out the tourney field and give the smaller schools like South Webster a better chance of becoming State Champs. I think the cut off for Div 3 is around 220 boys, which means schools that are twice as big in enrollment as SW and 5 times as big as New Boston are in the same brackets.
If SW had went ahead with their football program they would be hard pressed to field a soccer team. If Whbg, Minford, Valley, West didn't have football imagine what soccer teams they could field. So with the Cut off being around 215 boys there are probably schools that don't have football in Div III but do have soccer. The addition of a Div IV would even the field for the smaller schools and bring the number of boys down to around 120, which would give teams like SW a fair shot at being State Champs.
Be it SW or the Burg I hope they go far in the tourney. Does anyone know what SOC team has done the best in tournament play.

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

2cents,

I know that 'Burg, Valley, Minford and Webster have all been to the regional tournament. I'm not sure about any others. Please add them if I've excluded any.

Valley has been the only team from the SOC to advance to the state tournament. That was in 1998. They defeated a very talented Wheelersburg team in the regional semifinals to advance to the regional finals. My memory is fuzzy but I believe they may have defeated Berlin Hiland in the regional finals (again, please correct me if that's wrong.) They were defeated in the state semi-finals.

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

Northwest made a tourney run in the mid 90's not sure what year or how long, but the game was on the radio.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston in the late 80's.

Return to “Soccer”