SOC Scores and Standings

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: SOC Scores and Standings

Post by soccerfix »

drrabbit wrote:Does anyone know who scored for Minford in the game with Valley? (Minford 2 Valley 1)

All I know is that Joseph Winters scored the only goal of the second half.

I also have no idea who scored in the New Boston 2 Eastern 1 game either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
drrabb@zoomnet.net
drrabbit, I read somewhere that Blackburn and Munion are the two that scored.

The Player
Riding the Bench

Post by The Player »

drrabbit wrote:Does anyone know who scored for Minford in the game with Valley? (Minford 2 Valley 1)

All I know is that Joseph Winters scored the only goal of the second half.

I also have no idea who scored in the New Boston 2 Eastern 1 game either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
drrabb@zoomnet.net
Jason Holloway scored for eastern

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

CLAY 2
ST JOE 2

Clays led 1 - 0 and 2 - 1 but St Joe found a way to fight back and tie. Very evenly matched game with shots and goalie saves being almost equal. Clay's fan's did let out a collective groan when we saw the pony tailed ref was back tonight. After the two PK's he awared Valley from 70 yards away last week he mangages to call a dropped ball after Clays player was taken down in the box right before his shot. He also managed to stop them from taking a quick shot after the other ref calls a tripping foul right outside the box, Clay lays the ball down and takes a quick shot that bounces off the goalies hand, but he blows the play dead so he can walk 60 yards downfield to tell the St Joe player not to push, even though the other ref made the original call. In a game this closely matched bad reffing can change the outcome.
Ironton St Joe played a great game, both sides played clean. No cards and no one got hurt. Probably the best soccer game I have seen in quite a long time. Good luck with the rest of the season.
St

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

Sounds like a good game between Clay and St. Joe. I wasn't at the game but I was at the Valley game and did notice some poor calls that official made. He let them play the first half but then started calling everything he saw and may not have seen. But as far as I'm aware, there is not infraction to call a drop ball in the box. As far as I know you CANNOT have a drop ball in the penalty area. The official is supposed to take the drop box to the nearest spot of the infraction OUTSIDE of the penalty area. And a drop ball is only used to restart the game when there has been no foul and no clear possession. The referee's main goal is to let the game flow and keep their involvement at a minimum. I'm not bashing on referees by any means but the quality of officials in the last many years has been poor. And those officials that have shown quality usually do not officiate in the area any longer.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Wheelersburg 5
Clay 2

Burg took a 3 - 0 lead in at halftime. Clay turned it up a notch in the second half and about midway thru had taken 11 shot to Burgs 2 but it was too late. Burg ran subs in and out keeping fresh legs and Clay doesn't have the depth to keep up. Good clean game and even with the loss should be a cofidence booster for Clay. They played flat in the first half but should realize that if they can play both halfs with intensity they can compete against Waverly on Thursday. I asked Clay's coach why their defense wasn't making their usual slide tackles and he said the female ref warned them the ground was to hard and she was going to call it tough against tackles. That's a first.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

According to the Wavery/Webster thread, SW won 3 - 0.

pan-man
Freshman Team

Post by pan-man »

How can the ground be to hard for slide tackles?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Don't know. Clay's coach said she didn't want someone getting a concussion. I couldn't figure out why Clay wasn't tackling, as that is the strength of their defense.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

New Boston 4 Northwest 3

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

rockyraccoon wrote:CLAY 2
ST JOE 2

Clays led 1 - 0 and 2 - 1 but St Joe found a way to fight back and tie. Very evenly matched game with shots and goalie saves being almost equal. Clay's fan's did let out a collective groan when we saw the pony tailed ref was back tonight. After the two PK's he awared Valley from 70 yards away last week he mangages to call a dropped ball after Clays player was taken down in the box right before his shot. He also managed to stop them from taking a quick shot after the other ref calls a tripping foul right outside the box, Clay lays the ball down and takes a quick shot that bounces off the goalies hand, but he blows the play dead so he can walk 60 yards downfield to tell the St Joe player not to push, even though the other ref made the original call. In a game this closely matched bad reffing can change the outcome.
Ironton St Joe played a great game, both sides played clean. No cards and no one got hurt. Probably the best soccer game I have seen in quite a long time. Good luck with the rest of the season.
St

I was at both games metioned here and this official is just horrible. The two calls he made in the Valley game from 60 yards away shouldn't have been his calls, not when the other official was only a few yards away and didn't call anything. Then after he makes the call he walks like a turtle clear to the other end and when Clays coach asked who the foul was on he says he doesn't know which just proves he shouldn't have been making the call. If he can't say who commited what he thought was an infraction, then how in the world can he make the call.

Then in the St Joe game Valentine was on a breakaway with the St Joe kid right beside him pushing and shoving him from midfield on and then trips him in the box as Jon is taking the shot and he is within 20 feet of the play and calls it on both players and does a Drop Ball in the box.

Then there was the play that Rocky referred too. Clay has a player tripped and they set the ball down quickly and shoot it at the goal which bounces off the goalie and as another Clay player moves in to take the shot at an open net he blows the play dead and takes his good old sweet time walking almost the entire length of the field and everyone figured he was going to card the kid and instead he just tells him not to trip anymore and then lets Clay rekick, which of course by then St Joe has the defense set. So that's 2 potential goals he cost Clay in a game that ended a 2-2 tie and Clay could have possibly won.

I hear there is a shortage of officials in the area, but if this guy is the best they can get then the soccer in this area is in trouble.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

For the Burg/Clay game, it is the officials job to say whether or not the field is safe to play on, and if it's safe enough to play on then let the kids play! I've never heard of an official to say not to slide tackle because the ground is too hard. Slide tackling is an element to the game and if you restrict part of the game due to the field being unsafe then postpone or move the game. You DO NOT say you're going to call slide tackling closer because the field is too hard. Ridiculous.

For he Clay/St. Joe game, again you cannot have a drop ball in the penalty area. If this official cannot even jog to the place of the foul or across the field to explain himself then he doesn't need to be out there. He needs to try baseball where the umpires don't have to move. Now I'm not saying he's a bad official, just critiquing his officiating style to my opinion and knowledge-base. But, yes, he does waste a lot of time with walking. He should have warned the player on the next dead ball. The objective is to officiate the game in a way to keep it flowing. Don't take advantage away from a team. With the drop ball call, if both players are fighting for the ball and commit fouls against one another then a drop ball is the right call, just not inside the penalty area. If one player has possession then the first foul should be clear and it would be a direct kick.

The officials around the Southern Ohio Conferences are usually only exposed to the soccer in the immediate area, so unless they are going to classes or clinics or something to further their knowledge-base of soccer then I cannot foresee their performances getting any better and that's unfortunate.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay does need to do something with their field. They need a way to water it, especially around the goals. It really needs to be disked and flattened out, or plugged and rolled. There are bumps and dips everywhere and the ball bounces around making it hard to control. Would be nice to put a crown down the middle but since it is also the outfield of the baseball field I don't think that will happen.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Soccer fields are NOT suppose to have crowns. Football fields have crowns. Soccer fields are suppose to be flat. Check out most college fields or the crew stadium sometime.

Oddly South Webster's field has a crown. Over time, hopefully it will continue to flatten. I always figured that they were thinking football (it was during one of their every 10 year push for the pigskin sport) or had someone put it in that was more experienced with football fields.

Of course South Webster was one of the first two county schools to get football... But it did not last <sigh> because they were a 'basketball school'. That and EO McCowen had a lot of friends there.

Senators_soccer
Waterboy

Post by Senators_soccer »

West's field also has a pretty bad crown.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I was thinking more for drainage, but now that I think about it they are all flat. Clay's field has no crown or drainage. We played Eastern there last year in a field full of soupy mud and 4 inch puddles. It was comical to watch, and luckily no one got hurt.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

Clay's field can be rough at times. I remember playing on it but after a while it definitely helped with my touch on the ball. I was hoping they would put money into the proposed budget for the new schools but I've been told they were unable to. IMO they should tear down Rubyville Elementary and put the soccer only field there, tear down Rosemount Primary and put the softball field there. Otherwise there will be two semi-large buildings in the district not being used, unless they rent them out to some businesses. Hopefully they can do something along the lines of tearing down the buildings in the years to come to get some quality athletic facilities! A full size soccer field would fit, the only issue would be parking.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that when a new school is built all the old ones have to razed. I pretty sure the Burg had to raze the Grade School and the High School because it was part of the contract.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

That's usually the case but when I last spoke with Clay's principal he hadn't mentioned anything about having to raze the buildings or not.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I was at the SJ/Clay game and didn't think the officiating was any better or worse than I have seen all year but I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about officiating soccer. I guess it depends on who you support as to how you see the questionable calls from this game. On the "dropped ball" situation. I saw both players fall and in my opinion, neither player was innocent. Both did their part in creating the contact. On the other call, I didn't see it was a guarantee that the Clay player would have scored off of the deflection. The SJ keeper deflected the ball and it was kicked hard and was bouncing away but the ball was not behind the keeper. I find it a bit presumptuous to assume the Clay player gets to the ball first and scores.

Seems like one of two things happen in every game. Either there are a ton of whistles including offside and every bit of contact draws a call. The other being nothing called and things get rough. That can also be said of football and basketball officials. Everyone seems to agree that there is a shortage of soccer officials yet people seem willing to criticize the job they do.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

The first problem Clay fans had was it was the same ref who gave Valley two PK's with three minutes of each other when Clay was up 3 - 0. I sat right next to a sanctioned ref who said both calls were bogus, and yet he made them from 60+ yards away, while the ref 10 yards away saw nothing. Then in the St Joe game, Clay's player was taken to the turf two differnet times while trying to get a shot off, neither time did the defender fall. The first time there was no call, the second time was a dropped ball call, which should not have taken place inside the box, 5 feet in front of the goal. As for the loose ball after the free kick, Clay had a definite advantage with the goalie on the ground and had numbers but the ref blows the play dead, take at least 30 seconds to walk the field only to say "quit pushing" when it wasn't even his original call in the first place. No way to say Clay scores or not but definitely took the advantage away in both cases. Bottom line, the guy has a grudge against Clay for some reason. Hopefully we won't see him again.

Return to “Soccer”