2012 Boy's Scores

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Re: 2012 Boy's Scores

Post by soccerfanatic »

Athens 1
Alexander 0

Athens scored a goal off of a free kick with 44 seconds left in the game to hold onto the Challenge Cup for another year. It was a very exciting game! Both teams played hard in a very tight game.

satchmo
Waterboy

Post by satchmo »

Congratuations Bulldogs! Well-played game on both sides. Great shot by your #6 to win the game.

old_horse
JV Team

Post by old_horse »

Lynchburg Clay 3 Western Brown 1

soccerkrazed
Riding the Bench

Post by soccerkrazed »

Warren 5
Gallia 0

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Washington C.H. 6
McClain 0

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Chillicothe 1
Jackson 1

Jackson awarded a PK with 1:11 left in game.... player did not receive a card.

Correct me if I am wrong. According to the new rule changes if a player intentionally handled the ball in the box and prevented a goal scoring opportunity then a PK is awarded. If they PK is made, the offending player gets a "Caution". If the PK is missed then the player get the red card and is ejected.

If the player never received any card for an "intentional" hand ball are the officials contradicting themselves by awarding the PK? To me, no card = no intent = no PK.

The explanation given for awarding the PK is that the players hands "moved forward" and contacted the ball. This was on a direct free kick on goal, the offending player was on the wall. There was not any indication or acknowledgement that the player intentionally handled the ball, it was the mere fact that his hands moved. There is a big difference between a players reacting to a hard-struck ball from 10 yards away than intentionally handling a ball. The play was in front of the AR and the flag was not raised. The center was out of position but made the call anyway.

The officials in our area continuously get this one wrong.... and are very inconsistent with the enforcement. Had a direct bearing on the outcome in this one.

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

Marietta over Zanesville 1-0.

Marietta is 8-2-1

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Bucknuts wrote:Chillicothe 1
Jackson 1

Jackson awarded a PK with 1:11 left in game.... player did not receive a card.

Correct me if I am wrong. According to the new rule changes if a player intentionally handled the ball in the box and prevented a goal scoring opportunity then a PK is awarded. If they PK is made, the offending player gets a "Caution". If the PK is missed then the player get the red card and is ejected.

If the player never received any card for an "intentional" hand ball are the officials contradicting themselves by awarding the PK? To me, no card = no intent = no PK.

The explanation given for awarding the PK is that the players hands "moved forward" and contacted the ball. This was on a direct free kick on goal, the offending player was on the wall. There was not any indication or acknowledgement that the player intentionally handled the ball, it was the mere fact that his hands moved. There is a big difference between a players reacting to a hard-struck ball from 10 yards away than intentionally handling a ball. The play was in front of the AR and the flag was not raised. The center was out of position but made the call anyway.

The officials in our area continuously get this one wrong.... and are very inconsistent with the enforcement. Had a direct bearing on the outcome in this one.
Bucknuts, I can't comment on the PK in questions in your game since I wasn't there... here's the new ruling though: "There is a change in the penalty for an intentional hand ball by a player – other than the goalkeeper in the penalty box – who attempts to prevent a goal from being scored. If the goal is prevented, the penalty
remains a disqualification of the player, however, if the goal is scored, the penalty will now be a caution
to the player who deliberately handled the ball."

This means if a handball is intentional and the ball does not continue into the goal... it is a red card. The referee doesn't wait for the result of the PK. He/she would award the PK and send off the player before the PK is taken. However, say a player tries to punch a ball out of the goal, but the ball goes in anyway off of the player's hand, the goal would stand and the offending player would be cautioned instead of sent off. According to the old rule, if a player handled the ball intentionally (for example, slapping at the ball Luis Suarez style) in an attempt to stop a goal, but the ball traveled into the goal anyway, the goal would stand and the player would have to be sent off. Yikes... that's a big punishment to have to goal counted and play down a man. That's why they changed it.

Ultimately, I really think there are situations were a handball should be called, but the player shouldn't be sent off. What's tough if whether or not the rules allow for this. There's a big difference from what Luis Suarez did against Ghana in the World Cup swatting the ball away and a player who flinches on a free kick and moves his hand(s) in front of the ball. Both stopped goal scoring opportunites, but the spirit of the act is different.

Again, I can't comment on this PK in particular since I didn't see it. If his hand was struck after it was moved and in what the refs call an "unnatural position" it's likely to be called. I suppose the positive from a Chillicothe perspective would be that at least the ref didn't send their player off which would certainly increase the consequences of the call.

newschool
Waterboy

Post by newschool »

I know that I have seen the intentional handling call blow against us as well. What really is frustrating is when you see no call or yellow against an opponent but we received a straight red. I know that what was called against us was the right call but it is angering because twice in the past we saw no call and a yellow! The call btw is supposed to be regardless of the pk and if it is made or not as soccerfanatic pointed out. I also agree with ref's allowing more physical play than ever before. Some of this is just real soccer being understood by the American system. However physical play is not the same as playing dirty or dangerous. Slide tackles from behind, late shoves and throwing elbows or punches should always result in a call and/or a caution!

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

If I remember correctly, it happened in a West's girls game earlier this year. I believe she was given a yellow card immediately, and then the resulting PK was missed. I think the ruling really depends on what pair of refs you have. It seems like no two call the game the same way.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 6
Gallia Academy 0

Unioto now 12-0 and will host Alexander in a big rivalry game on Saturday.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

Minford 5
West 0

soccerkrazed
Riding the Bench

Post by soccerkrazed »

Warren 4
Jackson 1

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

South webster 5
Clay 0

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Waverly 8-0 over NW
With this win Waverly clinches outright SOC title and 3rd straight for the Tigers.

Goals by 2 by Purpero 3 by Diener, Burkitt, Pierce, and Lambert

Outfield4Life
Waterboy

Post by Outfield4Life »

Play for West turns out our goalie broke his wrist against Minford tonight.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Athens 1
Chillicothe 0

The tournament draw should be really interesting.
-Athens is likely the 6 seed, since they'll go in at 5-7-2, but they have wins over Chillicothe and Waverly and 1-0 losses to Unioto, Warren, and Marietta, someone will be working hard to avoid them.
-Chillicothe is 6-5-3, with a game left with Groveport Madison on Saturday. Chillicothe split with Warren, beat Marietta, but also has losses to Waverly and Athens. Tough to team to judge, but well coached and will be dangerous as always.
-Warren is 6-2-2(from OSSCA) and has split with Chillicothe and Marietta and a win over Athens.
-Marietta is 8-2-2, splitting with Warren, beating Athens, and losing to Chillicothe and still a match with River View(4-7-3) on Saturday.
-Waverly is 12-2, with losses to Unioto and Athens, but a win over Chillicothe. Their league usually hurts them when it comes to the meeting, but you can only play who is on your schedule and they have taken care of business more times than not.

I have a sneaking feeling that we'll see Marietta/Warren in the 2-3 slots, with Waverly/Chillicothe/Unioto having to knock each other off. But, I think Athens may throw a wrench into that equation, as nobody will want to play a team like them.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

I know teams are going to try to push Athens into the #6 seed with the overall record for a tough strength of schedule... but something I want to throw out is the head-to-head with other teams and our record in the sectional.

Athens has played every team in the sectional once and are 4-3 in games within the sectional with a total of 6 goals against in those games. Wins are against Chillicothe (the only team to beat Chilli on Chillicothe's field this year so far), Waverly, Jackson, and Gallia. The losses were against the best three teams in the sectional, each game a 1-0 loss: Unioto (Athens is the only team so far to keep Unioto under 2 goals in a game), Warren, and Marietta.

I'll toss this out there to the neutrals: Is it right to push Athens down to #6 and throw other teams that Athens has beat head-to-head above them when those other teams have similar or lower records vs. the fellow sectional teams?

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

The draw takes into account te entire season. Not just vs teams in the sectional. Athens has had a couple games that will really hurt them. As have chillicothe and warren. As for athens i am referring to albany and south webster.

satchmo
Waterboy

Post by satchmo »

Not as savvy as you all are about seedings and such, but it is also worth noting that Athens, due to previous injuries, has only fielded its full starting lineup the past couple of games and is on a 3-0 run with 3 shutouts. Defense is outstanding - just ask the teams that squeaked by 1-0 if they want to play them again.

Return to “Soccer”