Waverly vs. Wheelersburg, Minford

Redcard
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly vs. Wheelersburg, Minford

Post by Redcard »

socman wrote:B10 is right. Wheelersburg has had better athletes for a majority of the past 20 years. Faster and stronger players who can defend and win balls. They have also been blessed with some very talented players who can score goals. However, with the more players playing soccer and watching soccer, better coaching from youth to HS, and more players playing, other schools are able to play and beat Wheelersburg even without the better athletes. The style of play of the top teams in southern Ohio has drastically changed from when I began watching (late 90s) until now.
As for last night Waverly played a very solid game and Wheelerburg had trouble matching up across the field. I have Waverly with 39 shots to Wheelersburg's 3. Burg's keeper played a fantastic game to keep the score relatively low. Hopefully Thurmer can heal up and be able to help Burg out for the 2nd half of the season, he is a good kid.
On a side note, there aren't many players in the district who can play at the level Purpero is playing at. Unbelievable some of the things he does on the ball.
Burg has always had the athletes for sure, and amazingly fielding great ones on the ftball and soccer fields at the same time. This is the first time in recent memory I think burg is really down athletically. They will be reloading soon, i agree the youth program is solid (due to very good youth coaching out there)
however socman, i think the style of play for the top teams is still about the same (thats why they are the top) but teams have changed. The late 90's when u began watching I think Minford was a great possession team through the early 2000s (coaching). as their style changed I think waverly grew into one of the areas best possession teams. late 90s SW was still good, but a different kind of good. now they are more of a possession team, possibly fielding one of the area best teams ever a few years ago with that great run of players they had (more great coaching) burgs mid and late 90s teams were great and even played possession soccer ( i'm going with great athletes here instead of coaching). somewhere along the way, burg kept winning but changed styles. good luck to all teams, regardless of how you play!

sports740
Waterboy

Post by sports740 »

I hear what you are all saying and agree the team is young. However, with that in mind, sometimes you have to switch up the strategy that you have used in the past in order to get the job done in the present. As for the stats on goal shots with Wavery having 39 and Burg 3...that kind of backs up what I am trying to say. In order to take a shot you need more players at the goal. I am not downing coach's or players...I just feel they do have the talent and it is just not being used as it could. I am sure Pirates never expected to come out on top of the Tigers, but it would have been nice to score. Don't get me wrong the Pirates gave it a good effort, I would just like to see a few changes in order to utilize the players' abilities. The Pirates will take on the Tigers again this season and I would love to see a completley different game, in favor of the Pirates. As for Thurmer not being on the field, yes he was missed and will be missed BUT one man doesnt make the team and there are several other players that are capable of doing his job. I do believe the Pirates are in need of these guys stepping up as I will be surprised if Thurmer makes a return. Good luck to the Pirates as they take on the Falcos Thursday. PUSH UP BOYS!!

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

Burg never had a prayer in this one. Waverly owned the game in every category. Boomball loses to skill and posession everytime. Go Tigerzzz!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

completely different ball game if Thurmer was on the field. Hope to have him back soon.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

I know with the right players boomball has beat skill...that is what makes soccer a funny game. Please keep in mind Waverly was without their best defender and in my opinion the best in the district Willie Bevens with a tweaked hamstring.

Purpero was fun to watch last night......of Waverlys 39 shots would have loved to see more on frame.

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

agreed onthepitch, Purpero sparkles when he has the ball. I didn't see it until this year, but he's playing more and more like his older bro everyday. Luke was the most explosive player i ever played with. Go Tigerzzz!
Last edited by tigerSTRIPEZzz on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Programs need to evolve. For the most part the only thing for a southern team to aspire to is a district championship. Nearly impossible for a team from the south to move beyond this level. Waverly being closer to Columbus allows easier access to club play, but moe than that is access to club coaching. Teams south of Chillicothe will hardly ever move through.

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

Good teams have defenders that not only defend well, but also push forward into the offense. Both Waverly and Athens did that very well in the games I have seen them play. It creates a numerical advantage in the midfield and many teams can't adjust their defense to account for it.

Another problem - level of competition. If a team can schedule tougher competition, they will be better prepared come tournament time. I believe some teams are trying to do this (splitting the SOC into 2 divisions has opened up this up - which is good).

Take a team like Alexander - they often come into a tournament draw with a .500 record but they have a history of doing well because they play a tough schedule.

Once you reach the regional tournament the SE district pairs with the Central district. That's where it really gets tough because you end up playing private schools like Worthington Christian.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

vballsoccer178 wrote:Good teams have defenders that not only defend well, but also push forward into the offense. Both Waverly and Athens did that very well in the games I have seen them play. It creates a numerical advantage in the midfield and many teams can't adjust their defense to account for it.

Another problem - level of competition. If a team can schedule tougher competition, they will be better prepared come tournament time. I believe some teams are trying to do this (splitting the SOC into 2 divisions has opened up this up - which is good).

Take a team like Alexander - they often come into a tournament draw with a .500 record but they have a history of doing well because they play a tough schedule.

Once you reach the regional tournament the SE district pairs with the Central district. That's where it really gets tough because you end up playing private schools like Worthington Christian.

who ever said alexander plays a tough schedule! its a cupcake walk if you ask me!

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

Waverly vs. Minford on Tuesday (September 25, Waverly's Senior night) Waverly will at least clinch a share of the SOC II title with a win. It will be three in a row for Waverly. But the big ? will be can they finally beat burg twice in the same season on October 9th @ Burg?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pirates have shown up big the past several years. Turf field could help the tigers. Plays into their speed. Don't know if burg has enough scoring threats and tough to defend forever, or 80 minutes. Whichever comes first. Hope it's a good one.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pirates have shown up big the past several years. Turf field could help the tigers. Plays into their speed. Don't know if burg has enough scoring threats and tough to defend forever, or 80 minutes. Whichever comes first. Hope it's a good one.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

saveTHEnight wrote:
vballsoccer178 wrote:Good teams have defenders that not only defend well, but also push forward into the offense. Both Waverly and Athens did that very well in the games I have seen them play. It creates a numerical advantage in the midfield and many teams can't adjust their defense to account for it.

who ever said alexander plays a tough schedule! its a cupcake walk if you ask me!
It's an easy schedule this season, but they have reached the Regionals with a below 500 record before because of the schedule. They have been down the past few seasons and I think that is why the schedule is the way it is this season.

Waterboy

Post by 817 »

The Falcons head to Waverly tonight. Did they get much rain in Waverly? If so that may be trouble for Waverly.

Has there been a team yet that has been able to shut down White? He plays midfield right? Minford has some pretty good midfielders and maybe they can key in on him for tonight's game.

I look for this one to be closer than last time.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Shutting him down will be a task. he's good. conditions will also be a factor, the pitch at waverly dry is still pretty bad. This will be a great game to watch.

GoCats
Riding the Bench

Post by GoCats »

Maybe I'm the only one reading into the arrogance of this thread, but come on. Waverly vs Wheelersburg, Minford. It implies that waverly could beat Wheelersburg and Minford put together. What a joke, Wheelersburg minus some injuries could give the tigers a run for there money.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Tigers beat Minford tonight 2-1 clinching a share of their 3rd straight SOC title. Tiger goals by Purpero and White

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

score was 2-1. but how close was the game really?

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

The game really could have gone either way Minford came to play this evening.....and not sure about the Tigers but they played their worst game of the season. It pains me to say it but Minford was the better team this evening....but the TIgers found a way to win. Tigers were without Bradley and Bevens was no where near 100%.

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

True, the Tigers were very flat tonight. They lucked out, but good teams always find the net, and find a way to win. Hopefully Bradley will be back soon. Go Tigerzzz!

Return to “Soccer”