Riding the Bench

Waverly vs. Chillicothe

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

Should be a great display of soccer.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Waverly vs. Chillicothe

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

haven't had the chance to see Chillicothe play, but have seen a very solid waverly team. i pick the tigers 2-1.

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

I'd love to see this one. I haven't seen chilli either but know they are very good and play a tougher schedule ( not waverlys fault). I'll take Chillicothe here 3-1.

FlatBack4REAL
Riding the Bench

Post by FlatBack4REAL »

Both teams are playing very well right now. I have to stick with the SOC on this one.

Tigers- 1
Cavs- 0

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

Have not seen Waverly play yet this year (Marietta plays Waverly later in the season) but have seen Chillicothe.
Chillicothe beat Marietta 2-0 and looked very good in doing so. They were solid defensively and created some good chances to score. Should be a good game, wish I could witness it. Going to go with the Cavs winning 2-1.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Should be a great game. Chilli win 4-1 at albany shootiut over the summer. Waverly won 5-3 in their scrimmage.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

ok i see. chilli 4-1 shootiut (french maybe?) scrim waverly 5-3. total goal differential 7-6. south webster beat athens 1-0 and athens beat waverly 3-2. goal diff there 4-2 (a and sw vs. wav). waverly beat sw 4-1. So total Goal differential between waverly and opponents mentioned is 12-12. should be a close one. if i had to pick. 2-2 draw.

THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE
Riding the Bench

Post by THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE »

jazzhands88 wrote:ok i see. chilli 4-1 shootiut (french maybe?) scrim waverly 5-3. total goal differential 7-6. south webster beat athens 1-0 and athens beat waverly 3-2. goal diff there 4-2 (a and sw vs. wav). waverly beat sw 4-1. So total Goal differential between waverly and opponents mentioned is 12-12. should be a close one. if i had to pick. 2-2 draw.
WOW, i've read that 10 times and still have no clue what it means but ill go with the draw as well. and serve me up a couple tylenol with that! as for waverly, they're garbage D2 this year. they'll get tattooed in the tourney. peace out

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

Let's not get too out of control with this one. Save that for the South Webster games.

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

tigerSTRIPEZzz wrote:Let's not get too out of control with this one. Save that for the South Webster games.
whats that supposed to mean tony the tiger??? :aaaaa94

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

jazzhands88 wrote:ok i see. chilli 4-1 shootiut (french maybe?) scrim waverly 5-3. total goal differential 7-6. south webster beat athens 1-0 and athens beat waverly 3-2. goal diff there 4-2 (a and sw vs. wav). waverly beat sw 4-1. So total Goal differential between waverly and opponents mentioned is 12-12. should be a close one. if i had to pick. 2-2 draw.
2+2 is potato! That's the worst mathematical reasoning ever. I respect the 2-2 prediction ( could happen) just not how u formulated your answer. Just a simple guess would have worked here

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

This one should be close.....two pretty good teams and the game is meaningful for seedings.

As far as pre-season games go, you really can't take to much from taht... great for fans but teams are working on different things and looking at different players in various positions. Chillicothe won the Alexander Shootout but was still missing a couple key players, Waverly also had key players out.

As far as the scrimmage game at Waverly, the Cavs never played the formation they play now for more than 8 minutes because they had already seen Waverly two weeks earlier and they knew they would be seeing them again down the road. The scrimmage was used more to get a final look at certain players before the season began. Many JV players and support players logged a great deal of minutes that day, Winning was secondary to that purpose... I am sure it was the same for Waverly.

If Waverly does win, I believe it would be the first time Chillicothe has lost to Waverly during the regular season (or tournament) in the 15 years Coach McCorkle has been the head coach at Chillicothe. (I will double-check this, but believe this is right.) Yes, you heard that correctly. As many good teams Waverly has had through the years they have never beaten Chillicothe during that time span, that includes the Luke Purpero years. They played to a 2-2 tie last year even though Chillicothe only had 3 total wins on the season.

The problem for Waverly has been scoring against Chillicothe, while keeping Chillicothe off the scoreboard. Waverly has had some great offensive teams over the years but I truly believe a good defense overcomes a good offense most of the time. If the defense plays as it has been over the last 6 games (have given up two goals w/ 4 shutouts) it will be tough for Waverly to score.

Waverly has probably only played one team as good as Chillicothe thus far. Chillicothe has already played 4 games (Warren twice, Marietta, and Reynoldsburg) that would be as good as Waverly. This should help Chillicothe a bit.

Give Waverly home field advantage and that negates the tougher schedule argument somewhat. Waverly has some very good players and a solid team. Going wiith the odd you would have to think that Waverly would have to break through with a win one of these times.

That being said... I would expect a good game. Probably low scoring. I would predict 3-2, possibly a 4-2 final result. I will leave it to you all to predict a winner.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Had to check my records to see exactly if I was right on Waverly being winless in this match-up....

Don't know what happened before 1998, but since then these two school have played 7 times. They have played each other every year since 2005' except for the year 2006'. They played twice in 2009, once in the regular season and once in the tournament. 2005 was also a tournament game.

In those seven games Chillicothe is 6-0-1. They have scored 31 goals and have given up 8. In five of those seven games Waverly has scored one goal or less.

Do I think that trend will continue? No, not necessarily....but nonetheless, Waverly has really struggled when theyhave played Chillicothe in the past.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

burg tied zane trace 1-1 today. great game.

any updates on this match?

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Waverly 3-2 Waverly goals by Diener and 2 by White

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Congrats to Da Tigers!

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

Wow! This District tournament is going to be so wide open and provide some great games!
Warren beat Chillicothe.
Chillicothe beat Warren and Marietta.
Marietta beat Warren and Athens.
Athens beat Waverly.
Waverly beat Chillicothe.
And then there is Unioto who has beaten them all so far, meaning Athens and Waverly. Unioto/Chillicothe game has just gotten that much bigger. Marietta still has games with Warren and Waverly as well. Lots of games left before seeding I assume but that will be a very interesting meeting I am sure.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Well I think I was right on my prediction....just was hoping for a different winner.

Congrats to Waverly, nice win.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

marietta wrote:Wow! This District tournament is going to be so wide open and provide some great games!
Warren beat Chillicothe.
Chillicothe beat Warren and Marietta.
Marietta beat Warren and Athens.
Athens beat Waverly.
Waverly beat Chillicothe.
And then there is Unioto who has beaten them all so far, meaning Athens and Waverly. Unioto/Chillicothe game has just gotten that much bigger. Marietta still has games with Warren and Waverly as well. Lots of games left before seeding I assume but that will be a very interesting meeting I am sure.
Great way to show the unpredictable nature of the sectional this year. Unioto is the best team Athens has seen, but I wouldn't say anyone is head and shoulders above the rest. We've lost 1-0 to Marietta, Unioto, and Warren. All close games, with the other teams doing enough to win. Our game with Waverly was a back and forth affair, with waverly creating more opportunities, beat we capitalized more on a 3-2 win. We still have games with a good Chillicothe team who has reloaded after a tough year last year and Jackson, who hasn't met expectations, but don't forget about them. We beat Gallia 7-1. So, by the district meeting, we'll have seen every team in our sectional.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

A little of the game details...

Chillicothe was playing in Waverly's end much the first 2 1/2 minutes then Waverly went the other way on a quick counter.... Diener scored with 37:17 still left on the clock. Chillicothe was able to earn a PK 1:17 later to tie it 1-1. The Waverly player was called for the foul in the box...he was also obstructing the player to goal. Dalton Bettendorf was fouled, Bryan Stark made the PK.

Waverly got another quick counter at the 11:50 mark of the first half with Jean Paul White netting the goal. 2-1 Waverly at half.

Its important to note that I only had Waverly for two shots directly on goal in the first half. (There could have been a third I missed, but I had them for two) They scored off both chances. That's pretty good efficiency.

Chillicothe spent most of the second half trying to tie the game.... finally got the equalizer with 10:28 left to play. A lofted ball was sent into the upper center of the box which Tommy Bolte was able to get his head on and direct it toward goal. Frankie Whalen was able to drop in behind Bolte & the defense and clean it up. Score notched at 2-2.

Waverly didn't waste too much time getting the lead again. They scored 00:26 sec later on a nice goal by White, his second of the night. White beat Chillicothe's right back and took a hard shot on goal. Chillicothe's keeper (Tristan Oesterle) made a great save but the ball went right back to White who put the second attempt into the back of the net. Waverly takes the lead 3-2. This was disappointing from the standpoint that Chillicothe's starting right back had gone down just earlier with an ankle injury and was not in the game. He could not return.

Jacob Weber (Chillicothe's starting Defensive Midand one of the captains) was already sidelined with an ankle injury sustained in Thursday night's Warren match. He was held out of this game. He is arguably Chillicothe's best all-around player. Starting Center Mid (and a senior captain) Josh Watkins also did not dress for this game. He was ill and could not make the bus trip. That was a Saturday morning call. Not trying to make excuses for Chillicothe, just saying that after Benson went down Chillicothe was down 3 starters at this point in the game, two of their three starting midfielders. Chillicothe is much deeper this year than last year, but had trouble overcoming these losses against a quality team like Waverly.

I know Waverly has their own personnel issues too. That's just part of the game.

Chillicothe had 3 corners in the last 90 seconds of the game and played predominantly in Waverly's end the last 10 minutes. This was mainly due to the fact that Chillicothe was taking chances putting more numbers forward and Waverly was dropping more men back in the box. This actually helped Chillicothe and they were very close to getting their third goal to tie it on numerous occasions. Tommy Bolte got a clean header off a corner directly in front of goal with about a minute left that almost found that net....still don't know whether the keeper saved it or another Waverly defender.

I had Chillicothe for slightly more shots on goal, and more corners. Chillicothe also had a decided advantage in time of possession, but Waverly got it done where it counts... on the scoreboard.

Waverly's back four defensemen did a nice job fighting for balls and delaying Chillicothe's attack long enough for their midfielders to recover and really clog up thier defensive third. As Chillicothe pushed more players forward and built up on offense, that gave Waverly the opportunity for the counter.

Really a great game and well played by both teams. Not overly physical, and only a couple of cautions. Not any controversial plays. (unless you interpret the PK differently) I am pleased for Coach Williamson and his program....without trying to sound condescending, great win.

Return to “Soccer”