Waverly vs. Warren (D2 District final)

socman
Varsity

Waverly vs. Warren (D2 District final)

Post by socman »

Waverly and Warren both advance back for a rematch of last year's final in which Waverly scored first but Warren rebounded for 4 unanswered to win 4-1. Thoughts on the match this time around? Looks to be harsh conditions come Saturday.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly vs. Warren (D2 District final)

Post by soccerfanatic »

First of all, Athens played both teams this year, so I got to see both teams. Both teams have good players who play hard and fair. Both teams have good coaches. It should be a great game. I'm not a big fan of making predictions on who will win or lose, but I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if it took a golden goal from one team to win it in overtime. It should be a close game.

Here are the different match-ups on the areas that matter:

Experience: Being a rematch of last year's final, neither team really has an advantage. Warren has the confidence of knowing they've won it before. Waverly has the motivation to prove they can do it and be the first team under a #3 seed to win districts. (As far as I know, no team lower than a #3 seed has won since 2001 when boys soccer switched to three divisions.) Both teams have been here before.

Goalkeeping: This is a bit of a question mark for both teams. Before people start ripping on me... I'm not saying their keepers are horrible, but compared to the rest of their teams, this is a bit of a shaky area for both teams. When Athens played Waverly, we scored on 3 of our 4 shots on frame. All three shots were great shots, but one of them was a free kick from 30+ yards. Warren's keeper seems to lack some confidence and is a little shaky as well. Expect some rebounds from him. Many tournament games come down to which team's keeper comes up big and I think this game is no different.

Defense: Both teams are solid on defense. No real holes or major weaknesses. I wouldn't describe defense as the main advantage for either team if they were matched up against someone different. I would give a slight edge to Warren as they're a little more athletic (mostly because of ?#15?) and a bit better at defending set pieces.

Midfield: This is where I give a clear advantage to Warren. Koch is a dominant player who can change the game. Warren is really built around him. If he has a great game, Waverly could be in trouble.

Forwards: This is where Waverly has the advantages. If both Purpero and White are up top, this is the most dangerous pairing of forwards I have seen this year. Purpero is probably only second to Zupi in terms of scoring potential in the district. White is sometimes moved around, but he adds a real dangerous option in addition to Purpero. The Waverly teams of old could be shut down in tournament by shutting down the elder Purpero and there really wasn't a second option. Not true with this team. Warren's forwards, like Kroner are athletic and can score some good goals too, but aren't as quite as good as Waverly's.

This should be a great game and I'm looking forward to it. Good luck to both teams!

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

No ripping here Soccerfan, both Keepers are shaky as jackhammers. Goodluck to both teams.

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

I think Moore is a solid keeper (he's a Junior). Size might be his only weak point but not every Keeper can be 6 ft. 4 and 195lbs. He has done a fine job for Waverly all season and I think he'll have a big game against Warren.

realfutbol
Riding the Bench

Post by realfutbol »

soccerfanatic we are not writing novels on here...to much to read...give us some nice simple predictions...I think Waverly has run their course..I see Warren taking it to them 5-2

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

realfutbol wrote:soccerfanatic we are not writing novels on here...to much to read...give us some nice simple predictions...I think Waverly has run their course..I see Warren taking it to them 5-2
Sorry realfutbol, I figured you could read more than a few sentences. Maybe not. It's "too much to read", by the way.

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

Soccerfantastic
I give you an "A" on your recently submitted soccer essay. I cant wait until it comes out in Itunes audiobooks. I've seen waverly, not warren. Thanks to your short story I feel like i know a little about the latter. I'm riding the hot teAm here and going with waverly.

goldentoe
Waterboy

Post by goldentoe »

Warren has talent top to bottom. Very strong team, but their diamond back gives up a lot of space. If Purpero can find the seems, they can punish Warren and a shaky keeper. But Warren will attack start to finish. Too much fire power.

Warren 3-2 OT

realfutbol
Riding the Bench

Post by realfutbol »

soccerfanatic wrote:
realfutbol wrote:soccerfanatic we are not writing novels on here...to much to read...give us some nice simple predictions...I think Waverly has run their course..I see Warren taking it to them 5-2
Sorry realfutbol, I figured you could read more than a few sentences. Maybe not. It's "too much to read", by the way.
Sorry Fanatic...I didn't know that we had to pass english 101 to post on here and worry about grammar...I thought this was about soccer opinions... I believe you could of given us your cliff notes version and we could of got the idea...By the way what's your prediction?????

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

goldentoe wrote:Warren has talent top to bottom. Very strong team, but their diamond back gives up a lot of space. If Purpero can find the seems, they can punish Warren and a shaky keeper. But Warren will attack start to finish. Too much fire power.

Warren 3-2 OT
A diamond back!!!!! I thought that was a soc secret defense. OMG now everyone is aware of it. There goes our advantage.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Warren 4 -Waverly 0
Final

satchmo
Waterboy

Post by satchmo »

realfutbol wrote:
soccerfanatic wrote:
Sorry Fanatic...I didn't know that we had to pass english 101 to post on here and worry about grammar...I thought this was about soccer opinions... I believe you could of given us your cliff notes version and we could of got the idea...By the way what's your prediction?????
I for one, appreciate the in-depth analysis of each team, fanatic. By the way, realfutbol - I also appreciate proper grammar. The use of "to" and "too" is not English 101 - it's fourth grade stuff. And it's "could have", not "could of". English is, I assume, your mother tongue, after all. Since most Americans will only ever speak and write one language, it's not too much to ask that they do so correctly.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

"I for one, appreciate the in-depth analysis of each team, fanatic. By the way, realfutbol - I also appreciate proper grammar. The use of "to" and "too" is not English 101 - it's fourth grade stuff. And it's "could have", not "could of". English is, I assume, your mother tongue, after all. Since most Americans will only ever speak and write one language, it's not too much to ask that they do so correctly."

Hah hah hah. You should check your own use of "And" to start your sentence. Plus other things before you go on a grammar trip on a sports form. Dipstick

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

Prepositions, clauses, vernacular??? Back to soccer... What happened in this game? I know the final was 4-0 but does this adequately tell the "story" of the game?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

A score of 4 - 0 describes the game unless there was some sort of bus accident before the game. Figured we would have heard from the Tiger faithful to minimize the loss.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

I'm in the same boat as wolf and Rex, I'd like to see a box score and some stats.

Lewisville Slugger
Waterboy

Post by Lewisville Slugger »

Warren scored early and kept the pedal down in the first half. All four goals before the break. Waverly couldn't get much going. Warren coasted to the victory. The Duff kid is for real.

MHS_Soccer_Dad
Freshman Team

Post by MHS_Soccer_Dad »

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5025

Above is the link to the local paper write up. I wasn't there but listened to last 20 mins or so on the radio...sounded like the game was well over by then. Sorry this is all I have.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

The first goal was on a very nice floated goal from number #32) that the keeper could have covered but he hesitated and it was all over from there. The second goal was officially counted when Duff put in a rebound off the post (ball had actually hit the crossbar and gone over the line but wasn't given). The third and fourth were off of corners. It was 4-0 at half and not much of a game at all. I'm pretty darn sure Waverly didn't touch the ball past the 30 yard line on Warren's side in the first half. If they had an actual shot on goal (not over) during the game, I'd be surprised. I know for certain they had 0 shots on goals for the first half. Warren played harder, more aggressively, and simply had too much firepower for Waverly. They were overwhelmed from the first minute on. Warren got some of their bench players in during the second half. Best game I've seen Warren play, although this was only the third time I've watched them.

Waverly should be proud of their season and congrats to Warren on back-to-back districts!
Last edited by soccerfanatic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerkrazed
Riding the Bench

Post by soccerkrazed »

Soccerfanatic you are right on. Great observations of these teams. As you wrote before if Koch has a great game it will be difficult for Waverly to take control. He had a great game and the midfield was definitely in control. The defense played very well and marked Waverly's forwards not giving them much chance of getting the ball. I thought Koch got the second goal that hit the crossbar. It looked like it had deflected down over the line when Duff made a run to the goal. Wasn't sure. Warren played aggressive throughout the match and came out with a much deserved win. Good luck to them against Bexley!! Well done by Waverly for making it to district final.

Return to “Soccer”