Saturday 10/19 at Jackson
10:00 Lynchburg Clay vs. South Webster
1:00 Zane Trace vs. Leesburg Fairfield
4:00 Wheelersburg vs. Belpre

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: D3 District Games

Post by danicalifornia »

Should be some nice matchups down at Jackson.

I'll take Lynchburg, ZT, and Burg, but none by more than a single tally.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

should be good matches. lynchburg, zt and burg. think it will be more like 3 than a single tally difference. weather looks bad for tomorrow afternoon. morning kicks are tough but dry.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

SW wins the morning session 2-1

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Good call on Lynchburg guys!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Zane Trace vs Leesburg is 1-1 in extra time now.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Congrats to the Jeeps! As the coach at Clay, I wish them well throughout the tournament. We gave them all we could, but they were ready for us. Go S.O.C.!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Leesburg wins the shoot out, 6-5 after game finished a 1-1 tie.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wheelersburg 4
Belpre 1

Wheelersburg vs Leesburg next Saturday for a District title

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

It is nice to see 2 SOC teams still alive in the district finals! South Webster will have their hands full with an always tough Berlin Hiland team. Wheelersburg may have caught a little bit of a break with Leesburg knocking off Zane Trace. Leesburg looks to be a strong team with a good keeper, but do not seem to have as much of a scoring threat as Zane Trace.

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Burg always seems to catch a break which is why they have more District Titles than SW. SW is always stuck playing Hiland where Burg somehow miraculously avoids the tough competition until regionals. Coincidence? I think not...

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Facing Berlin is generally the difference between the "juan" seed or the two. The road to worthington christian runs thru Berlin.

Red Ridding Hood
Riding the Bench

Post by Red Ridding Hood »

Actually the road to Worthington Christian from Webster runs thru Chillocothe and then Circleville, once I get to I-270 I tend to get lost. What is Burgs record vs Berlin Highland or Vs Worthington Christian? Really just wondering about that.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

red riding hood a smart phone or gps can help eliminate the lost part. never a win against berlin and the only way they've seen worthington christian is by google maps. thats why its often said that getting out of the district for any team in the south is like winning a state title. at the district level it becomes big boy soccer from that point on. we can also call upon the elusive drrabbit to fill in any details.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg is 0-4 vs. Berlin Hiland. You can see a full listing of Burg's records against every opponent here: http://burgfan.com/soccer/RecordsByOpponent.html

EHSoccer
Riding the Bench

Post by EHSoccer »

Since someone asked...
Wheelersburg all-time record vs Hiland is 0-4. 1 goal scored, 16 allowed. Scores: 0-1, 1-3, 0-7, 0-5
South Webster all-time record vs Hiland is 1-3. 4 goals scored, 8 allowed. Scores: 0-5,1-2, 3-0, 0-1

Wheelersburg has played Hiland in: 2011(district final Jackson); 2010 (regional semi Philo); 2004 (district semi Athens); 1999 (regional semi I think--- this was old 2 division format and I wasn't at this one)
South Webster has played Hiland in 2010 (district final Jackson); 2009 (regional semi Philo); 2005 (district final Alexander); 2003 (district semi Athens)

There you have it... in the 3 division era Wheelersburg has played Hiland twice in districts and once in regionals. South Webster has played Hiland 3 in district(soon to be 4) and once in regionals.

EHSoccer
Riding the Bench

Post by EHSoccer »

4th n Goal wrote:Burg is 0-4 vs. Berlin Hiland. You can see a full listing of Burg's records against every opponent here: http://burgfan.com/soccer/RecordsByOpponent.html

Nice site. Might be cool if Hiland was spelled correctly. :? What is really interesting to me is for a program with a long history, how few different opponents they have played. I count only 35 different opponents (didn't count Athens twice but they're listed twice) and the majority of those opponents they've played only 2 or 3 times. I keep the same type of record for Hiland and our opponent list has 103 unique opponents.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I would guess that the smaller number of opponents has a lot to do with geography. I don't know, but I believe there are a lot more schools with soccer in the Akron/Canton area than there are in the Portsmouth area. I know that doesn't stop a team from travelling a little farther for a game, but it does make it more difficult. I just looked on the same site I linked above and our football team has only played a total of 66 different opponents and about half of those are only 1-2 games. I would imagine the same would be the case for nearly all of the soccer programs in southeastern Ohio.

EHSoccer
Riding the Bench

Post by EHSoccer »

4th n Goal wrote:I would guess that the smaller number of opponents has a lot to do with geography. I don't know, but I believe there are a lot more schools with soccer in the Akron/Canton area than there are in the Portsmouth area. I know that doesn't stop a team from travelling a little farther for a game, but it does make it more difficult. I just looked on the same site I linked above and our football team has only played a total of 66 different opponents and about half of those are only 1-2 games. I would imagine the same would be the case for nearly all of the soccer programs in southeastern Ohio.

Yes this is all true. It was just surprising to me. I would say though that they Akron is 1+ hours for us and we routinely travel there. The biggest factor more than geography is the double round robin in the league- I know the double round robin is connected to geography and money. In an outsider's opinion this is the single biggest factor hindering the development of HS soccer in the SE district.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hhs wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:I would guess that the smaller number of opponents has a lot to do with geography. I don't know, but I believe there are a lot more schools with soccer in the Akron/Canton area than there are in the Portsmouth area. I know that doesn't stop a team from travelling a little farther for a game, but it does make it more difficult. I just looked on the same site I linked above and our football team has only played a total of 66 different opponents and about half of those are only 1-2 games. I would imagine the same would be the case for nearly all of the soccer programs in southeastern Ohio.

Yes this is all true. It was just surprising to me. I would say though that they Akron is 1+ hours for us and we routinely travel there. The biggest factor more than geography is the double round robin in the league- I know the double round robin is connected to geography and money. In an outsider's opinion this is the single biggest factor hindering the development of HS soccer in the SE district.
I feel like not playing in a league was the best thing that happened during Unioto's really good run a few years back. In 2004 (the year they went to the Final Four) they played: Dublin Jerome, Pickerington Central, Bloom Carroll from outside of the SE and that prepared them for the challenge of a Hiland and also CHCA come tournament time. In 02, we only played Bloom from outside, so while we held our own against Worthington Christian for 65 mins, we may have been able hang with them for 80+ if we had been more challenged like 04 was.

Traveling a couple of hours on a bus is awful, but it helps have you better prepared come tournament time, even if it is just one long trip, especially with fuel costs and such nowadays.

Good luck to all 3 SE teams left on Saturday.

Return to “Soccer”