St. Joe Soccer

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Re: St. Joe Soccer

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

The Flyers are perfect on the season with wins over ports west,south point, beaver eastern,ports clay,and boyd county ky.

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

One game at a time Flyers!

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

ignert1 wrote:St Joe beat Clay 6 to 1 and moved the ball around nicely. Much improved team from last year. Only downside I saw was the coach lets players get away with complaining to refs about every call. He needs to get better control of them. Might help if he didn't do it too. With that said, I think they will do well this season.

I think CB has the Flyers very much in control. Believe me if he feels any of them get the least bit out of line they will know about it.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ignert,
South Point is always strong and are currently 3-1. Boyd County is a AAA or AAAA school. You need to understand that we have only 30 boys in our High School so while we have not played teams like Burg, Waverly or Minford, we are still very proud of our team and 5-0 start.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Im pretty sure South Point got beat by Northwest pretty good....That's not saying much for the pointers

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ignert1, Thanks!!

beawarrior, South Point beat Piketon last night 6-1. The morning paper said they were 3-1. I do not know about them playing Northwest.

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

South Point does not play Northwest until the last game of the year.....

Thunderbutt
Waterboy

Post by Thunderbutt »

Great Job Flyers!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

ignert1 wrote:St Joe beat Clay 6 to 1 and moved the ball around nicely. Much improved team from last year. Only downside I saw was the coach lets players get away with complaining to refs about every call. He needs to get better control of them. Might help if he didn't do it too. With that said, I think they will do well this season.

Every call ????......

On THREE occasions the Flyers QUESTIONED the officials. The first call was a correctly whistled push on the Flyers. The second, a Flyer executed a textbook tackle; two Clay players fell and a sympathy whistle was blown. The third was a no-call: while the Flyers' goal keeper was punting the ball a Clay player ran at him and KICKED THE KEEPER'S LEG.

To their credit, the official immediately apologized to the Flyer keeper for missing the call, and the Clay player apologized to the keeper after the game for his egregious abandonment of sportsmanship.

EACH TIME, the Flyer coach clearly admonished his players to stop talking and focus on execution.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

The Flyers can complain about bad calls if they want. This senior class is very talented and the other classmen that play have stepped up a lot from last year. Although I wasn't at the game, I have been there before and I can guarantee you Coach Blair can control his players. Coming from a school where everyone seems to overlook Saint Joe, you have to complain sometimes because you don't get the same kind of attention athletically as you would if you were a public school with hundreds of kids. These kids have worked hard for their 5-0 season, and they will continue to get better. It was just one game, everyone gets frustrated.

Congratulations Flyers on ur season so far. I have been reading the articles online on the Ironton Tribune. I wish I could make it to one of the games this year, but right now it don't look too promising.

Anyway, keep up the hard work!

UT2
Waterboy

Post by UT2 »

Subject: St. Joe Soccer

ignert1 wrote:Well, I was trying to be nice about it and compliment your team, but if you want to live in denial about the complaining, be my guest. Every call, was of course, an exaggeration, but I have not heard any other team have so many players complain out loud to the ref about calls. It was more than three. Several people noticed it and was asking the ref to yellow card them. I don't think they wanted to hear the complaining, especially being down 6 to 1. IMO it put a bad light on what was otherwise a very well coached team. You can deny it and it will come back to bite you when they get carded in a crucial game and lose a key player, but that is the coaches choice.
The "sympathy" call was a hard foul. When you slide tackle and take out two players your going to get that whistle.
As for the boy who ran at the Keeper, I did see that. He just arrived from Brazil on tuesday. He tried it earlier and was told "we don't allow that here" but he doesn't understand english very well and probably didn't pick it up. The ref asked him to pull up his sock and he didn't understand that.

Well as a neutral observer, I was at that game. Yes, some of the players were complaining, but I heard the St. Joe coaches tell the players to be quiet. The largest gripe seemed to be when the keeper got kicked with clear possession of the ball. This is understandable since I was informed the keeper got his leg broken last season. I know soccer for Clay is not well supported by their school which is a shame. They should get on board and realize all athletes deserve to be supported.

The female keeper from Clay, what grade is she in? Does she play club soccer or any other sports?

UT2
Waterboy

Post by UT2 »

No excuses here, nor did I say anything about their team other than the keeper comment. This must be a touchy subject.
Thanks for the information on Clay's keeper.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

ignert1 wrote:Clay's goalie is a Sophomore and has made some great saves this year, but with Clays weak defense there isn't much choice. I think she plays Basketball and Softball as well. Probably the toughest kid on the team.
As for the kids complainin, I just made an observation. Don't make excuses for them just because they are from a small school or have worked hard. I did hear the coach tell them to shup up, but the point is, they didn't. So take it for what it's worth. I hope they do well the rest of the season.

Making excuses because they are a smaller school or have worked hard? I don't think that is an excuse for a team that is 5-0 on the season and play schools that are twice the size of them. Everyone complains because of missed calls or bad calls, not just Saint Joe. I'm sure that the complaining about the officials didn't help them get to where they are now. They are kids that don't like to lose, and I've been around them before so I'm sure that they aren't whining about some bad calls all the time. Also, since I heard that Clay's player tried to take out the starting goalie, the kids could have been more upset about the officiating considering Clay's player intentionally kicked the keepers leg that was broken a year ago. They obviously knew about it, because he didn't play keeper for the remainder of the season last year. Also since St. Joe beat them in sectionals last year, I'm sure Clay is still a little upset from last years loss, and considering Joe Unger was at that game last year on crutches watching from the bench they had to have seen him.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

From the way I read this thread, it seems that as long as ignert1 say so.....it has to be true. He seems to refute everything anyone else says on this thread as being untrue. When someone questions his statements, there is an excuse at the ready. How about you just agree to disagree and move on. If you don't like the comments about St. Joe being so small, then ignore it.

P.S. I love all the excuses for Clay losing in the Sectional last year. Making all those lame excuses is far worse than a player complaining to an official over a "heat of the moment" call. It's taken you a year to come up with excuses as to why Clay lost last year and you're still not over it.

Return to “Soccer”