Boys Southeast District Games/Scores

Smeltzy
Varsity

Re: Boys Southeast District Games/Scores

Post by Smeltzy »

Meg-a-man................everyone was just trying to be sportsman and gracious in reacting to the game. Then you have to go and talk smack, what`s with that? Yes, LAST NIGHT, was ugly playing for FU and it was not indicative of their play most of the year. I gave credit to Athens being the better team last night and was going to leave it at that. Then you go and have to put us down like that. That`s really sportsmanlike and gracious. Thanks alot.
I still wish Athens the best in the Final. That`s SPORTSMANSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Division II District Semi-Final

Marietta Tigers 2 Chillicothe Cavaliers 1

#2 seed Marietta 10-3-4 plays #1 seed Athens 13-1-5, on Saturday, October 25th at 4:00 in the District Final at Lucasville Valley High School.

Good Luck to both the Tigers and Bulldogs!

luther
Waterboy

Post by luther »

Smeltzy, Meg-a-Man, and everyone else -

I've been reading the preps posts all season and have never replied, but felt that something needed to be said. That is: Meg-a-man certainly doesn't speak for the Athens program or for the majority of Athens fans with his unkind comments. (I don't know who he is, and he never said he was from Athens, at least not in this post). I am from Athens, I was at the game and I personally commend Fairfield Union on a good, clean, well-played game. I know the players would be the first to admit they didn't play as well as they would have liked, but to say it was a wasted trip is just not fair. The Falcons had a very good, memorable season, and it's easy for those of us on the sidelines to judge them unfairly. Congratulations to the young men on the team and the entire FU program. I hope we have the opportunity to play them again next year.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Luther...........I appreciate that comment very much. I apologize for going off on Megaman, but his comments were uncalled for. Again, Good Luck to the Athens team and we will be pulling for you.

luther
Waterboy

Post by luther »

Smeltzy,

You're welcome. No need to apologize. Meg-a-man's comments were off-base and your reaction was justified. Just wanted to let folks know that his remarks didn't come from Athens.

lostgeneral
Riding the Bench

Post by lostgeneral »

Good luck to Athens. They played an excellent game and we for some reason didn't bring the A game. I was very impressed with your speed and anticipation, along with your skills. Good season Falcons. Look forward to watching you play next year.

Meg-A-Man
Waterboy

Post by Meg-A-Man »

I agree, I was a bit harsh and should not have called it a wasted trip. I apologize to the FU boys and their coaching staff. I went to the game expecting to see a cracking match given what I had read on here and the argumen that FU deserved a number one seed. I was just a bit disappointed and thats where I should have left it. FU had a wonderful regular season and your success is not measured by how you perform in one given game.

I am not from Athens and do not represent their program in any way.

Goodluck to both Athens and Marietta this weekend, you have both shown that you are two of the best teams in our district and deserve to be there.

tricky9
Waterboy

Post by tricky9 »

what time is athens v. mtta?

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

Its been moved to 5:00 pm so the kids can take ACT's.

formerbulldog
Waterboy

Post by formerbulldog »

Score?

Keeper
Waterboy

Post by Keeper »

1-1 with Athens advancing on PK's

tricky9
Waterboy

Post by tricky9 »

Good game... I would say Athens deserved the win, they controlled most of the tempo, except for when they packed it in to preserve their 1-0 lead with about 8 mins left. Marietta got a good goal with 1:13 left in the 2nd. Athens goal came earlier in the second half by #9 Jay Jenkins. Not sure who scored the Marietta goal. #4 for Mtta was dangerous all night and it really hurt them when #24 went out with the soft red. He played well in the midfield and had a good shot on goal earlier in the game. Nothing really significant during the OTs, both teams were tired and cramping. Shoot out: Athens goes up 3:2 with 2 shooters left for Athens and 1 left for Marietta, both were missed (one wide one crossbar) and Mtta made their final one. Mtta had one go wide, and one stopped by the keep. 1st round of sudden death pks, mtta sends it over the bar and #21 for Athens, Bob Carpenter, puts it home (goalie got a touch).

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

The first half of the game Athens controlled tempo. I would say the second half and the two overtimes were very even with Marietta controlling a bit more.

A good hard fought game. Wish Athens the best against probably DeSales. We played them last year, it was like men against boys. They scored three right off the bat and took the foot of the gas and just cruised to a win.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

Congrats to Athens on winning districts. Credit to Marietta for scrapping their way back with a goal late in the game (by the way, that was the only goal Athens had given up in the entire tournament to this point.) Both teams left everything they had on the field. Southeastern Ohio was very well represented by both teams last night. It was an intense and hard fought win for Athens. For those of us that are a bit older fans of Athens, it was also especially nice to see Athens exorcise the demons of Marietta knocking us out of the state tournament year after year when we were both in DI in the 1990's.

Nice to see Athens get another district championship. Since Athens joined DII in 2001, Athens has won districts in:

2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008

Five district championships in 8 years. Way to go Athens!!!

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

Berlin Hiland 3
Eastern Brown 2

Minford 1 OT
Wheelersburg 0

I guess Minford will take on the Hiland Hawks. Good luck Minford and congrats on your district championship! It has been a few years since your last one (don't know when it was). I believe you guys have a good chance at beating Hiland this year.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Division II

The Athens Bulldogs, 14-1-5, next play Columbus St. Francis Desales 15-3-1 in the Regional Semi Final at Chillicothe Paints Stadium on Tuesday10/28 at 7:00.

Division III

The Minford Falcons, 17-2, will face the Berlin Hiland Hawks 11-7-1 in the Regional Semi Final at Philo High School (Southeast of Zanesville) on Tuesday 10/28 at 7:00.

Good Luck to both the Bulldogs and Falcons!

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

halftime score

Minford 2
Hiland 1

formerbulldog
Waterboy

Post by formerbulldog »

Any update for the Athens game?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

DeSales 4
Athens 0

Athens played very solid defensively, but had almost no offense(one great chance, one other good chance) 2 quick goals in each half for DeSales.

Nick Kellogg had 2 goals for DeSales.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Minford Falcons 4
Berlin Hiland Hawks 1

Congrats Falcons!

Return to “Soccer”