9/4 Minford vs. Waverly

pcohio
Varsity

9/4 Minford vs. Waverly

Post by pcohio »

Minford travels to Waverly on Thursday, September 4th...Any predicitions?
I can't see Minford stopping Waverly's explosive offense...Waverly 4 - Minford 1

t10
Waterboy

Re: 9/4 Minford vs. Waverly

Post by t10 »

i would have to agree...unless they somehow can start working the ball better and using the left sid of the field.... Waverly 3 Minford 0

soccerdude
Waterboy

Post by soccerdude »

i think it will be a tight match but i must say that ive seen both teams play and i think minford will come out on top of this one if they can keep their heads in the game..
minford-3 waverly-2

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

AFTER READING ABOUT THE THE MINFORD -WEST GAME I HOPE THE MINFORD COACH CAN HOLD THE REINS ON HER PLAYERS. I THINK THAT MINFORD IS STILL THE TEAM TO BEAT IN THE SOC. I JUST HOPE THEY COME INTO WAVERLY AND PLAY WITH CLASS.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

From what I have heard Minford now has an exchange student ( I guess he wasn't here yet for the Burg game) who will help a great deal with the inexperienced Minford defense. This will slow but certainly not stop Waverly's strong front line. Both teams have played Unioto with similar results so I am going to predict a draw for this match. 3 to 3 with very physical play from both sides.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

I have just been told that Evan Price has not played the last two games because of an injury. If he is not back for the game against Waverly then my prediction will change to 3 to 2 Waverly.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Both teams have explosive offenses, but from the games vs. Unioto, Minford appeared stronger in the back. I think Waverly will win the game and the score could be ridiculous if Price does play for Minford. I'd put the Over/Under on this game at 9.5, LOL.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

Forgot to take penalties into consideration. How many do you suppose will be against Minford PCOHIO? If two is your estimate for when Waverly visits Burg Iguess I should use that number since Minford is at Waverly. Waverly 4 Minford 2

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

Last time I heard a score it was 4-1 waverly

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Final score 4-3 WAVERLY. Waverly had two handballs in the box for the last two goals. Very clean game.

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Yes it was a very clean game. As a Minford supporter, I would question the PK call given to Waverly, but I can definitely see it going either way (he was surrounded by 2 players and everyone fell). However, the Minford goal that was called back seemed like a bad call in my opinion. If the player didn't interfere with the shot, then he was not offside, and he played the ball off of an opposing player (the keeper) also rendering him not offside, but that's my own personal opinion:) Waverly was definitely the better team, but I was incredibly impressed by Coach Havens' half time adaptations.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

As a Minford supporter, I would question the PK call given to Waverly, but I can definitely see it going either way (he was surrounded by 2 players and everyone fell).

Two defenders took down the Waverly attacker in the box without playing the ball...This is exactly what it was called, a PENALTY! The SECOND handball called against Waverly was definitely more questionable!
What is going on with all the Penalties in the SOC this season?

Great win for the Tigers! Waverly definitely needs to work on "finishing" matches...
Halftime vs. Burg = Up 3-0, Final 3-2
Halftime vs. Minford = Up 4-1, Final 4-3
Neither of these matches were as close as the scores would indicate, Waverly just needs to keep that "killer instinct" throughout the entire 80 minutes...The Tigers could have easily scored on several other occasions if the player with the ball would have made a PASS across the face of goal where he had two players wide open instead of shooting over the bar each time!

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

To me it looked like a classic flop in the box. Burg couldn't have done it better! As for the second hand ball the ref was within spitting distance and could clearly see the play unfold. Which is probably why he did not tolerate the back talk from the waverly player. Props to the Tigrers coach though for giving him a talking too when he came off the field after the yellow. As for the penalties in the SOC, stop making them and they will stop calling them. Would you have rather they didn't call the penalty in the box against Minford? Take the one point win and be happy with it pc. I look for Waverly to continue on and win the SOC hands down. Congrats to the Tigers!!

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Flop in the box?? Which game were you watching??
He got tackled!!!

This argument could go on and on...I just find it amazing that when the penalty goes AGAINST Waverly, it was a good call by the ref, but when the call is for the Tigers, it was a "flop" or the ref screwed up the call....

As for the second hand ball...It was clearly ball to hand (there is a difference in case you didn't know) and the player gained no advantage from the touch...This is not even a hand ball much less a PK!!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

B1OHIO I TOO DISAGREE WITH THE FLOP ACCUSATION BUT WHAT A GREAT LINE
"BURG COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT BETTER"

soccerdude
Waterboy

Post by soccerdude »

miford getting two PKs at waverly?? wow i thought everyone said that only burg could do that..maybe waverly does have a little trouble in the box after all..

Fox40
Riding the Bench

Post by Fox40 »

For all the people saying something about the two calls they were correct calls.

1st: The goal that was called back was a simple call of a player being in an offside position when the ball was first played. Page 46 in the rule book has this same play and it is an offside call. The player that finished the play was in an offside position when the shot was taken. The ball by rule can touch the goal or keeper and any player can play the ball except the player or players that were offside when the kick was taken.

Page 46: A shoots the ball at the goal and the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper to player B. The goal is disallowed since B, who was in an offside position when the ball was last played by A, was in active play and gained an advantage by being in that position. Offside and No goal.

Section 2 page 51

Handling: A player shall be penalized for deliberately handling, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with a hand or arm. Penalty: Direct free Kick or PK

In this play the player stopped the balls normal movement. If the player allows the ball to continue you do not have a foul.

One last point...all of these calls are made without a chance to sit back and look at them. You get one chance at calls and most refs call it as they see it. People want to get on here and talk about the calls without reading the rule book along with the casebook. Some of you need to get a clue on the offside call before you make the statement on this site. It would be nice to see people ask questions before making up a rule just to sound like they understand the rule. It was a great game between to good high school teams so I think people should be talking about that and not about how someone made a bad call or whatever! This is High School Sports....Sportsmanship!

Watch a video of the game and see that the calls were very tuff but were called correctly!

Return to “Soccer”